RichnNL

Myers Briggs and Self-Actualization

5 posts in this topic

I have a theory that I would like to involve others in and I think its something that gets overlooked. I do not want to debate the validity of the Myers Briggs here, for me I find the model is not perfect my any means but I find that I can fit people into the categories it has for people and it helps me better interact, understand people and myself in combination with other models. (You can skip the section below in between the lines if you know it already)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So a quick overview the Myers Briggs says basically that people lead by a primary cognitive function and have a secondary cognitive function that determines how you see the world and make decisions. And it is important to note that you have somewhere inside you all the functions but you lead with one. Similar to how you may be right handed but probably use your left hand for other things. There are 8 cognitive function but only will talk about 4 because it relates to my theory.

Basically, the model says you are either primarily a sensing type or an intuitive type and those two types are then divided into introverted sensing or extroverted sensing and likewise introverted intuition or extroverted intuition. Its important to note that a majority of the worlds population is sensory roughly 70% and I find this in my daily life to be true. However I could imagine that if you are interested in this work or are even on this forum you are probably an intuitive type.

I find Sensory people are every practical, and they have the advantage of being able to get things done, and being less so in lala land like an intuitive person. Sensory people life in the past and the now, where Intuitive people life in the future and love abstract ideas, they like thinking outside the box or about box itself. Intuitive people I find will internalize ideas for themselves where Sensory peoples believes and values come from the outside world. I also observe that sensory people are more likely to support whatever religion they were born into even though you would think they would not because they are more hands on and practical. But the thing is and this is the key different, is that Sensory people are not going to spend time thinking about the why or abstractions unless it is directly related to their survival. (If this is not detailed enough please read into the 8 cognitive functions)

Sensory people I think have many benefits over Intuitive people for sure and one danger of being an Intuitive person even though you are less likely to succumb to group think and tribalism, because you take some idea from the outside world and carefully process it for yourself you are more so at risk at being disillusion and believing whole hearty in your own self disillusion. Where a sensory persons disillusion will more likely come from the outside world like some political idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally here is my theory, that Sensory people in order to self-actualize are at a significant disadvantage. I can quickly identify if someone is an intuitive or sensory person and even when a sensory person gets into spirituality or epistemology which will be at a much later stage in their life when they already every material thing they want, their understanding of it is extremely superficial. Here is a great example, if Jesus ever existed he was definitely an intuitive type, his followers with most people being sensory cannot (well not cannot but it takes them significantly more work) really understand his message, because sensory people are so practical they take things literal and have a hard time taking some abstract idea and applying it to their life. They work more so in if x then do y, and it is very difficult for them to understand the mathematical formula involved from why and how X becomes Y. This is not related to intelligence I interact daily with people far more intelligent than I am but if you talk to them about anything in self-help or any of Leo's topics even if they take a slight interest in it. For them it can only be arm chair philosophy because it requires going deep within yourself. I would argue that a strong sensory person is not going to understand what going deep within yourself even means and that even if they understand what it means they just would never do it because it is not practical enough.

So what does this mean practically is what I wanted to discuss or if my observations have any truth to them. Also I wonder for Leo or any coaches if they either subconsciously or consciously realize this person I am talking to is either sensory or intuitive so let me cater the way I explain something to them. 

I invite you to learn a bit more about MBTI.  My non scientific studies show we all have advantages and disadvantages.  S types I think can be better at living in the moment which a goal some of us N types work on. 

Further, Just because S is your first or second function, the third function is often the one that really interests us through the middle of our adult lives when we switch to our fourth function as interesting.

Finally, ENTJ is an excellent example of an N type who gets things done in the real world.  They have the tools to rise to the top and make the world the way they want it.  Te vs Ti can explain which people cause their will upon the world. 

Like most things, we all have our own path. Understanding how my path is different than others' seems of value to me as I can better put advice and ideas into context. Looking at other's shortcomings doesn't usually benefit me in my own growth.

53 minutes ago, drmiller100 said:

I invite you to learn a bit more about MBTI.  My non scientific studies show we all have advantages and disadvantages.  S types I think can be better at living in the moment which a goal some of us N types work on. 

Further, Just because S is your first or second function, the third function is often the one that really interests us through the middle of our adult lives when we switch to our fourth function as interesting.

Finally, ENTJ is an excellent example of an N type who gets things done in the real world.  They have the tools to rise to the top and make the world the way they want it.  Te vs Ti can explain which people cause their will upon the world. 

Like most things, we all have our own path. Understanding how my path is different than others' seems of value to me as I can better put advice and ideas into context. Looking at other's shortcomings doesn't usually benefit me in my own growth.

ENTJ also make the most money out of all types

Intuition without real life data is useless, and vice versa. So if you have superior intuitive skills, you are still going to crash and burn in the real world if you lack the practical skills and ignore the details (something which is quite common). Thus, I don't think your theory holds water. They might have the ideas, but they will save a harder time actualizing it.

Thinking without feeling is also quite useless btw, because you'll end up thinking about stuff that isn't really important. ENTJs might get stuff done in the real world, but due to demon Fi they might not even be aware of what THEY want, something which is a huge hurdle to self-actualization.

And intuitives are not less likely to succumb to group think. If you're serious about this work, I'd advice against relying on stereotypes.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

An INFJ here xD

I've also studied some MBTI. It is an interesting and helpful model for understanding your personality and other people. Helps me to understand my current ISFP partner xD

At the same time, it is just a model. Every personality is unique, its hard to fit us in boxes, there are so many combinations.

About your idea, yes, I also think that most of the people writing here are N types. All S types, stand up, would be nice to hear your views about the topic.

Do N types have an advantage over S types in self actualization? Well, it probably depends on the definition of self-actualization. I think related terms are knowing yourself and living up to your potential and living life freely the way that suits you. Of course there are probably other definitions. Maybe S types are less likely to be into meditation and enlightenment, but I'm not so sure if that's gonna be in the way of their self-actualization. Maybe it is not everyone's life goal to become enlightened, but they can still be thriving to become the true version of themselves in ways that are natural to them.

Just some points that came to my mind xD