JevinR

Making A Multi-verse

19 posts in this topic

Hello, I have an idea of making some sort of virtual reality or multi-verse sort of plane of existence similar to a dream state where you can control anything and everything purely through your mind or make any reality where you can experience anything such as going back in time and to experience say world war in oschwitz or whatever you can think of creating. It would need to be some sort of computer simulation or similar to a warp drive in star-trek where you are transported or beamed into the area. I'm not sure about the practical applications of this idea. Project would take years without funding or research, an idea although. Also thinking of taking sci-fi ideas and making them real.

Edited by JevinR

Your idea would be amazing if implemented, but unfortunately we do not have the technology to create such a platform yet. We are still premature in scientific advancement when it comes to neuroscience and connecting to the brain. We need to be able to scan someones thoughts and interpret them correctly, before we can begin to consider implementing this idea, and we still have some ways to go before achieving that.

Impracticable. I would not recommend investing the time. Create your present ideal and memorable so looking back your satisfied with the decisions you made 5 years, 10 years, 15 years ago. 

@Ike Carter Virtual reality would be an amazing idea for scientific tests limited by say resources, or for miscellaneous things such as in the entertainment industry. It was an idea, but the world is built on ideas.

Edited by JevinR

If you want any of that to even be possible you need to hop on the computer science bandwagon and start studying your ass off man! ;)

@MarkusR You would need to know everything from tech, to physics to cybernetics/engineering. It seems to crazy of an idea to pursue, would also need lots of funding so forget it for now.

@JevinR Well if you had knowledge in one of those fields and a bit of capital you could assemble a team for that. But yea, I do see something like that being created in the future. Video gaming so realistic it feels like a hyper realistic lucid dream.

@MarkusR So many "realistic"people on this forum, I saw this guy from RSD:

You got into personal-development because you have all these crazy ideas, and you wan't to be "realistic" ? You think Steve Jobs was realistic? These people piss me the fck off. Arnold Schwarznagger's biography is amazing, the dude was so god-damn stubborn and wanted to become a champion so badly. This is why I don't like sharing dreams to haters, they just sit back and talk shit.

On 6/8/2016 at 10:02 PM, JevinR said:

I'm not sure about the practical applications of this idea.

@JevinR The most practical application of this idea... is that we don't know the most practical applications of this idea.

This idea of virtual reality is such a tremendous shaking of the foundations of what it means to be human. Hell, of what it means to be alive and to experience the world.

In my opinion, this (along with other advanced technologies) can open the doors to unrestricted creativity. It could create a world of unlimited resources, unlimited possibilities, directed towards unlimited benevolence and growth. The likes of which humanity has never seen. The likes of which humanity has never thought of. But most importantly, the likes of which humanity could have never possibly imagined beforehand.

It's the kind of technology that will help us jailbreak the limitations of physics and the human mind itself. Or as some people say, it could be a way to turn our minds inside out.

I think our job now is to spread the word and give people some time to dream about what reality could be. About what the word "human" could mean, if we invent the tools to rewrite its definition from scratch...

@Philip This is interesting, but I'm thinking this is for entertainment industry mostly, what does society need most right now? 

2 minutes ago, JevinR said:

This is interesting, but I'm thinking this is for entertainment industry mostly

Ok yeah, sure. It will start with only entertainment in the beginning. Because technology is always so limited when it starts, but always so game-changing when it matures. I think we call entertainment "entertainment" only because it's still a superfluous and minor part of our life. 

But imagine a day when virtual realities literally become more fulfilling than the real one. Imagine if they become more vivid, more complex and more "realistic" than real life. Imagine if every important human activity can also be achieved inside them, only more easily and more powerfully than ever before. Imagine if every important part of what you call "society" becomes digitalized, fully customizable and physically unrestricted.

That's the moment when entertainment becomes life and life becomes entertainment. The moment when society becomes a piece of art...

12 minutes ago, JevinR said:

what does society need most right now?

It demands to be reinvented.

@Philip People could live all sort of fantasies, but is this really the biggest issue at hand? If society was re-invented how would it be a better place, as we still have economic issues, terrorism, poverty. If we do re-invent the future, would it just be for more technological innovation? Has technology really helped us as much as it ought to have helped society?

