Lorcan

The Game Plan?

11 posts in this topic

Analysing Leos video for HighSchool/Secondary school video.

He talks about building a strong foundation.

So would be a Good idea to "Ace" school as such and study for perhaps thirty minutes to an Hour a day?

I beleive leo says something like " If you cant ace school , how are you are going to ace other things in life"

What does it mean to even try your best, people say try your best as if it a simple and little thing, IF I were to try my ABSOLUTE BEST at school, I would think that one might go slowly insane or end up very weary.

What IS to try your best, anyone can sit down and study for 5 hours a day, its entirely possible for me, or someone else to do that. Although I dont do it for fear I will be weary or it will make me more miserable.

So when someone says try you best, its almost as if they dont know what they asking, as if I am totally incapable of doing 5 hours study as if to elminate the possibly.

Also, in my school we have to learn as compulsory Irish, A long dead language. I wouldnt mind if this was an optional subject, but its forced!

Its USELESS  a few people in the west of Ireland speak it, and among thos people who speak it are poor country folk.

So WHY should  I try my best, wasting my mental energy on a dead language , I have no interest in. ITS STUPID. Whats that I hear you cry? Do it for college points at leaving cert? 

Its Hundreads of hours of wasted education worth a fraction of college points. I think not. And YEs I do understand the concept of " Use the time, dont let time use you".

But Irish shouldnt be compulsery it should be optional, wasting prescious hours of education on a dead language cant be justified

2 hours ago, Lorcan said:

But Irish shouldnt be compulsery it should be optional, wasting prescious hours of education on a dead language cant be justified

What about Latin? That's a dead language and yet thousands of people study it. learning another language, any language, will give you an insight in the structure of language. And because your thinking is 'limited' by language, learning another language will give you a unique insight in how other cultures, and people of your own culture, think.

Yes the world should only speak one language, what's the use of multiple languages when we can just avoid all the hassle of translators, studying languages and such. Let's also ban art, art is just as useless as having multiple languages. What about history? Useless. Literature? Pretty useless. Philosophy? Yup, useless.

Y'know, if we cut out all the things in the world a lot of people find 'useless', there isn't much use to go on living. Character is the thing that makes this world worth living in. The diversity of all the personal expressions give color and meaning to our lives. Seriously, Irish is fucking cool. When you grow up you'll learn that pure pragmatism has its place in the world, but it doesn't provide that true intrinsic value. 

Feel free to disagree

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@Lorcan The stuff that seems unimportant that we learn in school build neuron pathways in the brain and expands our awareness. Education/ learning was one of the few items Leo listed in his must-have things in his recent video on minimalism, and for a good reason. That dead language you're talking about is part of your country's history and the 'father' of the language you speak now. If you're overwhelmed with your studies, try to un-clutter some of the other stuff out of your life - hobbies, hanging out with friends, family commitments, etc. 

http://www.actualized.org/articles/lifestyle-minimalism

@Lorcan

Try to enjoy what you are learning at school if possible; try to make yourself open to the merits of what you are trying to learn. I would not advise spending too much time on just school, but more on knowledge itself. If you don't feel that what you're learning is meaningful, focus your time on learning something else. Don't put more effort into school that you have to. Instead of thinking of it as acing school, think about acing education. Even if others may not realize the effort you put into learning other material, you will at least know that you have made an effort to learn something meaningful. 

I do agree with you that Irish should not be compulsory for you; I can see the point of making learning another language compulsory, but there is no need to reason to force one specific language. 

Realize that you should moderate how much time you spend in school; I personally feel that I should be spending a little less time, not more; though I do feel that I should be more consistent. Sometimes, I spend much more time than I need to dwelling upon a matter (such as when I spend three hours more than I should on an assignment even though the quality of the piece and my mark is unaffected by this excessive effort). 

Learn to focus on judgment above all else in such matters. Do as much work as you feel is necessary; eventually you will find what works for you.

11 hours ago, brovakhiin said:

Can't agree with this. Putting all your time into studies will cause frustration and burnout. You need to be developing social skills (which are ultimately more important than good grades in career life) as well as doing consciousness work. In my opinion these things are both a lot more important than good grades in school. Hang out with friends, meditate, get out into the world. Don't think that you need to be acing school for a fulfilled life, you'll be fine. Trust in your higher self to guide you.

That's not what I meant. Balance is important. If you watched Leo's vid on minimalism, you'd see my point.

On 5/26/2016 at 11:17 PM, David1 said:

What about Latin? That's a dead language and yet thousands of people study it. learning another language, any language, will give you an insight in the structure of language. And because your thinking is 'limited' by language, learning another language will give you a unique insight in how other cultures, and people of your own culture, think.

The point is Latin is not forced down my throat, Latin is an optional language choice in the schools that offer it.

But you see , in my school a dead language is being forced down our throats, why there is just the same amout of Science classes as there is Irish classes. We are forced to learn this lanagauge.

Getting a couple a points for college isnt meaningful enough me to learn this lanaguage, neither is it a good motivator to study a dead language just for college points.

If education is the key, Im telling ,school must be the f*cking lock.

School is a bitch, but hey thats a rant for another thread.

On 5/26/2016 at 11:44 PM, vizual said:

Yes the world should only speak one language, what's the use of multiple languages when we can just avoid all the hassle of translators, studying languages and such. Let's also ban art, art is just as useless as having multiple languages. What about history? Useless. Literature? Pretty useless. Philosophy? Yup, useless.

Y'know, if we cut out all the things in the world a lot of people find 'useless', there isn't much use to go on living. Character is the thing that makes this world worth living in. The diversity of all the personal expressions give color and meaning to our lives. Seriously, Irish is fucking cool. When you grow up you'll learn that pure pragmatism has its place in the world, but it doesn't provide that true intrinsic value. 

Feel free to disagree

You are misinterpetung what I am saying, I am not opposed to variety or objects.

Irish to most people ia uselesa, thats why it should be Oprionalbfor those who find meaning in it.

However, it is forced down our throats, this is why I am opposed to it. I dont think anything is absolutely superior to anything else, they are all have there strenghts and weaknesaes.

I have no motivations to learn Irish as it ia very little use to me, I have no Honest Intrinsic motivations to learn it.

I will not learn it for "the sake if learning" because , the only Thing  I would really be learning is the irish language.If  I had invested those hours into something I find more useful. I would be better off.

I dont lie to myself by saying Im going to leatn irish for the sake of learning, because thats bullshit as Irish to me has no use, its dead and would receive little happiness or practicallity from learning it compared if I spent my time learning something I would use to accomplish my goals.

Misinterpratation is unavoidable in anything that is written, Oh well xD

Study money, learn to make that idea into reality....  that will never be a waste of time.... 

Reality can not be avoided...

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16