Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
emind

I Made a Video on Sam Harris's View on Morality

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys! I made a video trying to explain Sam Harris's view on morality, moral realism. I think getting our views on morality straight is essential given that they underpin our political outlook on many issues. Let me know what you think!

4 hours ago, emind said:

@Extreme Z7 Thanks! I really appreciate it!

I am pretty critical about your video, though. Moral Realism is not something I subscribe too.

Especially not Sam Harris's version of it.

I’ll have a listen.

I don’t know anyone that approaches these subjects with the degree of sophistication required but they’re all offering different ingredients to the pie. 

I personally don’t have an answer to these ideas yet myself, I just know that before I have such an answer I will need to climb many more theoretical mountains before my own answer has considerable esteem.

”To throw a wrench at Godzilla” that is unfortunately what we mostly have these days from speakers on various subjects.

From a collectivists perspective, Sam Harris’s position here has value, this is from a collectivists perspective (there are many other perspectives we could of course reference on this subject) though. It does not carefully differentiate itself from utilitarianism, which means it is not new, just a different coating of paint in the exploration of neuroscientific understandings to facilitate utilitarian decisions.

Edited by possibilities

Conventionally creating such a notion of good and bad can be useful. But it's not and can not be objective.
Notions of good, bad and morality are subjective, Sam seems to try to do some magic with language and ideas to create a notion about objective well-being and morality. It's still subjective of course, but I find it a little silly to debate about such technical details
Just my 2 cents:D