Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rasheed

Beginner Self-Inquiry, Question.

9 posts in this topic

I did self-inquiry, today for the first time. What I did was this: Take 30 minute timer, and focused completely on being, feeling of being. Anytime thought arise, I asked myself: Who is Thinking? And went back to focusing on the feeling.

• is this the right way to do self inquiry? Or this is not even self inquiry at all?

To be honest, couple times I thought that I was not even self inquiring, but I still kept asking the question, and focusing on the feeling...

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

@Rasheed Yep.

I appreciate you 

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

@Rasheed what worked for me is inquiring into what i was, actually.  Realizing i wasn't the body or the brain.  Realizing what i truly was i could not pin down in form anywhere.  Just that i thought i was this entity behind the eyes.  I recommend listening to Leo's enlightenment videos in order.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

2 hours ago, Rasheed said:

I did self-inquiry, today for the first time. What I did was this: Take 30 minute timer, and focused completely on being, feeling of being. Anytime thought arise, I asked myself: Who is Thinking? And went back to focusing on the feeling.

• is this the right way to do self inquiry? Or this is not even self inquiry at all?

To be honest, couple times I thought that I was not even self inquiring, but I still kept asking the question, and focusing on the feeling...

Extend it slightly...

Who is thinking?

-   I am.

What is the source of this "I"?

Who is focusing?

- I am.

Go to the source...and abide at the source.

Ramana Maharshi said one of the main purposes of self enquiry is to quiet the mind...so if you found you are thinking a lot and have to re-focus often...then you were simply by-passing thought and refocusing on feeling...but that may not have been self inquiry.  Self inquiry is not simply repeately asking 'who am I" or 'who is thinking'.  Self inquiry is to go to the source of these thoughts.

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

7 minutes ago, eputkonen said:

Extend it slightly...

Who is thinking?

-   I am.

Who is focusing?

- I am.

Go to the source...and abide at the source.

Ramana Maharshi said one of the main purposes of self enquiry is to quiet the mind...so if you found you are thinking a lot and have to re-focus often...then you were simply by-passing thought and refocusing on feeling...but that may not have been self inquiry.  Self inquiry is not simply repeately asking 'who am I" or 'who is thinking'.  Self inquiry is to go to the source of these thoughts.

Is the source, the feeling of being, the feeling of IAM?

Being, Silence, etc.  There are many pointers.  But I would say not "IAM", because there is no "I" in it...instead you would ask "what is the source of this "I"?  So 'feeling of AM' would be a better pointer.  Prior to the I-thought.

Edited by eputkonen

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

48 minutes ago, eputkonen said:

Being, Silence, etc.  There are many pointers.  But I would say not "IAM", because there is no "I" in it...instead you would ask "what is the source of this "I"?  So 'feeling of AM' would be a better pointer.  Prior to the I-thought.

It is about asking what is the source and then feeling the being, instead of asking question: “Who am I”?