carlo

Which Is The Quickest Way To Enlightenment?

13 posts in this topic

According to leo is the neti neti method or self inquiry, but  Shinzen Young talks about strong determination sitting plus some form of meditation called "expand contract". does anyone tried both tecniques?

here is the tecnique of Shizen Young https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYSSf71Vo7w

Also I want to know if is better do the self inquiry with the guided video of leo, or by oneself. because with the video sometimes I am trying to focus my atention in the sensation of my skull (where I believe I am until today) but then leo keeps talking and that distracts me, but without the video it is so more easy to get lost in monkey mind and miss the flow. 

@carlo

:D I think it's safe to say that self inquiry is a skill that you can learn to do yourself, soon enough. 

I can't imagine Ramana Maharshi was constantly plugged into YouTube while on his way to Advita heaven...can you?

Try expand contract, see if it works for you.  To be honest of it's a decent meditation practice it will work.  I still recommend "do nothing" because you can continue to practice anywhere you like, even while on the can!

Warmly

Mal

spend some time considering the notion of infinity, like a philosopher would

spend some time considering the notion of absolute nothingness

what are their dimensions, what would they look like, what are their possibilities, what would the implications if they were real, where are they, how would they relate to your experience right now?

can you imagine them, what do they feel like, can they be felt?

can you touch it, can you imagine it, can you think of it, can you be it?

Edited by Lorenzo Engel

"I gently pushed my hand into my pocket and pulled the last one out, it trembled at first and clung to my hand. "Go on, it will be ok," I whispered. Encouraged, it flexed its wings and I knew the time was right. It flew up towards the blue, blue sky and I looked proudly as it's made its way to freedom. The last of my fucks was finally given."

etc etc

be creative, use your atention

Edited by Lorenzo Engel

"I gently pushed my hand into my pocket and pulled the last one out, it trembled at first and clung to my hand. "Go on, it will be ok," I whispered. Encouraged, it flexed its wings and I knew the time was right. It flew up towards the blue, blue sky and I looked proudly as it's made its way to freedom. The last of my fucks was finally given."

You're gonna have to hit this from a lot more angles than just one video or one technique.

You have to take it upon yourself to break down your whole mental model of self and reality. Question, question, question. This is not a mechanical process. It requires conscious questioning and REAL wondering.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@carlo  you can use music during your meditation to stay concentrated, check this for example

@carloI would also recommend to do self-observation. You can observe and analyze some of your feelings and emotions by thinking what actually caused them. Was that really a person that made you angry (for example) or was that something else. Or why did you feel uncomfortable in a certain situation. You will see that there can be a very long chain of different things that created a certain emotion or feeling. That will also help you to understand how your mind dictates you what to do. You can make quite a big progress with it, since you will understand the nature of your own actions and the nature of other people`s actions. In such a way you can remove labeling and judging to a tremendous degree.

@All_Around_Me @carlo I also like the approach Adyashanti suggests:

he often says something like: rather to try to become enlightened one should try to get rid of conditionning which makes you stay in a dreaming state, acting as you always did without knowing why.. Your post points to it, "all around me" right?

@MartineF I guess it does, self-observing can be that one thing of many others, which can help you to wake up faster.

@Mal

On 4.6.2016 at 7:06 AM, Mal said:

I can't imagine Ramana Maharshi was constantly plugged into YouTube while on his way to Advita heaven...can you?

Lol. 

[insert quote here]

@carlo The "quickest" way would probably be to cut off all contact from stimulants and distractions, and go live in a forest somewhere, dedicating your whole time to self-inquiry and meditation.

That's an extremely mentally tough route to take however, but usually the hardest mental training you can endure is what's going to yield you the highest gains.

The quickest way to enlightenement.  Stop trusting in the "I" thought that wants to attain enlightenement and that you believe to be yourself. :D

If you hurry, become impatient, it means you have not accepted suffering and are eager to be done with it. In that case you have not understood the glory of suffering. You do not know that as you suffer you are being cleansed and purified and absolved from all that is worthless and useless. You have not recognized suffering as a friend yet. It is only at that point that you attain to self-restraint. He who recognizes suffering as a friend is in no hurry. He can maintain his patience, and enlightenment is attained only through patience - infinite patience. To attain enlightenment is not a paltry thing to be instantly attained.