Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raptorsin7

Life direction advice

10 posts in this topic

I'm about to start my first year of law school, but I'm having stronger reservations because most of the reasons i'm going to law school in the first place are shallow/egotistical. Given everything I've learned from Leo about life purpose and enlightenment, I just can't see myself enjoying something as mundane as litigating corporate mergers or some other type of "prestigious" legal work. However, I brought up my anxieties with my parents and they were very distressed and want me to continue through and at least finish the 3 year program before I do something else. I am also very lucky because my parents are paying for the entire program and living expenses, and if I treat law school like a 9-5 job I will have at least 3-4 hours for all the stuff i'm currently interested in (self inquiry/enlightenment, yoga, other interests that may arise). Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

Terrible choice to continue with it just because it is free. But all sorts of law you could learn and use for yourself in other places. 

@d0ornokey Nothing at the moment, my undergraduate degree is in biology but I have no interest in pursuing a hard science. I'm planning on doing Leo's life purpose course for an hour a night or for a few hours on weekends throughout the school year to try and get the ball rolling on an alternative. I've been in school my whole life and I don't have any real work experience outside of working for my parents, but I don't consider that valuable work experience because I was basically a nepotism employee that didn't work hard and showed up whenever I wanted.

Take advantage of your electives and anything touching other subjects. Will broaden your horizons while you go.

@Raptorsin7  Best of luck to you with it. I only have a full year of college. But I was able to use that to figure out I am just going to run businesses, so I found it very beneficial. I love my work now. Has ups and downs, but everything in life does. Just take your time. It won't come quickly. 

Ask yourself what would you do if money was no worry whatsoever? Be honest here. Whatever that is, do that. Forget money. Whatever you really want to do with your life, whatever it is, you will find a way of making it work. 

*I stopped working over a decade ago, and I will never work for someone ever again. I do whatever I want. 

@Raptorsin7 if you go down the lawyer road be careful, lawyers are some of the biggest moralists and also work the longest hours. As Brad Blanton put it in book Radical Honesty “lawyers are some of the most miserable sons of bitches”  He is a famous Psychotherapist and his #1 clients are lawyers.  Out of law school you can expect to work 70+ hours a week and by the time you make partner you will be a full blown workaholic.