Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anderz

Evolutionary Nonduality

25 posts in this topic

Here is my attempt to integrate nonduality and evolution. I came to think that nonduality means that reality is changeless. Because if there is some process or entity being able to change reality then that is something changing something else and therefore duality. And if reality changes itself then "what is" turns into "what is not" which again is duality.

Leo said in some video that reality is not all possibilities. Reality is all the BEST possibilities, he said. And that I think explains both nonduality and evolution. The process of evolution is necessary as a part of the best possibilities in order to produce beings such as us humans growing and learning and becoming unique creators with more and more power. So the suffering and evil we experience in our little world at the moment is just a temporary learning, development and growth "tool".

The content of reality can be modeled as an infinite string of information containing all the best possibilities including the process of evolution. That string of information is changeless! And timeless! And time appears as a result of experiencing the entire string of information in a single instant, which is this present moment we live in. This experience will go on forever since the string of information is infinite.

What is nondual is the whole infinite string of information as a whole. The string just is, and it's simply one out of all possible strings of information. For example a binary string like 01010101010101010... wouldn't produce any universe or evolution, but out of the set of all possible infinite strings at least one is able to produce the universe we live in.

Infinity includes all the possibilities, including the best possibilities, and none at all.

The grandest of designs is also Absolute zero.

Pure isness. Hurts the finite mind but at the same time leaves it in awe.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 Infinity is a tricky issue. However Cantor made a useful definition of infinite sets. With Cantor's definition there are an infinite number of infinite sets. And if we take the set of all sets, then that set indeed includes all possibilities (with the assumption that every possibility can be represented as a set). My idea of the infinite string of information that produces our universe is just one possibility in the set of all possibilities.

And that's similar to Leo's claim that reality is not all possibilities. And it makes sense to me because to create an experience out of all possibilities would require an active choosing mechanism; a chooser and the chosen, therefore duality.

Dualities are within non-duality.  Form is within formlessness.

Without dualities or form, God, aka Infinity cannot BE itself.  It cannot live THROUGH itself.

But its all ultimately One from the highest perspective.

When one grasps this one grasps all of reality.

But they must wake up to themselves.

They must become themselves.

Once that is done we can do all the self improvement we want.  We can play in the content.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

11 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

Dualities are within non-duality. 

Yes, the dualities in my model are in the infinite string of information. As a simple example, take the finite binary string 1011000110, where the string as a whole represents nonduality and the binary numbers in the string represent dualities.

Of course, I'm not claiming that reality IS an infinite binary string, but that reality can be modeled by a single such string. Consciousness is a result of experiencing the string of information in the present moment. Notice that this also allows for consciousness being able to exist outside the body such as in out-of-body experiences (OBEs) because space is not empty but contains vast amounts of energy which when structured in certain ways allows consciousness.

@Anderz Does not the concept of evolution and change require a construct of a timeline? Can Now evolve? Can Now change without imaginations of past and future? 

2 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

@Anderz Does not the concept of evolution and change require a construct of a timeline? Can Now evolve? Can Now change without imaginations of past and future? 

One interesting result of the binary string model is that the personal self and even the eternal individual soul can be defined as a position in the string. This means that the person is nothing in itself yet the person exists. A position within the string can be called Atman and the whole string Brahman.

"Ātman (/ˈɑːtmən/) is a Sanskrit word that means inner self or soul.[1][2][3] In Hindu philosophy, especially in the Vedanta school of Hinduism, Ātman is the first principle,[4] the true self of an individual beyond identification with phenomena, the essence of an individual." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ātman_(Hinduism)

"In Hinduism, Brahman connotes the highest Universal Principle, the Ultimate Reality in the universe.[1][2][3] In major schools of Hindu philosophy, it is the material, efficient, formal and final cause of all that exists.[2][4][5] It is the pervasive, genderless, infinite, eternal truth and bliss which does not change, yet is the cause of all changes.[1][3] [6]" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman

Now it gets really tricky with the timeline of the universe. And at the same time it's very simple. The whole string is experienced instantly in the now, but because the string is infinite there is no end to to the experience. The timeline of the universe has a start which is the beginning of the string but no end since the string is infinite.

An individual soul is born/exists at a certain position within the string, and the eternal individual soul IS that position. And the process of evolution is a result of more and more of the string being experienced. The process of evolution starts from a very simple state in the beginning of the string and produces more and more complexity as more of the information becomes manifested as reality in the eternal now moment.

16 minutes ago, Anderz said:

One interesting result of the binary string model is that the personal self and even the eternal individual soul can be defined as a position in the string. This means that the person is nothing in itself yet the person exists. 

I agree that is an interesting model.

And what is Now without any models, definitions and meanings?

