Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
7thLetter

What to do when a family member owes you money?

7 posts in this topic

The main goal, would be to get your money back, but not destroy the relationship.

What are some healthy ways to handle the situation of family members owing you money?

I'm sure there's many manipulative ways to get the money back from them, but that only hurts the relationship.

I often fall into this situation myself. At this point, it doesn't matter who it is, I don't really trust anyone with money. There needs to be some sort of collateral before I start lending anything. I could name a couple people in my life and in my past who owe me money right now.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

> What to do when a family member owes you money?

"Let it go bro"

Think twice before borrowing money, forget about money when this already happened.

Edited by dimitri

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

If you lend someone $50 and never saw them again, it's totally worth it.

You gotta give us some information. A nuanced answer requires a nuanced info.

@dimitri Nah don't like that answer. Leo posts a recent video on letting go, so now all forum members start theorizing and answering threads saying "Just let go."

Letting go is mainly a technique of letting go of the emotions attached towards something, not to sit around and let people step on you and take advantage of you.

@Truth Addict Good one.

What information? The question is there, how do we handle this situation in the healthiest way possible? Doesn't have to be my situation, just the situation in general.

Want information on my situation? Dad said he'd pay for my flight ticket, had a great 1 month vacation, went back home, didn't pay me back. -$1000. Years ago he also didn't pay back car payments that he said he'd pay me back for. Never got that back either cause I didn't do anything about it.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

@7thLetter

The vacation ticket payment is kind of hopeless, as it was your ticket. He didn't commit to paying you, I don't think he owes you anything here.

The car payments thing is old, he probably doesn't even remember what he said. It's really inconvenient for me to talk about something like that.

I'm sorry for destroying all of your hopes. But that's how I would act if I were you.

Edited by Truth Addict

@Truth Addict Actually I didn’t go into much detail about the ticket. Me and him went on a vacation to our home country, he wanted me to go, first time meeting my cousins and aunties and uncles. He said he’d pay for my ticket cause I’m frugal and $1000 on a vacation is not a wise decision for me. If he’s paying I’ll go so I went.

I stayed for a month, he stayed 2 months. After I left he gave me the $1000. At that point its like cool he paid me back. When he was coming back home, he had to buy a one way ticket. He has no credit card so I had to use mine and buy the one way for $1000. Then theres the money gone again. When he got back he only gave me $200 when I asked.

So technically he didn’t pay me back in full for me buying HIS one way ticket back home.

But who cares, I’m asking a general question and my situation doesn't matter. Even google has better answers than these ones here

Edited by 7thLetter

@7thLetter

A general advice would have to be manipulative.

You can drop hints, but don't expect anyone to collect them or respond to them. The worst case scenario if they understood your hints is that they turn the tables and get mad at you. 

There are no guarantees, but you can try.

You can lie to get your money but you will lose the other person.

You can plan for a vacation or some other project(s) and tell your father that you need some money, and after you have them, he shouldn't ask you to return them. If he does you can remind him.

Or you can simply forget about it and invest in your future instead of trying to catch up with the past. And most importantly, be careful next time.