Commodent

YT channel: Daniel Mackler, a former psychotherapist

7 posts in this topic

Link to channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/dmackler58/

This channel has in my case been a true goldmine, and I think he himself describes the content of his channel pretty well:

"Interests: childhood trauma and its effects, self-therapy, emotional healing without pills, becoming a true self, being an artist, and taking the risk -- terrifying but true!!"

Notable videos:

I am myself, heaven and hell.

I like him very much and I have watched some of his documentaries about mental disorders. He posts some articles in Mad In America website, but I have a strong feeling that he holds too much resentment towards his parents and he lets it affect most of his opinions. I'm not sure about his views about psychotherapy and coaching because they don't seem to be very accurate. He advocates self-therapy and seems to forget that talking to another human-being may be much more effective for healing.

Buy, yeah, I find his documentaries awesome. By the way, they are on the internet for free (what's very nice from him).

Obs.: he has a video about Jordan Peterson, so maybe people here would be curious about Mackler's opinion on it.

10 hours ago, brugluiz said:

I have a strong feeling that he holds too much resentment towards his parents and he lets it affect most of his opinions.

Yes, I totally get that. It's a criticism he gets a lot so I'm sure he's pretty aware of it himself. The thing about him though is that he consistently sides with the child. This is so unheard of in a world where children are so often blamed and treated as if there's something inherently "flawed" about them, and that their behavior is not just a completely natural response to growing up in a dysfunctional home environment.

I personally find his views about psychotherapy and coaching to be accurate, although it might no resonate with everybody. Particularly not those who have had predominantly positive encounters with the mental health field. I've found this to be rare though, as people often report of having to sift through several therapists in order to find a good one. Also, the mental health field does in general has very low success rate in dealing with even the most common mental health disorders. Personally I think talking to someone else can only be effective up to a certain point. Most people have so much unhealed trauma themselves, and there is so much collective trauma in our culture that is nearly impossible to heal from just by talking to others. In my case self-therapy has been such an extremely valuable skill to have, and it has offered me support when no one else could.

Here's his critique of JBP if anyone are interested:

Edited by Commodent

I am myself, heaven and hell.

Good stuff, i like the stages of emotional healing, can really relate 

Thank you for your perspective, @Commodent.

I will take a look at Mackler's videos and materials with a more open-mind.

Daniel Mackler's YouTube channel is great! Not many people are talking about childhood traumas caused by our parents! It's a great resurse for those interested in healing their traumas.

This is  a great thread Commodent.  Thank you.

Mackler does an excellent job of exposing the pathologies of the mental health industry.  If you are thinking of going to a therapist you should listen to the below video.   It’s a shame, but not a surprise, that a man with this knowledge and sensitivity chooses not to participate any further in a disfunctional system that  further traumatizes people instead of helping them.

Vincit omnia Veritas.