Cocolove

Best way to save for life purpose?

6 posts in this topic

For some background. I am 18, a senior in high school, and plan on going to college after probably taking a gap year. I will make another post in the future about whether or not I should take a gap year, but for now, I am thinking I will use one to learn permaculture in a permaculture village(which is a small bet for a possible LP), and to go on meditation retreats.

I found one program that runs a year, and looks really great. I would learn so much and definitely come out with an answer or at least new direction. It would cost about 8 to 10 thousand total for travel, extra expenses, and a fee for a $6.3k for a year rent for a room there, food, and to fund the permaculture experts who teach. This seems like a pretty good deal to me.

This place:

https://ranchomastatal.com/

I have around 4k saved up, but I would rather make around $10k in the next 6 to 10 months so I don't lose any money. 

I could obviously make this working a few months to half a year in a full time minimum wage job. I signed up for the Doordash app so I can start, my schedule does not allow for a work schedule, I don't have the time with school. 

I don't want to do this, I don't think it will add any real value. It would be cool if I could learn to make money online, I don't need to be rich, just to make 10k. This may be a better way.

How would you go about making this money? What should I research? 

7 minutes ago, Cocolove said:

I found one program that runs a year, and looks really great. I would learn so much and definitely come out with an answer or at least new direction. It would cost about 8 to 10 thousand total for travel, extra expenses, and a fee for a $6.3k for a year rent for a room there, food, and to fund the permaculture experts who teach. This seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Man just volunteer at a farm through the WWOOF or Workaway US platform. You get free accommodation and food. 

6 hours ago, Everyday said:

Man just volunteer at a farm through the WWOOF or Workaway US platform. You get free accommodation and food. 

I guess that might be a better option

But I haven't found one that meets my needs for wanting to really learn permaculture yet.

Edited by Cocolove

7 hours ago, Cocolove said:

For some background. I am 18, a senior in high school, and plan on going to college after probably taking a gap year. I will make another post in the future about whether or not I should take a gap year, but for now, I am thinking I will use one to learn permaculture in a permaculture village(which is a small bet for a possible LP), and to go on meditation retreats.

This place:

https://ranchomastatal.com/

I have around 4k saved up, but I would rather make around $10k in the next 6 to 10 months so I don't lose any money. 

I could obviously make this working a few months to half a year in a full time minimum wage job. I signed up for the Doordash app so I can start, my schedule does not allow for a work schedule, I don't have the time with school. 

I don't want to do this, I don't think it will add any real value. It would be cool if I could learn to make money online, I don't need to be rich, just to make 10k. This may be a better way.

How would you go about making this money? What should I research? 

Look at the library. Read The new Japanese minimalism. 

I found it online and bought it. I am not exactly on that level. The pics where you see possession after possession. The shift to minimalist is vast and often enlightening. 

I have ways to go. I can get by on very little. I am doing Leo's purpose course. I have accounted for the costs and time by estimating i will likely do a 100x what I paid for it. If you can afford it, do it. 

If you take a gap year, TRAVEL. See the world. Don't travel posh. Do it cheap and from a minimalist perspective. Cheap hostels. Interact. Learn game and pickup. Develop social skills. 

Whats your plan for education? Imo study STEM or trades. Anything you can learn from the library don't do. If you can attend a community college and stay close to home you will be better off. Check salary for the position in your potential field. 

I saw a source that over a trillion of the student loan debt is women and sadly, the choice is not stem nor anything that pays. 

You can't declare bankruptcy on student debt. Its blood money. Don't do it. Apply for grants and scholarships. 

@Meetjoeblack Not sure, might study psychology but I am heavily doubting I will, if I decide to go to college. I do plan on traveling very minimalistically, on the other hand, my intention wasn't to travel but to go to some place for an extended period of time. Minnimalism won't save me money here I dont think.

I would be careful with stuff like doordash. You can actually lose money with some of those types of things if you are not tracking your expenses right.  Also, depending on the area and what not it might even make less than minimum wage.