The White Belt

Should Passion Really Be The Focus?

7 posts in this topic

So I'm just thinking about mastering something. Forging it into a career. I've just started this venture and I feel quite passionately about it. 

But i've felt passionate about other things. 

So what if I don't feel passionate about this after a week, month, a year?

Surely passion is like a synonym for motivation and one shouldn't just rely on passion to get by and push through once the passion is dissolving or has dissolved.

Thoughts please?

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

The grass is always greener on the other side. When you commit to something there will always be doubts and downsides. There is no 'perfect' and 'flawless' life, life is perfect with all its flaws. There has never been a person in history who felt passionate and excited about what he or she was doing 24/7. It's about committing to something and sticking with it. There is never ever going to be something which is perfectly tailor made to you, there will always be wiggle room to other things. Other things will always be luring you from your goals.

If there would be such a thing which would be tailor made to you there could never be any change or progress in the world. The world needs a certain type of inner and outer conflict to progress. Embrace the conflict and dive deep into life, it's the only path to happiness.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

Just because you have a passion now doesn't mean you need to feel the same forever. Use whatever you're passionate about at the moment and use that as a tool to create or do something and most importantly, grow. Many people build off of different passions that arise at different time in their lives. New passions could be a related or more advanced field, or unrelated, which you may never have seen yourself doing. 

It's nearly impossible to not grow in some way while following a passion.

"What if, in the future" isn't relevant. It's only a nice little way to stay put right where you are.

3 hours ago, BeginnerActualizer said:

So I'm just thinking about mastering something. Forging it into a career. I've just started this venture and I feel quite passionately about it. 

But i've felt passionate about other things. 

So what if I don't feel passionate about this after a week, month, a year?

Surely passion is like a synonym for motivation and one shouldn't just rely on passion to get by and push through once the passion is dissolving or has dissolved.

Thoughts please?

if your passion dies after a week, month or year was it really passion or just some fanciful idea for a while.  Real passion is a driving force that cannot be stopped until fulfilled, and it will continue long after maybe even for a lifetime.  There are many opinions about what passion is, you need to ask those who have experienced real passion and lived it.

@BeginnerActualizer

Well, first of all, its all in the head. Second, Things in the head dissolve if you don't feed them. So, if by virtue of anything whatsoever you stop feeding and reinforcing the emotional attachment you have for something, it will gradually fade away and you will feel less inclined towards that thing. 

@BeginnerActualizer Hi there!

Passion is great! The more the better I say. However, there is a downside. We can be passionate about things, but if the project is not connected to our life purpose then it's my experience that the project will quickly burn out or become very laborious. 

Spend somesome serious time in solitude and see if this venture is in alignment with your life purpose.

Not your ultimate life purpose for all time, but your purpose now, for this era of your life. 

How to find this out, if you have not already? Ask yourself while in solitude "what do I have to do TODAY to die complete?"

If you were given one month to live, what would you do with it?

Once you have the answer to this question it will be obvious to you if this project is going to serve your life purpose or not. 

Passion is an energy, it gets things off the ground in the same way that rocket fuel aids a space exploration team defeat gravity. But if the exploration has no purpose, no identity, then no amount of rocket fuel is going to help it complete it's course. You need to have a purpose to succeed at anything in life because if you don't have purpose the next storm that comes is going to take you off course and when the passion dries up you will have no motivation at all to keep yourself on track. 

Find your purpose. It's essential living for a man.

-Mal

Edited by Mal

@BeginnerActualizer That's why I talk more about life purpose than passion. Life purpose is a life-long commitment to a particular passion, which is formalized and strategic enough that it will support you even when you feel depressed, lazy, or down on your luck.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.