Spaceofawareness

Methods to “remember” ones true nature when drawn back into the ego

11 posts in this topic

After realising the true nature of what “I” am, pure awareness, I find I still get drawn back into the ego and its stories. It happens very subtly, I might be in presence the whole day, observing the stories the ego is trying to weave, and knowing that is not my true nature. But there can come a point during the day, maybe when things become busier and routine goes out the window, when the ego manages to “step in” and take the reigns, and upon doing this, “I” am now along for the ride, until I manage to realise that I am no longer centred in awareness, which gives me the opportunity to “step out” again.

My question is, is this normal for this path of realisation, to be occasionally phasing in and out of pure awareness? If so, how can one (without down the path of psychedelic use, I have a family and “real” life to attend to as well, so this is not an option, at least for the time being). 

As I have mentioned, I stay mindful as much as possible through the day, thankfully my work allows this due to its repetitive nature, It has become routine to the point where it can be carried out without direct intervention from my awareness, meaning I can “float free” during the day, observing it all. I practice sitting during the evenings, before bed (this is my only time I can do this), and I have found this allows me to remain more present during the day at work, it is more at home that I can snap back into ego, especially when young kids bring up emotions of frustration. 

Does anyone have any methods for remaining mindful, even when situations like this “test” ones ability to remain in a place of presence?

thanks.

5 hours ago, Spaceofawareness said:

Does anyone have any methods for remaining mindful, even when situations like this “test” ones ability to remain in a place of presence?

Great self observation.!

Cynthia Bourgeault gives the teaching of sensing the feet as a quick grounding exercise which also works well with establishing continuity of consciousness.

https://www.endlesssearch.co.uk/exercises_sensing.htm

This link elaborates on the idea,,,,

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

@Spaceofawareness  Question the possibility that this human primate and "ego" are your true nature and "pure awareness" is just a temporary state.

Question all the teachings you have heard and everything you have read here. Find your own truth.

@Stakres thank you Stakres, I am naturally sceptical and have only come to this conclusion through my own observations of the impermanence of all other states. It might be that I am all of it, the ego, the body, the mind, and the awareness... but while the ego, comes goes and changes, the body changes, the mind and thoughts change, I have noticed what does not change is the very awareness in which all of this is presented. 

21 minutes ago, Spaceofawareness said:

I have noticed what does not change is the very awareness in which all of this is presented. 

Good observation!

Hi,

There is nothing outside of THIS. You're always present... where else could you be. 

Have you ever experienced anything outside of THIS?

Everything happens within this non-dual Oneness and it's what's happening / THIS!

If your separate self temporarily takes over and runs the show it's what's happening within THIS. One way isn't better than the other although it seems that way at first. There is no right or wrong, Awakening is either something that happens or does not..

The more you starve off this separate self the easier it becomes to stay conscious almost all the time. 

It seemed to take me about a year and a half to start seeing some major progress...❤ 

Hope this helps ?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

“Methods to “remember” ones true nature when drawn back into the ego”

If you inspected the thoughts instead of assuming they’re true, you would no longer believe in an illusory need to remember anything. That there is an ego, is a thought you’re believing. Believing that thought IS “the ego”. 

On 1/25/2020 at 6:49 PM, Spaceofawareness said:

After realising the true nature of what “I” am, pure awareness,...,

....I have a family and “real” life to attend to as well, so this is not an option, at least for the time being). 

....especially when young kids bring up emotions of frustration. 

Inspect your belief which you’re referring to as “situations like this”. There’s no “situation like this”. All of the meaning, you’re creating. Then, trying to undo. If the thoughts are not believed in the first place, there’s nothing to undo...no need at all to remember any method. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I would say its good to get drawn back to the ego because practice makes perfect as it happens more and more you’ll be able to catch it more and maintain more on the observeble side of  things in your day