EvilAngel

To those people who never get offended or take things personally...

22 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, EvilAngel said:

I want to know what your secret is. Are some people just predisposed to being more easy going? 

I can be way too sensitive sometimes, and it's something that I hate about myself, but I can't seem to change. 

Its hard to say. 

I think for part of my life I was emotianally numb, so it was just natural for me not to react too much to things.  

Narcissism was one component, I finished first in class and was always at or near the top so I thought I was smart enough to not have to worry about other people's opinion.  

It probably got ingrained into my identity when I was a young kid you was prone to crying and showing emotion even when i felt like internally i was only feeling a small amount of emotion, so I got good practice repressing away even the tiniest bit of sadness/anxiety which followed me for a while. 

So for me I keep calm due to that response being ingrained when I was young, narcicism, and more recently, I view my negative emotions as an avenue for growth so if someone can make me uncomfortable or offended, I'm usually pretty happy/comfortable putting myself into those situations knowing I'll grow from them. 

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

21 hours ago, EvilAngel said:

I want to know what your secret is. Are some people just predisposed to being more easy going? 

I can be way too sensitive sometimes, and it's something that I hate about myself, but I can't seem to change. 

19 hours ago, Bill W said:

To those people who never get offended or take things personally...

If the emphasis is on never, then don't be too hard on yourself with the comparison. I'd imagine in terms of people who never get offended or take things personally, I bet this doesn't apply to anything above 0.1% of the adult population. Probably less than that even. 

To not take things personally or get offended makes you Elite. Special Forces level of self-development. 

I'm just trying as hard as I can to get better at this, but boy, do many of us like holding onto our resentments and sensitivities. I think it was Wayne Dyer who said that we often end up walking around just waiting to be offended. Looking for it. Searching for it. 

Whenever I see something in life, on YouTube or sometimes on forums, when someone would normally act offended in that given scenario and they don't.... I think "I wanna be that guy". I admire this trait and skill so much. To transcend being offended. To transcend taking things personally. That's a one way to ticket to serenity. 

you just need another perspective on the entire life spectrum.