Rasheed

Can individual eat same foods and meals every single day?

9 posts in this topic

Is it okay to eat same foods and same meals every single day? Is it a myth that eating same foods and same meals can cause problems? 

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

26 minutes ago, Nak Khid said:

it depends on what the foods are

I mean, healthy food, not processed junk...

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

Also depends on what kind of healthy food. I guess, the correct way is to eat what your body requires and your body's requirements change every single day. So if you eat the same thing over and over again, mindlessly, even if it is 'healthy', it becomes unhealthy. I think you might observe that you feel more hungry in winters than in summers. You feel like having hot/spicy/fried food in rains, its the natural way your body manages to deal with the climate. Depending on where you live, eat local seasonal foods. And by that you can eat the same meal, just the ingredients change. I have been eating the same breakfast of fruits and dry fruits for 2.5 years now. But the fruits vary according to their availability. Some days I'm not very hungry, so I skip the dry fruits. Some days I'm not at all hungry, then I skip the fruits as well. So follow signals from your body. Don't make rules or habits ;). 

15 minutes ago, rNOW said:

Also depends on what kind of healthy food. I guess, the correct way is to eat what your body requires and your body's requirements change every single day. So if you eat the same thing over and over again, mindlessly, even if it is 'healthy', it becomes unhealthy. I think you might observe that you feel more hungry in winters than in summers. You feel like having hot/spicy/fried food in rains, its the natural way your body manages to deal with the climate. Depending on where you live, eat local seasonal foods. And by that you can eat the same meal, just the ingredients change. I have been eating the same breakfast of fruits and dry fruits for 2.5 years now. But the fruits vary according to their availability. Some days I'm not very hungry, so I skip the dry fruits. Some days I'm not at all hungry, then I skip the fruits as well. So follow signals from your body. Don't make rules or habits ;). 

What about protein? Protein sources are same in every season...I don’t know...really what I am interested in: If individual consume right amount of carbs, protein and fat, all from healthy sources, but consumes it from same meals, would eating same meals every day have a bad affect on him?

You can definitely have dietary staples but nutrient variety is essential. If you eat the same exact thing every day thats a way to develop nutrient deficiencies. But, you can use a template in a sense by keeping your core meals similar (protein source, fat source, carb source) and just throw in variations of those macros now and then. On the other end of the spectrum, don't go all over the place and start experimenting with entirely new foods all the time. Keep track of what foods your body responds to the best, what you personally enjoy and what nourishes you the most.

13 hours ago, Rasheed said:

What about protein? Protein sources are same in every season...I don’t know...really what I am interested in: If individual consume right amount of carbs, protein and fat, all from healthy sources, but consumes it from same meals, would eating same meals every day have a bad affect on him?

Theres such a wide range of nutrients your body needs, you need to vary it up a little. Also you could be overexposed to certain foods and need to give them a break from time to time. Vary your proteins. Some times have chicken breast, sometimes have turkey, both are similar macros and are lean but not all the same. Sometimes get proteins with some more fat (egg yolks, fatty fish) but dont make that your only source because then your fat intake will probably be too high in time and maybe cholesterol. 

IMO its most important to get as much variety in fruits and veggies as possible. There are so many different phytochemicals out there. Think the rainbow, you want to get in all the colors of the spectrum as much as possible. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

23 minutes ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

You can definitely have dietary staples but nutrient variety is essential. If you eat the same exact thing every day thats a way to develop nutrient deficiencies. But, you can use a template in a sense by keeping your core meals similar (protein source, fat source, carb source) and just throw in variations of those macros now and then. On the other end of the spectrum, don't go all over the place and start experimenting with entirely new foods all the time. Keep track of what foods your body responds to the best, what you personally enjoy and what nourishes you the most.

Theres such a wide range of nutrients your body needs, you need to vary it up a little. Also you could be overexposed to certain foods and need to give them a break from time to time. Vary your proteins. Some times have chicken breast, sometimes have turkey, both are similar macros and are lean but not all the same. Sometimes get proteins with some more fat (egg yolks, fatty fish) but dont make that your only source because then your fat intake will probably be too high in time and maybe cholesterol. 

IMO its most important to get as much variety in fruits and veggies as possible. There are so many different phytochemicals out there. Think the rainbow, you want to get in all the colors of the spectrum as much as possible. 

Thanks. I asked this question because when we eat same meals, it is easier to stay consistent, but Your point also really makes sense to me. 

1 hour ago, Rasheed said:

Thanks. I asked this question because when we eat same meals, it is easier to stay consistent, but Your point also really makes sense to me. 

No prob, yes its much easier, just try new things here and there and switch some ingredients up. You will most likely want to anyway, your taste buds will be drawn to other things, get tired of it, re-introduce later maybe, the cycle continues 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

20 hours ago, Rasheed said:

I don't think it has a bad effect in a large sense. There are subtleties though. For example, some grains are harder to digest than others, some vegetables require more chewing than others, etc. and so eating the same thing everyday might hamper the use or elasticity of stomach muscles or the exercise it provides it? I try not to go by calculations of proteins and fats and carbohydrates. If you are sensitive to your body, it will ask for certain foods and you have to feed it those foods. That takes care of whatever is needed. How do I know? - I crave sweet things when my blood sugar drops very low. I crave bananas when I'm low on energy. Of course, I don't have to get this tested every time. The craving vanishes when you eat foods that satisfy the 'deficiency'. You might need to test it out though, I'm speaking from personal experience.