Edited by JevinR

5 minutes ago, JevinR said:

People could live all sort of fantasies

You just said it. The word "live" is totally appropriate here. It's not like watching fantasy on a screen. It's not like reading fantasy in a book. It's about being able to customize every part of human experience. And by every part, I mean every part.

Forget about poverty, as there won't be any money to lack. Forget about violence and terrorism, as there won't be any fragile human bodies to hurt. Forget about war, as there won't be any limited resources to fight for. Forget about suffering, as there won't be any programmer stupid enough to code something that horrible.

My side of the debate is quite easy to defend, because every time you'll try to point out a flaw about a hypothetical virtual reality, my answer can always be: "Who would be stupid enough to code those flaws in?" 

I've never seen a game where your console melts as soon as the character dies. I've never seen a game where long boring and unpleasant parts are inescapable on purpose. I've never seen a game in which the most horrible parts of human life are recreated in a way that makes the game horrible too.

Today's video games are already a good example of what we want reality to be like: Entertaining, sometimes challenging, but always rewarding enough to make them fun to play. It's just that this time, games will actually be able to replace life. And we'll actually be able to select what we like about reality, reject what we don't, and create marvels that the laws of biology, psychology, physics and logic don't allow to exist inside our randomly created shit-hole of a universe.

44 minutes ago, JevinR said:

Has technology really helped us as much as it ought to have helped society?

No it hasn't

...yet.

@JevinR This is the kind of open mind we need in the world.

Edited by DizIzMikey

@DizIzMikey

There are plenty of people that talk about this kind of stuff for years, Yet some of them do nothing. Try not to be one of those that do nothing about it and make some or part of it happen.

For now the proper approach for this to happen you need to more computing power. The current computing we have is a joke right now. Like stone age technology joke. VR will not happen with a mere 2-9TFLOPS of data. We need way more than that perhaps Even higher than petaflops/exa/zettaflops. Around Exaflops would be ideal for maximum efficiency.

Next we need higher genetic engineering levels and neuro advances in research to make it happen (50-200 years, we know so little about the brain actually). There are some people working on all of the above already. But the milestone will be done slowly. It won't be around our lifetime when all of this happen. We will however experience moving onto graphene computing/molecular computing. Maybe a small chance to see a glimpse of dna computing or quantum computing in action.  Quantum networks for 0 latency is possible too but the chances of it being implemented on our time seems very slim.

If we would be able to create worlds like that I think it will most likely be used first and foremost for scientific research. Then after years of having this open technology maybe it would be launched into the market. 

So no, it would not be primarily used for entertainment, that will be the secondary outcome of this new found technology, like Philip said having this ability would be massively beneficial for the entire scientific community aswell as the human race as a whole when trying to answer huge questions about our existence. 

On 6/19/2016 at 6:42 PM, JevinR said:

@Ike Carter Virtual reality would be an amazing idea for scientific tests limited by say resources, or for miscellaneous things such as in the entertainment industry. It was an idea, but the world is built on ideas.

what do you think you are living in now.

Quantum computing and A.I. will change the world. The biggest difference from "them" to "us" is that they can be tought the very science (C.S.) that created them and can then take part in advancing their own states through scientific breakthrough. Singularity will be when everything just breaks.

I know there is the potential for the incredible.... beauty beyond any beauty we have ever known... I'm sure there are numerous positive benefits, perhaps there are ways this could help speed up enlightenment, etc...That said, as everyone is speaking only of the benefits, here's my "Debbie Downer" rant on the subject;

When you mention things like being at Auschwitz...although experiencing that does have the potential to give a true understanding of the experience, there is also the potential for real trauma, and seriously negative effects to the subconscious.... maybe I've watched too many post-apocalyptic movies, but the danger of addiction, escapism, and resulting physical deterioration are also realistic concerns... and for me, the saddest part would be that the mind-blowing beauty of our true natural world, (the one that we already have around us without any digitization), may pale in comparison to this new fantasy realm.... causing humans to further loose touch with the oneness of the universe that we should strive to connect with more deeply....