Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlphaAbundance

Any tactics to see the illusion of self in self-inquiry?

18 posts in this topic

• Like notcing you feel the eyes that are supposedly "seeing" the outside world
  • Like notcing you feel the body that is supposedly "feeling" the outside world
  • Like noticing you feel the head you are supposedly within
  • (Unsure about this one) Like noticing when you imagine something the "physical world" dissapears

Any clear obvious pointers, gimmicks or little noticing like this. Any ways to make self-inquiry faster and more efficient

Edited by AlphaAbundance

@AlphaAbundance like noticing you aren't you dude  There is no you.  For real.  You are actually nothing.  You are just awareness.. 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 Cmon dude lol, you can do better than that! 

@AlphaAbundance Yes self-inquiry requires you to have a good foundation knowledge of awareness. Otherwise how would you know what you are and what are not. 

The best tip is that everything you think you are, you aren't. You just have to figure out how you aren't it, by realising who is aware of it 

and eventually you will realise what it means to ask "who is aware" 

it is not something that can be expressed to you because it is only recognised by elimating both everything and nothing. which will take years, so don't expect it to happen immediately like i thought it would happen to me

Edited by Aakash

@Aakash

Ok gratitude. How does being aware of something mean it can't be you?

My thoughts/me like to challenge lots of things logically. How do you deal with these?

Edited by AlphaAbundance

@AlphaAbundance you deal with it like this.  What are you? Can you point to it?  Tell me what you are definitely right now.  What are you ? Really?

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@AlphaAbundance i dealt with it by coming up with a logical answer to the question i was asking and realising logic is subjective. Even trans-logical statements are still logic themselves. 

being aware of something means that there must be someone aware of it.  @Inliytened1 will show you when you answer his questions ;) 

@Inliytened1 Yes I am this body, these thoughts that keep coming up (even as I write this the words are being heard/thought in whatever way in my head) and whatever other contents of the mind I am forgetting. Even if I am aware of body how does that not make it me?

(Is it who is aware of the body? There has to be something aware of the body?)

@Aakash

Ard please help me with "even if I am aware of something how does it make it not me" objection? What do you mean by logic is subjective? What do you mean by trans-logic statements? And what does being aware of something mean there must be something aware? (I thought there was no perceiver)

I know I'm annoying :Dplease just answer what you can

2 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

@Inliytened1 Yes I am this body, these thoughts that keep coming up (even as I write this the words are being heard/thought in whatever way in my head) and whatever other contents of the mind I am forgetting. Even if I am aware of body how does that not make it me?

(Is it who is aware of the body? There has to be something aware of the body?)

@Aakash

Ard please help me with "even if I am aware of something how does it make it not me" objection? What do you mean by logic is subjective? What do you mean by trans-logic statements? And what does being aware of something mean there must be something aware? (I thought there was no perceiver)

I know I'm annoying :Dplease just answer what you can

Free yourself of the concept that you are the body.  You are no more the body than you are your coffee table.  You are NOT the body.  That is an illusion.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@AlphaAbundance because if you are the awareness of  ....       ..... then by default you were not what you initially thought you were 

as inlytened 1 is saying you "think" your the body in concept. 

What has got you latched onto the body and claiming ownership over it. is not the fact that the body is yours, its the fact that you "think" that the body is yours. 

Yogi's and mystics* like to plead this case, that if the body was truly yours, then you would be the one beating the heart itself. Is this happening in your direct experience ? are you beating your own heart and forcing it to pump blood out, are you controlling your lungs, or is it all happening for you. 

but inlytened1 is saying it in more poetic terms :x  to GUIDE you 

Edited by Aakash

@Inliytened1 Then

• why do I follow it along all day
  • Why am I/me as an awareness only around this body
  • why can I move these hands to type this message
  • why do I feel solely this body and not the side of the bed or the feeling of the wall or the feeling of everything in this awareness
  • Why do I feel other things only when this body comes in contact with them
  • Why do other people address this body as AlphaAbundance
  • Why do I feel the effort to move and walk and talk and go to school every day

Any ressources for me?

Also why does this body have requirements to live as if it's in a physical world if it's only a dream? Is the illusion of a physical world purposefully?

Edited by AlphaAbundance

@AlphaAbundance You are missing the only point of self inquiry, because you are stopping and asking about the arising thoughts. Let them go and continue the self inquiry. If you are making it a practice, set an amount of time. If you are self inquiring 24/7, great, but that means you’re letting every single arising thought go - because you are not a thought that comes and goes. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Aakash I see ah ha

What if there is no awareness or perceiver and only all this phenomenon? Or is there certainly one that I am missing, I have to search for?

@Nahm So let go of the thoughts, or ask who is aware of these thoughts to return back to the practice?

What if the thoughts are on the practice to make sure I am doing it correctly? Like how do I know I am actually reaching what Is aware of the thoughts? Is there something that will clearly notify me that I am where I am suppose to be?

@AlphaAbundance There one who IS awareness, otherwise how are you aware of awareness itself, its because the true you is the one who IS the awareness itself. 

I try to avoid aware of awareness because that confuses the issue imo. 

what you are missing is this point... 

tell me your next 5 thoughts and write them down exactly as they come, even the questioning behind those thoughts. Just what ever they are (sentences not single words) 

then write them here, if they are embarrassing you can leave them out and just write the next line

@Aakash

"Lmao would I "

• Dropped writing this thought as another came

"Its weird that I actually said lmao in this thought"

"Oh shit I missed a thought"

"Wait I'm not thinking normally because I know I am going to write them"

"Do you normally think in full sentences"

"FUck what if these aren't accurate, authentic, what if I am missing something"

Bruh that was actually fun ?. Is doing that by itself productive in any way like it is a form of meditation? 

