Bridge to Infinity

Disliking "Street Culture" | I am probably stupid....

7 posts in this topic

Please read this post fully.

When i say Street/Hood Culture it is not a label put on any race or specific group of individuals.. rather it is race independent and is to do with an individuals lifestyle/behaviour.

Street/Hood culture to me means the following:

Impolite behaviour, resorting to physical violence to settle conflicts, bullying people for being different, oriented towards tribalism, gangs, hatred for unconventional artistic expression, drug dealing, social-domination, closed mindedness, "big ego", a disliking of education, lack of emotions, toxic masculinity, violent rap music... In other words alot of stage red habits.

In the back of my mind i feel like the judgement and hatred i have for this type of behaviour is ignorant...

To put it bluntly: My disliking of this culture is probably stupid.

I have had a lot of personal unpleasant and sometimes threatening experiences with street/hood cultured individuals.

Here is a short list of experiences i've had with street/stageRed/ hood individuals:

• Almost getting mugged
  • Asocial behaviour (A guy held the subway train door open until authorities came and took him away) many more like this but this is just the most recent one.
  • My friend got mugged
  • Having stones thrown at me for no logical reason
  • Ridiculed
  • Beat Up
  • Kneed at my job 
  • Shouted at and harassed by a "hood culture" manager
  • Stares from strangers that seek to dominate you 

the list goes on...

I fundamentally dislike this behaviour/way of being.

Am i wrong? Am i being unconscious about something here? Is it discriminatory to hate this "culture"? if yes... please explain how and what i can do to have a more conscious perspective on this matter.

Why does it seem like the popularity of this culture and lifestyle is increasing?

I live in the netherlands and I have personally witnessed the rise in this culture/behaviour/lifestyle in the last 5 years.

Edited by Bridge to Infinity

Regarding your description of "street culture", it seems like you are upset because:

29 minutes ago, Bridge to Infinity said:

I have had a lot of personal unpleasant and sometimes threatening experiences with street/hood cultured individuals.

You then ask:

29 minutes ago, Bridge to Infinity said:

what i can do to have a more conscious perspective on this matter.

Deconstruct the matter. You say you feel hatred toward them because of personal reasons: it feels unpleasant to you and you feel threatened. You can look at those feelings. There is no need to label them as "wrong" or "bad". They are just feelings within you. What are these sensations like? Is it a sharp pain? Where is the feeling? In your chest? Your gut? . . . Why are those feelings arising in you? What is it about you that you are perceiving the world in this manner? As well, observe the thought story. How often do you have thought stories about this? When you engage with this rage thought stories, what happens to your body? Does the discomfort increase?. . . What are you doing that may increase the intensity of perception? Do you think about it a lot? To you vent about it on forums? Do you watch YT videos about it? Do you talk a lot about it? Do you visit parts of the city that can amplify these thoughts and feelings?. . . Once you deconstruct this at your personal level, you can expand. . . You can start to learn about the lives and the struggles of "street people". You can start to learn about their suffering and why the act the way they do. You can start to develop compassion, empathy and love for them. Perhaps you will become an advocate and start a non-profit organization to help street people to live more fulfilling lives. 

@Serotoninluv Reading your post was very insightful! I understand what it is i must do to understand them better. BUT to investigate further.....

Is it wrong or foolish of me to not want to listen to rap music and to not want to be involved with hood cultured people?

2 minutes ago, Bridge to Infinity said:

@Serotoninluv Reading your post was very insightful! I understand what it is i must do to understand them better. BUT to investigate further.....

Is it wrong or foolish of me to not want to listen to rap music and to not want to be involved with hood cultured people?

Yea, the work isn't easy.

Just my take. I'd probably let go of the judgement whether the feelings are "wrong" or "foolish" and try to simply observe. If you don't like rap music, you don't like rap music. You don't need to try and force yourself to like rap music to be a better person. 

It seems like you don't like how you are feeling and perceiving. You can't change street people, they are the perfect them. If there was a movie of your life, who better to play the street people in the movie than the actual street people? They are the perfect street people characters, just how they are. However, you can change your perception and how you relate to street people, such that it doesn't bother you anymore. You may be satisfied with that. You might not be bothered anymore and it is a non-issue in your life. Or you could go more advanced such that you feel love for street people. . . I think Leo's first video on "What is Love" covers this well. 

1 hour ago, Bridge to Infinity said:

• Almost getting mugged
  • Asocial behaviour (A guy held the subway train door open until authorities came and took him away) many more like this but this is just the most recent one.
  • My friend got mugged
  • Having stones thrown at me for no logical reason
  • Ridiculed
  • Beat Up
  • Kneed at my job 
  • Shouted at and harassed by a "hood culture" manager
  • Stares from strangers that seek to dominate you 

30 minutes ago, Bridge to Infinity said:

@Serotoninluv 

Who says you have to listen to rap and be involved in hood culture? 

Just because you share the same humanity doesn't mean you have to share the same mentality.

Listen to rap if you like rap. 

The popularity of hood culture is increasing in my country, the UK, because of the European Union. Free movement of people attracts red centred people from poorer countries and the police don't have the budget to deal with certain crimes. The police are very frugal with their budgets. People understand this and so more crimes get committed because it's easier to get away with. The justice system in your country just doesn't have the resources to deal with everything that goes on. Notice you listed petty crimes there, those things and minor thefts dont get investigated by the police. 

@Nickyy Ever since the surge in immigration from countries of lower spiral dynamics development, i have started to notice a rise in primitive and asocial behaviour in the streets.