nickjonson

Can I lose weight when exercising?

8 posts in this topic

Hello friends. I'm Nick and I'm obese, I'm 97kg I want to practice to reduce to about 70kg, can I do that?

Exercise is only 30% of the success. 70% is diet and stress avoidance. There is also a component of digestive health, balance of microbiota, insulin resistance etc. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

A proper diet (it will take a lot of trial and error to find one that works for your body/lifestyle), burpees and sprinting, and cold showers.

Before you go into the burpees and sprinting, PLEASE spend the first few days taking long walks, then next few days going on light jogs. Do stretching and all that. Then you are ready to go hard.

You can do it.

I do find that exercise actually increases my weight. It reduces fat and waistline. But it increases weight. So instead of trying to monitor health by measuring weight, I'd recommend you just focus on eating well, feeling good about yourself and exercise of your choice - start mildly though. 

From my personal experience, I started craving healthy food when I started feeling good about myself and my life in general. It takes some practice though and getting to know yourself like you're getting to know someone else and then falling in love and being committed to yourself. 

I find that willpower rarely works for most people.  Most people can will themselves for a diet or lifestyle change, but usually end up going back to old habits and putting the weight back on.  I think working on your emotional state by either reading, watching and embodying videos such as Leo's, or seeking professional psychological help is the way to go.  

Also, go slow on the diet and only include changes that you will do for the rest of your life.  Concentrate on diet more than exercise.  

I agree that weight reduction is more about the food you put into  your body and less about the exercise, BUT.... I find that when I start exercising more, my eating habits improve.  After putting in the effort for the exercise, I have no desire to undo all that good by eating something bad, so they go hand-in-hand in improving your attitude and your goal to get more fit.   I think you'll find that even if you exercise a little bit, you'll be less likely to eat poorly - it's about the entire attitude of getting more healthy.   

Sue