Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mindcentral

Silencing the mind vs. awareness of it

7 posts in this topic

In spiritual practices, why is this there so much emphasis on silencing the mind, having no thoughts, etc.?

Doesn't this imply a judgment, a preference of a there vs a here? Which in my experience is always ego-driven?

Why is it important to silence the mind instead of becoming fully aware of it? Instead of experiencing thoughts fully as thoughts without judging them or wanting them to go away?

I suspect that full awareness of mind and thoughts results in a silent mind, but then it's a side-effect rather than a goal, no?

1 minute ago, mindcentral said:

In spiritual practices, why is this there so much emphasis on silencing the mind, having no thoughts, etc.?

Doesn't this imply a judgment, a preference of a there vs a here? Which in my experience is always ego-driven?

Why is it important to silence the mind instead of becoming fully aware of it? Instead of experiencing thoughts fully as thoughts without judging them or wanting them to go away?

I suspect that full awareness of mind and thoughts results in a silent mind, but then it's a side-effect rather than a goal, no?

If you hang on to this introspective spirituality business as much as you can, you'll start to notice that "being aware of thoughts" or "witnessing thoughts and experiences non-judgmentally" is itself a thought. Its like the default thought running in the background in all witnessing and mindfulness and trying to be in the present moment business.

And one cant make one's mind silent with one's own effort- all that effort is more thinking and resistance. If it were possible, EVERYONE would have a silent, happy mind already.

Silencing the mind becomes an automatic byproduct of sinking the mind into awareness- not as result of witnessing the mind or trying to stop the mind.

"Happiness is cessation of mind and the mind can never be happy"

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

you miss the point!

having no thought is actually equilibrium to being aware of the things!

because if you shut down your EGO, you'd have no disruptive thought at all, that's why the more you stop your thought, the more EGO is deactivated. 

and clearing your mind is not a goal at all, coz being in meditation and thinking that you're doing meditation for your goals isn't meditation.

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

2 hours ago, mindcentral said:

Which in my experience is always ego-driven?

“Why” quiet the mind is something you’ll only know from the experience of it. Every reason you are given, is just another thought to you. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@mindcentral

The main difference between thinking and working is that thinking is energy-efficient. Meaning that it doesn't require a lot of energy in order to think.

Now, see, that's a problem. Because that then allows the thoughts to overdrive themselves and get out of control, and the worst thing is that they usually become addictive, and therefore they enslave most of us. While physical tiredness is easily noticed and difficult to hide.

Thoughts are like cancer. It starts with one cell, and then it divides itself chaotically into billions of other cells, which then sneakily start to suck all of your energy.

With the little energy you have after long days of thinking, you are more likely to not be focused, and get irritated so easily. So, thoughts go unnoticed and things get out of control. That's why having a quiet mind is the way to happiness.

It's way easier to watch/monitor/supervise 5 employees than a 100.

Edited by Truth Addict

51 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

@mindcentral

The main difference between thinking and working is that thinking is energy-efficient. Meaning that it doesn't require a lot of energy in order to think.

Now, see, that's a problem. Because that then allows the thoughts to overdrive themselves and get out of control, and the worst thing is that they usually become addictive, and therefore they enslave most of us. While physical tiredness is easily noticed and difficult to hide.

Thoughts are like cancer. It starts with one cell, and then it divides itself chaotically into billions of other cells, which then sneakily start to suck all of your energy.

With the little energy you have after long days of thinking, you are more likely to not be focused, and get irritated so easily. So, thoughts go unnoticed and things get out of control. That's why having a quiet mind is the way to happiness.

It's way easier to watch/monitor/supervise 5 employees than a 100.

NİCE EXPLANATİON! WELL DONE!

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"