Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raptorsin7

Meditation and Flow

11 posts in this topic

How can i use my meditation practice to help me get into flow in everyday activities. Stuff like class work, basketball, softball,  and conversations/social situations. Is there a type of meditation practice that is more conducive to cultivating flow in our everyday lives. 

Also, for the enlightened folks on here, can you access flow states whenever you want in your life? Were you able to enter flow states before becoming enlightened?

Thanks (:

@Raptorsin7 Search HRV (heart rate variability) or heart coherence training. You may also want to check out heart coherence monitors. It's been found that well seasoned meditators  have an excellent heart coherence but you can purchase a heart coherence monitor for training to take the guess work out of it.  With the aid of a monitor you'll know exactly when your "in the zone" of flow state by real time feedback. 

It's very easy that it's very tricky.

All you need to do is to stop resisting entirely and focus on the one thing that you're doing without thinking about it. Sounds simple, but it's not easy for most people.

Any meditation practice can help if you practice it for +5 hours a day. Long durations will show you how flow.

Edited by Truth Addict

@cetus56 Never heard of that i'll check it out. But why does monitoring heart rate help me get into flow?

@Truth Addict Why 5 hours? I do an hour of self inquiry per day right now, but my concentration skills definitely could use some work. What will i get from 5 hours that i'm not getting from my current 1 hour practice

@Raptorsin7

It does not have to be 5 hours exactly, and it does not have to be a meditation practice.

If you can practice any activity continuously for prolonged duration, that'll do it.

The point is to learn how to detach from thinking about other activities while you are doing one activity. You need to lose yourself in the activity, and that's basically the flow state that you're looking for. If you practice for long enough, it'll become easier for you to enter the vortex in no time.

Of course, it's just my opinion.

@Raptorsin7 Just another perspective, but rather than stopping resisting, which is itself resistance, see the what and why of your “resistance”. Perhaps you have have framed it up before seeing what it is. It might be the very Flow you seek.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

13 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

But why does monitoring heart rate help me get into flow?

@Raptorsin7 It's a form of biofeedback that's often used in sports such as triathlon, Olympic, golf, tennis, ect training for optimum performance. The monitor connects to your computer or tablet then gives direct readings of coherency between heart, mind, body, breath. It takes a relaxed but concentrated awareness to stay in the sweet spot or "zone" as it's called in sports. Training with the monitor will allow you to return to that optimum flow state even without it's use given enough practice. The software keeps a history so you can see the difference in score when you are out of practice. I find it a useful tool when used with other meditation practices. This one being targeted more tword sports and flow state.

@cetus56 Wow so this tech can actually be used to monitor how close i am to flow in any given meditation session??? So presumably i could hook my self up, meditate for 2 hours, then track how close i was to flow in any given session and work from there? This sounds like technology that is years away so im definitively skeptical.

@Nahm But how do i know what is resistance to flow? I honestly don't even know if i've had a legit flow experience in life, at least not recent enough to where i remember it. I'm usually pretty mindful in class, but i usually oscillate between being lost in thought and focusing on what the professor is saying. I feel like there's a better way to experience class but i don't know how to go about doing it.