The limit of spiral dynamics?

6 posts in this topic

Just came across this footnote in 'The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know Is Possible' by Charles Eisenstein, thought it may interest some of you:

For those in the Integral community, here is something to chew on: the utility of the Spiral Dynamics map is nearing a limit, because it itself is an expression of Yellow consciousness. It is therefore ill-fitted to illuminate much more about the levels beyond Yellow, at best it can translate and reduce them to the conceptual apparatus of Yellow consciousness. That has not been a problem until recently, because nothing past Yellow had really crystallised yet

Seems like he has a point...

Many yellow-turquoise people have shadows (unhealthy sides) of green, orange, blue, red in them.

Do you trust an individual turquoise person to edit the model?

I'm not.

A mass of yellow-turquoise people is required. Not sure if we have that mass today.

Edited by Nivsch

🌻 Stage Yellow emerges when Green starts to have tolerance and respect to the variety of views within HIMSELF. Israelis here? Let me know!

it only will reach a limit if the people using the models are limited - there is no reason why it should. as long as people can understand that there is never just one colour at work. the moment spiral dynamics reaches a limit, we are limited to not go further into the dynamics at play in spiral dynamics. healthy and unhealthy starts with the bias that anything has exhausted itself. in exhausting itself everyone would reach a limit, but limits are there to be questioned.

This reminds me, Ken Wilber talks about a third tier in his book. It seems to be some (or to be very, very highly correlated with a) fusion of psychological developement with non-dual awareness/enlightenment. Unfortunately though, his book is so extremely long and repetitive from the few chapters im into. 663 pages, with each page having a lot of words. He even has an extra 100 pages of notes, whatever that means. 

It's like he's trying to spell everything out to make it understandable and accessible. But anyone who's into this work and will get the most value from what he says is of sufficient intelligence and intuition to not need so much hand holding. I would write a book review for it if I was motivated to read the entire book despite so much repetition. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

On 21/12/2019 at 0:20 AM, Stretch said:

For those in the Integral community, here is something to chew on: the utility of the Spiral Dynamics map is nearing a limit, because it itself is an expression of Yellow consciousness. 

Looks like a new model is in order. What would a turquoise or coral model look like? 

I thought Turquoise paradigm was much more about psychic abilities, which is something many Yellow individuals can't swallow yet. In Turquoise paradigm there's also the idea of connection and community, which is not very compatible with Yellow's individualism.