JustinS

What Is Non-duality?

12 posts in this topic

We are like waves on the ocean, looking for the ocean, longing to be part of it?

Yes. That’s a great metaphor. You are like a wave in the ocean experiencing itself as separate from the ocean. The wave asks, ‘When and where will I find the ocean? Who can give the ocean to me?’ But the wave was always the ocean, from the very beginning, even in its seeking! It’s the ocean looking for itself. Even within the ocean’s failure to find itself it is still the ocean; every wave is one hundred per cent water. As all the authentic spiritual teachers have been telling us for hundreds and thousands of years, you are what you seek.

Although ‘non-duality’ is just a word, what it points to is the possibility that you are not who you think you are. It’s the possibility that what you are is not this seeker, broken or incomplete. What you are is simply this open space of awareness (consciousness, awakeness, Being) in which absolutely everything seems to come and go, and that space is already at rest; it’s already Home.

- Jeff Foster

http://www.lifewithoutacentre.com/writings/what-is-nonduality/

The full read is in the link above^

Great introduction to anyone new to the word Non-Duality and what it points to. Also Paul Hedderman is great on explaining this topic on his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/tinkerzen?fref=ts

Does anyone else know of any good lectures or spokesmen of this subject, as I know this topic can be quite tricky? :) 

@cetus56 "Whatever action is born of limited thought must bring conflict, inevitable." - Krishnamurti

Informative watch, thank you. 

@JustinS  Yea, there is lots of good tidbits in that. It really gets to the root of what's wrong with most of humanity as a whole. It's insane!  We are one human race on one planet. Mind causes divisions and divisions inevitably cause destruction from the sense of separateness and insecurity. I listened to that a couple of times because there is a lot to take in.  "Thought is movemet, movement is within time".  " Time is hope"

@JustinS "K"   " Transcendence of 'me' does not happen within time".  What an enlightened view.

@cetus56 Yes these thoughts are so set in time that it's impossible for me to begin comprehending that. The flashlight that doesn't have the flexibility to shine the light on itself. That thing itself...has within it all of time and space and it's what makes time and space relative to "me".

On 5/10/2016 at 6:09 PM, JustinS said:

We are like waves on the ocean, looking for the ocean, longing to be part of it?

Yes. That’s a great metaphor. You are like a wave in the ocean experiencing itself as separate from the ocean. The wave asks, ‘When and where will I find the ocean? Who can give the ocean to me?’ But the wave was always the ocean, from the very beginning, even in its seeking! It’s the ocean looking for itself. Even within the ocean’s failure to find itself it is still the ocean; every wave is one hundred per cent water. As all the authentic spiritual teachers have been telling us for hundreds and thousands of years, you are what you seek.

Although ‘non-duality’ is just a word, what it points to is the possibility that you are not who you think you are. It’s the possibility that what you are is not this seeker, broken or incomplete. What you are is simply this open space of awareness (consciousness, awakeness, Being) in which absolutely everything seems to come and go, and that space is already at rest; it’s already Home.

- Jeff Foster

http://www.lifewithoutacentre.com/writings/what-is-nonduality/

The full read is in the link above^

Great introduction to anyone new to the word Non-Duality and what it points to. Also Paul Hedderman is great on explaining this topic on his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/tinkerzen?fref=ts

Does anyone else know of any good lectures or spokesmen of this subject, as I know this topic can be quite tricky? :) 

This is backwards.

First of all every wave isn't 100% water, it's got salt and other sediment in it, different degrees of gravitational torsion, and sometimes it even has a dude who fell off a surfboard in it or fish :P

But, the primary difference between the ocean and the wave is the amount of energy passing through it.

A wave is not created by water, it is the energy passing through and carrying the water in the FORM of a wave.

What does that tell us? Energy both passes through things and creates shapes/forms.

What is a human? It is a shape, that although solid, is porous, with energy passing through it, just like that wave.

And what does that mean? It means that you can be both a shape with distinct physical form and connected to whats around you, because it's smaller shapes and patterns are passing through you at all times.

Soooo... this whole I am not my shape, I am just the energy passing through me is out of touch with reality.

In reality we are both at all times. Connected, not separate, but still at the same time distinct and different.

We do have an identity, we do have a core or nucleus. Just like the earth has a core, or a cell or atom has a nucleus. This nucleus is the core shape or form that the localized energy within us is carrying along, just like that wave. Which also communicates and shares energy with other cores it can connect to on micro and macro levels.

People are just arrogant and don't realize how much growing they still have to do, to be sensitive enough to feel and comprehend all these things. and rather than face that arrogance and the fear and scarcity underneath it, they turn to emotional platitudes.

@JustinS Think of it this way, If you were free floating in space, how relevant is time? Where are you located? Where are the points of reference that bring security to the mind?  Would mind/ self lose it's relevance? All that would remain would be pure awareness of existence. Bring that same sense of being back to your everyday experience. Why can't we extend that free floating/ pure awareness view to this world we experience every day and not take the points of references around us so seriously. Pure awareness existing within it's surrounding field without all the reference points that mind introduces like the passing of time and a sense of a self location. Look from within and see things from a different perspective. Feel the awareness within you now free-floating within this existence. Allow pure awareness to be at one within it's field.   This is the wave realizing it is the ocean.

Edited by cetus56

I think its the phenomena when you suddenly come to the realisation where you are both a man and woman simultaneously...

We haven't made a deep existential investigation of your sexual organs. Once we unravel the egoic self we will see the truth of transgenderism.

Edited by Huz88

2 minutes ago, Huz88 said:

I think its the phenomena when you suddenly come to the realisation where you are both a man and woman simultaneously...

@Huz88  All divisions exist within the mind. It's a game that mind loves to play with everything. All you can do is laugh when you see mind is mind.

@cetus56 haha was meant to be a joke.

Edited by Huz88

9 minutes ago, Huz88 said:

@cetus56 haha was meant to be a joke.

@Huz88 I hear you. It's just that I have  been really looking deeply into exactly what the mind is and how it influences perception into duality. At his moment I have mind pinned in a corner and relentlessly beating the shit out of it. It's a left blow, and now a devastating right hook! And the crowd goes wild as he pummels his opponent! hehe