Philipp

The emotional toll of uncertainty

6 posts in this topic

Being carefull with my words, thoughts and actions, whilst chatting with other people, makes me feel sad.

When I am talking to people, I am uncertain about the ideas I say. I realize in the moment of speaking how limited ideas can be (even if they are much more progressive than mainstream ones). 

Being this uncertain makes me feel vulnerable. And it also stands in the way of social bounding, especially with those you strongly dislike uncertainty. But we all dislike uncertainty to a certain Degree, I would argue. The vulnerability of uncertainty can also help bounding, but only if the other can allow this degree of uncertainty.

I think uncertainty is an essential component of growth. The ego prefers certainty, probably because it does not have to change if it is certain.

Being uncertain is difficult. Being uncertain makes me want to cry.

How do you guys handle the emotional toll of uncertainty?

Do you think Humor is an effective way to get relief and to reenergize?

Have you tried to portion your uncertainty (allowing unconsciousness)?

Have you tried to be only as uncertain as the other can accept, when chatting with them?

We all dislike uncertainty, but if you're a traditionally controlling person (like me) you're going to hate it even more.

This is really something you will have to face if you want to live life to the fullest. You got to get to the point where you'll be able to trust your ability to handle whatever kind of shit life throws at you, RIGHT THEN AND THERE. You already have all the tools available to handle uncertainty, you only need to work it and learn to trust it. And not let your controlling tendencies come in and interfere. It takes courage, that's for sure. Start small, in amounts you can handle, and build yourself up from there.

One huge hurdle for me was not really knowing what I truly wanted out of a situation. For example, when socializing, I would be too preoccupied with making a good impression, rather than actually enjoying the moment and making the best out of it. You know, just talking about things you like for the sake of your own enjoyment, doing things you think would be fun. This might sound obvious to some people, but to me it was a huge revelation. Focus on what brings you joy, and not all the problems you believe to be there. When you're rooted in joy, that's such a strong motivator to push through uncertainty.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

@Philipp You can be certain of here and now. Learn to just be, experience reality without thinking, and be happy with what is.

Phillip, you would need to describe more about what you are uncertain about or the type of things you are uncertain about

Yes, the world is constantly changing. This has its benefits and its negatives. It can sometimes be hard to handle uncertainty but keep reminding yourself that uncertainty also brings good changes. Also, not everything is out of your control :) 

I have an opinion on everything :D