Ampresus

I want to start working, but also want to do volunteer work

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

(If you couldn't care less about the context, main question is down below in Bold.)

I am very young. Usually this shouldn't be much of an issue, but I hope it helps you understand the situation I am in. I want to start working, but not at McDonalds. Or be a pizza delivery guy. I realized that I didn't need the money. I really don't. My parents buy everything I need and I don't want to go through the boredom/stress/stupid boss experiences because of a minimum wage job. All my friends already have jobs, I am the only one left behind.

I want to work for the United Nations someday. Help people in third-world countries. I think it would be good for me to get out of this corporate western society for a while. I also want to help nature, help species in Africa which are close to extinction. Thing is though: I am not 18. And no non-profit seems to be willing to hire someone of my age. Trust me, the UN made it clear that I should be at least 18. 

My parents, friends and even my uncle suggested I should get a normal job so I can get my own money. That it would be smart for future me to stand a chance in the competition that is the adult-world. I, personally, just don't feel like doing a dead-end job. I want to help people in need. I think this would also benefit my Green side more.

Extra stuff which might be important for the topic:
- In a few years, if stuff goes right, I'll be going to Uni
- I have 0 work experience
- I am well aware that Leo and other people on this forum stressed ''fixing your skillset'' and that I should really be focussing on that more than work experience, I am just curious about what you guys think about this

So my main question is: Should I focus on getting a 'normal' job (9-5 type of thing), or just ignore it and try finding volunteer work?

You don't have to get a shitty dead end job. What are your interests? 

You could do freelance work, start a small business etc, no need to go get a shitty job. 

But working can also teach you some important life lessons, also, no offence, relying on your parents will backfire in the long run, I get you're young now but be careful in the future, pave your own way in life :) 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

I would take advantage of the fact that your family is well provided for and that you don't have to work some sort of shitjob but can rather dedicate more time to finding something more meaningful. Internships are good entry points. This means working for free for a respected company where you will most likely provide some sort of administrative service but you will: 1. Gain the CV entry which you need 2. get potential opportunity to be hired by them later (happened to me in my first company) and 3.obtain good contacts that may come in handy. 

You can start volunteering anytime. Lot of employers have great respect for people who do volunteering. Perhaps there are ways you can do some beneficial volunteering work on weekends such as helping out with three plantings, working in community gardens or so.

You can also move abroad for a while and work with endangered animals although this would prevent you from having another job. Borneo's Sepilok Orangutan sanctuary for example does a lot of volunteering, been to the place myself and saw many volunteers running around. There are elephant parks in Thailand such as in Chiang Mai who do that as well and lots of other animal sanctuaries in South-East Asia. You can also find places that help to re-grow deforested areas etc. 

I know this doesn't resolve your dilemma but it is you who needs to strike this balance. You say you are young so you probably have 65+ years ahead of you if you take care of your health. Don't see every task as "means to an end" but see it as a new fascinating experience and a chance to learn. If you think that you want to go to Malaisia and work with endangered animals for 6 months than go do that and don't look back, no regrets. Have a time of your life, learn as much as you can and gather as many contacts as you can. If you think that you need an actual job first, go get an internship and spend 3 years building up a career while doing occasional weekend volunteering for local community, then take a break and go do some volunteering in Asia. Whatever you decide to do is fine as long as it makes you fulfilled :) 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

You need skills brother. 

This is the time for you to:

1. Meditate

2. Study Spiral Dynamics

3. Optimize your Health & Fitness

4. Contemplate & Journal

5. Start building a Vision for what you want your life to look like.

You're not going to want to live reliant on your parents money as it usually comes with sneaky baggage. You are going to be entrenched as time passes.

I would recommend you do the Life Purpose course as it seems you have some what of a vision of what you want your life to look like. 

In short, Don't get a 9-5 job if you don't have to. 

"You'll never be able to escape from your heart. So it is better to listen to what it has to say"  - Paulo Coelho 

Lucky. Treat your parents like God. You can do whatever you want to work. Ideally, consider entrepreneurship. You will never be a employee that way.