It feels like I am controlling the thoughts even thought I am aware of them. (Side thought But who is aware of them?)

Also what the fuck is awareness? Like attention/focus? Who is focusing?

(Bruh I really need a spirtual teacher),

35 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

@Nahm So let go of the thoughts, or ask who is aware of these thoughts to return back to the practice?

Both, same thing. The rule of self inquiry is ‘you are not a thought’, as thoughts come and go. So you keep undercutting, or ‘going behind’ every single arising thought by asking - who is aware of that?   Who knows that?  Who am I?   And expect to feel a response / answer, not think an answer. Let thought go, and feel.  The “answer” will not arise as a thought - let every single thought go. 

What if the thoughts are on the practice to make sure I am doing it correctly?

Just make the distinction then, between doing the practice, and doing some research / theory / learning. 

Like how do I know I am actually reaching what Is aware of the thoughts?

You’ll know.   Settle into this, imo. It’s not like one pop and you’re done. It’s going to be an ongoing practice. It’ll “come”, and it’ll fade, then you inquire and it “comes”, and goes again. Be at peace with wherever you’re at, that helps a lot. Also, for the practice...that there is a separate “you” which “reaches” “what is aware” - is in itself just another thought, you are aware of. Really hammer down on - that every thought can be let go, you’re feeling for a feeling here. 

Consider that you think you’re around a 5 on a 1 - 100 ‘how sneaky am I’ scale....and through self inquiry, you’re going to discover you are the sneakiest human being who has ever existed ever. No joke man. YOU are so sneaky, you don’t even know you’re so sneaky - that’s Meta-Sneakery! You’re the King of Sneakerton. You will find Hoffa before you realize your level of sneakiness. The pyramids will be fully understood and up & running again, before you realize how sneaky you are. You’ll find out what’s in that Pulp Fiction briefcase - before you realize just how sneaky you are. Don’t underestimate your sneaky-ness. 

Is there something that will clearly notify me that I am where I am suppose to be?

You are already, have always been, and will always be - where you’re supposed to be. No one nor no thing will ever notify you of this, because it is intrinsically inherently true. So true, that it needs no notification. If it’s helpful....this is me, officially notifying you, that everything is OK. Really, it’s ok man.  It’s so true, that even saying it - diminishes the real awesomeness of that it is already true and never even needs to be questioned.

(Remember - you’re not lookin to find out “if you’re where you’re supposed to be” - you’re looking to feel who you really are.)

https://hridaya-yoga.com/hridaya-yoga-articles/the-self-inquiry-method-of-ramana-maharshi/

https://www.stillnessspeaks.com/ramana-maharshi-self-enquiry/

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@AlphaAbundance awareness as a definition for now, is to be aware of. 

The reason you do not know what awareness is, is because you haven't got out of your body at the moment. 

Okay realistically 

whilst you were writing out your thoughts, did you realise you were essentially talking to your self and self -referencing your own thoughts. 

4 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

Lmao would I "

• Dropped writing this thought as another came

"Its weird that I actually said lmao in this thought"

"Oh shit I missed a thought"

"Do you normally think in full sentences"

"FUck what if these aren't accurate, authentic, what if I am missing something"

so what happened was, the thought came and then you realised what you said after. and that's when you recognised: 

what this shows is that you are aware of your thoughts. you are actually not constructing your own thoughts, similarly to your body functioning 

when you said the word "weird" 

did you tell your own thought that you needed to use the letters, " W , E , I , R ,D " to construct the word "Weird" in fact, did you even know when you were going to say next, it should be obvious that if you create your own thoughts by yourself, you should create your next thought 

kind of like, "i am going to tell my brain to say these words next! "

but this doesn't happen, the thought comes and then we become aware of it.. 

keeping writing out your own thoughts until you realise that you truly don't know what you are going to say next. You are literally writing what your being told to write

11 hours ago, AlphaAbundance said:
  • Like notcing you feel the eyes that are supposedly "seeing" the outside world
  • Like notcing you feel the body that is supposedly "feeling" the outside world
  • Like noticing you feel the head you are supposedly within
  • (Unsure about this one) Like noticing when you imagine something the "physical world" dissapears

Any clear obvious pointers, gimmicks or little noticing like this. Any ways to make self-inquiry faster and more efficient

don't ask yourself any questions. Don't tell yourself to notice anything, don't tell yourself anything at all As soon as you do this, you are inviting thought and going down a downward spiral.

practice focus. Get good at focus.

Then before the practice, set your intention. What do you really want from this? Do you really sincerely want to find Yourself? Like really? Or you doing the practice just because Leo told you or to satisfy your spiritual ego... That's it! Enough bullshit! You want to realize yourself! Get excited, get appreciative, get grateful. Its it. Its finally it... 

Then observe the present moment with extreme intensity. Let go of the thoughts that come. Do not try to engineer the process or experience. Whatever comes up is perfect, its what's suppose to happen, its optimal for your growth. If thoughts keep coming up, then that's optimal and meant to happen, if you don't notice anything, then that's meant to happen and is optimal. 

With time, you will start to notice that you aren't perceiving reality, but reality is perceiving you. But if you don't notice this, that's perfect! The default experience is the best experience you could possibly have. Don't get angry, start thinking things aren't working or you're not doing the practice properly... all of these thoughts are extremely dangerous and will keep you stuck. 

Just some things I would have told my younger self. If you're like me then this will help immensely. 

Edited by electroBeam