Chumbimba

LOST IN LIFE :(

39 posts in this topic

@Chumbimba

Okay, next decision is college or not. There are some Programmers without college Education, however it won't be easy to get the foot in the door. If you won't go to college learn the basics for 2 months and then find a job with opportunity to grow. 

@supremeyingyang I remember as a kid playing video games and not quitting on a level until I beat it. This brings me back to that time in my life. That level of achievement and satisfaction. I feel it deeply. I currently work at WGU I get a 75% off discount on an Online Computer science degree. then I am going to get an M.S. in Software Engineering at ASU online.  

The plan is good. If you can meet regularly in flesh with fellow programmers, for example in a hackerspace . The culture is important too. And build simple stuff immediately, try to get to more complex problems on each iteration.

Next thing is your first language. Do you know a programming language? Many People say Python is easy to learn and well documented. However, I've started with Javascript (bad choice for a first language), learned R for university statistics and now I'm somewhat professional useful in ABAP.

I strongly recommend you read this Essay from Eric Raymond now. It's called 'How to become a Hacker', however, this means not criminal. If you don't know the term other than as a synonym for Cyber Criminal, you can translate it as Hacker = Programmer + Wisdom + Ethics + Style.
If that resonates with you, you should read Dave Thomas and Andy Hunts Books. Pragmatic Programming , Pragmatic Learning
If nothing else please read this 160 page book full of tricks of how to learn better and faster : The little book of Talent

This guy Aaron Clarey is somewhat useful on the grand picture, but he is stuck in blue/orange. Be careful with these youtube teachers anyway... the indian tutorial guys are ok, though :D

YOU CAN DO IT!

Edited by supremeyingyang

DON'T. GO. INTO. COMPUTER. GAME. INDUSTRY.
https://time.com/5603329/e3-video-game-creators-union/

The conditions are fucking bad and the stress is high. What is worse? Everyone wants to make games, thus there is more supply of worker than demand.

You like games, so you think this is cool. It's not. @Leo Gura please tell him about the problem one faces in game industry (if you have the time of course)

Okay, I am going to focus on websites, apps, and computer software. 

I would bet you to think about it. You can go into the game industry, but be aware of that struggle. Maybe it's just for you.

I hope is this was not too much . Do you want to know something ?

20 hours ago, Chumbimba said:

I am afraid to drop out and have that label "college drop out" and seem stupid to employers and not being able to find a steady income.

LOL, it's the exact opposite in my country. Usually those who drop out or learn blue collar jobs are seen to have more common sense, and usually have way higher paying jobs. Being a contractor, electrician or a construction worker here for example could net you like 8k-15k a month. 

Edited by fridjonk

@fridjonk

Maybe no one cares because there are not enough people on that island ? After all you are fun sized compared to other countries in terms of population. I mean how many people do you have ? 200.000? (ok i googled it, it's 400.000). The Metropolitan Area i live in has a little more people than whole iceland. And how many come in the country? All I want to say it is interesting but not comparable to the U.S. ALTHOUGH many people start to dismiss college education to be an autodidact

Whatever, don't be fearful @Chumbimba . Listen to the Kayne West Album "College Drop out". Be bold

ps : but i recommend that you do your online university

Ok, here is one crappy joke for Iceland . I can't resist .

How do you win an election in Iceland ?
You ask your friends to vote for you - all 3 .

@supremeyingyang Haha even though it's a small population, its advancement is so rapid that we're always on the edge of survival. Seems like we're as small as a 1st world country can be and still function (barely). 

1 hour ago, supremeyingyang said:

Ok, here is one crappy joke for Iceland . I can't resist .

How do you win an election in Iceland ?
You ask your friends to vote for you - all 3 .

Oh i wish it were that simple. ?

1 hour ago, supremeyingyang said:

@fridjonk Do you know Næturvaktin ? I loved that show.

How in the hell have you seen that ?  it's the nations most beloved TV-show. I love it ^_^

6 hours ago, fridjonk said:

How in the hell have you seen that ?  it's the nations most beloved TV-show. I love it ^_^

Well everyone has to go through the valley of shadow and death. In my case I lived with a hardcore christian and a stalinist in a shared flat (we're still friends, but everyone were in personal hardships). We we're extremely nocturnal (uptime : 3pm to 5am). The Stalinist tried to talk us in all sort of political questionable shit. We had a plenum and we bought all our food together, which was quite a hustle because the stalinist was into fried food. I gained 10kg in no time.
The hardcore Christian claimed we would been like these Nightshift guys. So we watched it - it was an instant classic.

How was the signature move of the communist ? "I have 2 bachelors and 1 master !!" xD

It's okay to fail in business. I have done it plenty of times and I am still here. It might be worth it for you to do the 9-5 and save up cash. If you are really not feeling college and have no goal for being there, then I would leave. But I will admit there is usefulness to college, but you can teach yourself a vast amount of information.

I have been kind of playing around with the idea of trying to help people with their business stuff. I am no expert, but I have some experience. If you like you could message me some of your interests/hobbies and I could try to help you generate some ideas for your first business.