Hansu

Mastering your body

8 posts in this topic

So, Im 25 years old and my studies are almost done (Only thesis left), I have permanent job, taking the first steps towards my dream career and basically I have met or gained tools to meet 95% of my materialistic needs.

My grand goal is to master my body in next 5 years. I want to perfect it like Roman athletes, functionality first with the looks coming on the side. I want to build mindfulness on my bodily functions, build flexibility, build muscle, perfect my eating. I want to take my body to the extremes in healthy sustainable manner that I can keep up until my death of old age. The more I work on my thesis, the more my hunger for this goal grows. I've been thinking about it for months on end now, and I want nothing more than to finally start my journey :D

Does anyone here have such a grand goal when it comes to health and fitness? If so, what is your planned timespan to reach the goals, how are you doing on your journey and what are thing you've learned so far?

I’ve been in the fitness industry as a coach for over 3 years and studied exercise science in university. 

Much of my younger days were spent powerlifting and bodybuilding. This wrecked my body and I had to completely retrain myself how to move.

Now my biggest goals are to optimize my gait cycle and to continue fixing muscular imbalances. 

My advice to you is to get into functional training. Don’t segment the body with isolation work like your typical gym goer does. It’ll lead to pain and injuries down the road.

Two of my biggest mentors have been Paul Chek of the Chek Institute and Naudi Aguilar of Functional Patters. I encourage you to look into both of you’re wishing to master physical movement. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

16 hours ago, King Merk said:

I’ve been in the fitness industry as a coach for over 3 years and studied exercise science in university. 

Much of my younger days were spent powerlifting and bodybuilding. This wrecked my body and I had to completely retrain myself how to move.

Now my biggest goals are to optimize my gait cycle and to continue fixing muscular imbalances. 

Thanks for the tips! Im going to grab the "Power of posture" from Naudi Aguilar right away

A part of my plan is to perfect my posture early on my journey, so that I can keep track of it in case it changes due to muscular training and correct it.

How did you notice the muscular imbalances in your body and how did you came to the decision that you need to correct them?

@Hansu it becomes pretty obvious when you learn to see it.

Almost everyone now days has a kyphosis (rounding of the shoulders coupled with a forward head posture) and an anterior pelvic shift (not to be confused with an anterior pelvic tilt which may also be occurring). A anterior pelvic shift looks like your weight being heavily on your toes and a slight bowing of the body (hips shifting forward).

Another major issue is the “core”. Most people’s abdominal walls don’t function correctly. Meaning portions are either too weak, not working together, or too short/long. More than likely a combination of these.

The hard part is fixing it.

Any muscular imbalance should be addressed. It may not hurt now but it’ll lead to pain down the line and an increased chance of injury. 

Once you get to a point where the body functions efficiently and without compromises in mechanics, it becomes pretty easy to maintain a healthy amount of muscle and high level of performance. You also breath a lot better too.

Naudi’s Power of Posture book will be a tremendous resource for you. I highly recommend his 10 week online course as well if you’re wanting to fix postural deficiencies. 

@Austin Actualizing tbh I’m not a big fan of those. They wont fix the root issue. It’s a bandaid solution. Your shoulders will go back to being pulled forward when you take it off.

If you suffer from kyphosis you need to focus on lengthening the pec fibers (use a combination of stretching and MFR), lengthen the cervical flexors (muscles in the front of the neck) and strengthen the thoracic spine (mid to upper back area). Look up “thoracic extension” exercises and focus on that. Or YouTube search “functional patterns kyphosis” for more info.

Chest up, shoulders back ;) 

Personally I’m into energy mastery. Soccer is my craft, and I was eventually lead to food freedom. It’s been an intense spiritual journey with some intense emotional breakthroughs just this year. Late last year I tapped into energy cultivation by shifting modalities, ongoing meditation and using the breath and chi gong exercises. I’ve never felt more healthy in my life and I’m nearly 30. 

body and mind are one the mastery of one will include the other 

No beginning or end to self mastery xD

Edited by DrewNows