saish

What do you guys think about 100 hour work weeks ? Is it productive in the long run ?

8 posts in this topic

So I saw this quote of Elon musk about working 100 hrs a week and how nobody who has worked less that never changed the world. What do you guys think about it ? Is it even possible to maintain 10 to 14 hours of focus per day ? I think that will burn you out if not end up killing you. But I wanna know the hard workers here how much do you guys work per week ? Is bringing the concept of work-life balance just stupid when you are talking about changing the world ? And finally is it even worth it in the end to put so much effort ?

It's not, nobody's fully engaged for 100 hours a week, and anyone who says it is just status signaling. It's a great recipe for burnout and diminished returns. Sure, I can go a few weeks in a row at 60-80 (and probably 15-25 of these hours are break or more idle time) hours of solid work, but then I need a full week to recover. All about making your time more efficient. Working that long on something means they either: A) Aren't actually doing it, B) Are completely overwhelmed and on a road to self-destruction, or C) Just aren't working smart or using time efficiently. 

Edited by llumin
added clarification

SPIRAL

Take Leo for example, he is certainly changing the world positively and has time to meditate, do retreats, not overwork. 

Also keep in mind the type of projects Elon is taking on. They are extremely technologically ambitious. Changing the world in this way could be more demanding than other ways like politics or spirituality.

Edited by Cocolove

In short bursts I think it could be manageable. His whole company was at stake during that period so I can understand why he did it.

I am myself, heaven and hell.

Define work. Focusing on something that you enjoy 100hrs a week is completely fine. I think that at Elon Musk’s level, it’s not about work, it’s about passion that he’s fully focused on, he lives his passion. Of course, it’s not sustainable if we don’t watch our physical and mental health but I think that it can be all done quite well. We can “work” while exercising, watching TV etc.

I have an opinion on everything :D

I agree. When you are expressing your passion, 100 hours a week doesn't burn you out.

If you're building a business you don't love, only to make money, then it's not a good idea.

When you are doing what you love, you don't get exhausted. You still need to rest, but the excitement gives you energy to keep going.

I review self-help courses to find out which ones are good and not good: propelyourwealth.com

I think you'd have to love what you did. And/or you'd have to be very conscientious. Which I suppose is self-fulfilling because it just means you work hard...

Edited by Dan502

Profound Familiarity
An Audio Journal

I'd say it depends on what you do and how you feel about it. Sometime I can't just sleep - I'm so excited to keep working, other time I feel drained.

The only person to answer your question correctly here is you. Maybe you don't get it the first time but you'd figure out!!