Cocolove

Climate Change V. Pollution

14 posts in this topic

I think of all the political sentiments environmentalism resonates with me the most.

However, I've heard good arguments that climate change is natural and that it isn't. It seems to be that republicans claim it is natural and democrats that it is man made. Both sides claim to have science on their side. From the research I've done it seems science really isn't on either side, and my best guess is that we really don't know.

So it surprises me that all politicians talk about is climate change. It seems that they should be more concerned with upset of ecological systems through other means than climate change such as pollution, deforestation, world population, greedy capitalism, oil, etc.

The democratic side seems so focused on the damned climate change and the republicans make some good points against it but have nothing to say against the other things, which they don't care about due to spiral development.

Am I wrong. Can someone enlighten me as to what's going on here?

I think it all ties together. 

I don't really think that Republicans and their voter base care much for environmental issues. At least the majority of them seem to downplay it or make fun of it. 

I would assume there’s a lot of distraction and agendas in play too. There are regulations with the EPA and at the state level for the various issues you bring up. And with renewables and new technology there’s eventually going to be big infrastructure changes that are lucrative 

based off my studies, mans impact on climate change has been too great to be reversed and we’ll inevitably face some big challenges or consequences 

Edited by DrewNows

8 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

I would assume there’s a lot of distraction and agendas in play too. There are regulations with the EPA and at the state level for the various issues you bring up. And with renewables and new technology there’s eventually going to be big infrastructure changes that are lucrative 

based off my studies, mans impact on climate change has been too great to be reversed and we’ll inevitably face some big challenges or consequences 

Do you think it's possible to fuck the whole environment up beyond repair, but still survive as a human species? 

12 minutes ago, SFRL said:

Do you think it's possible to fuck the whole environment up beyond repair, but still survive as a human species? 

Nah I think nature would kick our ass before that happened ?

9 minutes ago, SFRL said:

I would say so, but we'd still have to go through a lot of suffering and civilisational re-adjusting in order to get to that point.

If North Africa, the Middle East, India, etc. become uninhabitable due to climate change, along with all the crop failures and diseases that will result from such an unstable environment, then you can bet your ass we can say bye-bye to things like cheap goods, stable borders, complex food chains, everyone owning a car, etc. A human being born in the year 2100 will probably have to be taught farming and crafting skills that us modern humans have forgotten about for the last two hundred years.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

25 minutes ago, Apparation of Jack said:

I would say so, but we'd still have to go through a lot of suffering and civilisational re-adjusting in order to get to that point.

If North Africa, the Middle East, India, etc. become uninhabitable due to climate change, along with all the crop failures and diseases that will result from such an unstable environment, then you can bet your ass we can say bye-bye to things like cheap goods, stable borders, complex food chains, everyone owning a car, etc. A human being born in the year 2100 will probably have to be taught farming and crafting skills that us modern humans have forgotten about for the last two hundred years.

Like the Apocalypse?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi6RkdaEqgRVKi3AzidF4ow/videos

Is a good channel that tackles most if not all of the arguments of those who deny climate change. Its made by Katharine Hayhoe, an atmospheric scientist if you are interested.

This video specifically addresses the natural argument in a very simple way. Yes, climate change occurs due to man-made and natural (non man made) factors. But what is going on now is going against the cycles and patterns we've modeled out. We should be cooling when considering all observed natural factors, but we are warming. 

I don't think the republicans you speak of have an actual understanding of what these natural factors are, how they influence the Earth, and where the temperature should be. I think their motives are are centered around ignorance, money, status.

However on the flip side, while the democrats you speak of may be advocating for man being responsible for this sudden shift of the cycle, I don't think they are actually doing it out of actual environmental concern but to appeal to a certain demographic for money and status.

So either there is some unknown factor or we caused climate change. Our best informed decision is on climate change.

Climate change and relating terms have been used for political visibility since Al Gore so you could say this is just another big trend. Politician all the time hijack issues for their own gain.

The scientists have stopped arguing when 7 studies found between 90% to 97% consensus among scientists on this issue, but politicians keep raging on. Neither are going to give in of course. Democrats and republicans always have to make it a me vs them deal. Its very very polarizing.

Oo great video

Yea it's wack how devilish politicians coopt stuff like this.

What about my conservative bud who says volcanoes release much more carbon than us?

@SFRL we are apart of nature, nature always wins, we’ll destroy ourselves if we aren’t conscious enough 

2 minutes ago, Cocolove said:

Oo great video

What about my conservative bud who says volcanoes release much more carbon than us?

If you watch the video all the specific natural arguments are addressed.

The tl;dr is that this is entirely false based on current data. The ash and other debris from volcanoes circling the atmospheric reflect light and so should cool the Earth. The majority of studies and data even when being gracious with the numbers would come out to < 1 billion tons of emissions a year when accounting for all known active and inactive volcanoes including underwater emissions. Anything you find on human emissions would be easily 20x or way more than that a year.

22 hours ago, Cocolove said:

Oo great video

Yeah I he volcano thing seems to be their favourite argument as if late. 

I talked to a guy and was like "We in the West can do everything right but then you got a country like China that pretty much doesn't care with like a billion people so we might still be fucked". Just an observation on my part. 

The conservative approach is that that would be reason that we might just nothing at all as well then".....

22 hours ago, DrewNows said:

@SFRL we are apart of nature, nature always wins, we’ll destroy ourselves if we aren’t conscious enough 

I am too much of a positive thinker. I just believe that we are going to fuck nature up as we know it....but we will still survive trough it as a species. 

Something like this:

Edited by SFRL

@SFRL hahaha we definitely have...

While back in school I became pretty pessimistic but now I’m just neutral. We gotta trust in ourselves as a species to evolve to the level of understanding needed to overcome the destruction we’ve created

19 minutes ago, DrewNows said:

@SFRL hahaha we definitely have...

While back in school I became pretty pessimistic but now I’m just neutral. We gotta trust in ourselves as a species to evolve to the level of understanding needed to overcome the destruction we’ve created

I really think we are just going to do an Exodus into space, harvesting other planets. 

Then we find some Alien life and pillage and enslave them. While we multiply like rats. 

Run into some particular strong Alien life, get into an intergalactic war with them. Then make peace. And go up into some United Nations Of Aliens. 

Kind of like the same development since the Europeans started exploring/colonizing the world. Went trough two world wars and started the European Union. 

It's just the same accordion effect. 

Who know the same might happen after that jumping trough different dimensions or something.