@Serotoninluv The models, definitions and meanings are a part of the now. Of course, the map is not the territory and the menu is not the dinner. Nonetheless it's useful to examine models of reality and I like the simple kind of models like that one I came up with in this thread.

Then how is meaning defined in my model? Ray Kurzweil has an interesting theory called the Law of Accelerating Returns:

"The Law of Accelerating Returns

We can organize these observations into what I call the law of accelerating returns as follows:

• Evolution applies positive feedback in that the more capable methods resulting from one stage of evolutionary progress are used to create the next stage. As a result, the
  • rate of progress of an evolutionary process increases exponentially over time. Over time, the “order” of the information embedded in the evolutionary process (i.e., the measure of how well the information fits a purpose, which in evolution is survival) increases.
  • A correlate of the above observation is that the “returns” of an evolutionary process (e.g., the speed, cost-effectiveness, or overall “power” of a process) increase exponentially over time.
  • In another positive feedback loop, as a particular evolutionary process (e.g., computation) becomes more effective (e.g., cost effective), greater resources are deployed toward the further progress of that process. This results in a second level of exponential growth (i.e., the rate of exponential growth itself grows exponentially).
  • Biological evolution is one such evolutionary process.
  • Technological evolution is another such evolutionary process. Indeed, the emergence of the first technology creating species resulted in the new evolutionary process of technology. Therefore, technological evolution is an outgrowth of–and a continuation of–biological evolution.
  • A specific paradigm (a method or approach to solving a problem, e.g., shrinking transistors on an integrated circuit as an approach to making more powerful computers) provides exponential growth until the method exhausts its potential. When this happens, a paradigm shift (i.e., a fundamental change in the approach) occurs, which enables exponential growth to continue." - https://www.kurzweilai.net/the-law-of-accelerating-returns

This positive feedback mechanism Ray Kurzweil described is a generator of meaning. The results the process of evolution produces have meaning in relation to previous results.

11 minutes ago, Anderz said:

@Serotoninluv The models, definitions and meanings are a part of the now.

Of course, yet they are not necessary. They are simply appearances in Now with no more relevance than a dog barking or a train passing by. All appearances in Now. Now can also be absent of all thoughts and models. Thoughts and models can be fun stuff to entertain a mind, yet thoughtless Now is deeply intimate with Now. Spend an hour or so without a thought - the direct experience of thoughtless Now is deeply profound. It blows any model away, ime. Yet to each their own - some minds like to get immersed in thought stories - that’s cool too ? 

@Serotoninluv In my model everything that happens is necessary. Even a dog barking at a train passing by can due to the butterfly effect cause huge changes later on. And everything is interconnected and everything in existence is meaningful, even someone having an idea of something being meaningless is meaningful!

@Anderz Sounds good. As well, sometimes it’s nice to experience what IS simply as it IS, without any models added in. . . And sometimes creating models can be fun entertainment. I also find creating art and food meals can be fun entertainment too. 

@Serotoninluv The more we evolve the less distinction there will be between entertainment and serious work, or maybe more probable that both entertainment and serious work will be integrated into a new way of living. With exponential progress of technology we will soon have automation such as AI and robotics being able to do basically all humans jobs. Even all scientific research and engineering can be automated!

At the same time, my model has at least one serious consequence: it predicts that space and time are quantized. Because with my model reality will never reach infinity. And therefore my model is also falsifiable! That's a requirement in the scientific method I think. Disproving my model can be done by showing that either space or time is continuous, meaning for example that a distance in space of 1 centimeter has an infinite number of points, or that the time interval of 1 second contains an infinite number of points. 

@Anderz It’s cool to watch your mind creating sophisticated models. It’s like watching an artist create music. ❤️ ? 

Another way to disprove my model is to show that true randomness exists in the universe, such as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.

I feel confident though since the pilot wave interpretation of quantum mechanics has determinism, and Stephen Hawking wrote:

"Maybe that is our mistake: maybe there are no particle positions and velocities, but only waves. It is just that we try to fit the waves to our preconceived ideas of positions and velocities. The resulting mismatch is the cause of the apparent unpredictability." - A Brief History of Time, ch 12.

For a hypothesis to be useful it needs to make predictions. My model predicts that fear will be removed from our lives, at least the serious kind of fear of survival. Fear serves a necessary purpose as protection when we are at the separate ego level of development. With certainty comes the removal of fear because it's then no longer needed.

If my model is correct it will add constructively to the evolutionary feedback loop that Ray Kurzweil has described. First as an intellectual idea of the model possibly being true. Then if the model is true it will go from a mere intellectual idea to an actual personal experience of the reality the model describes.

Such prediction, should it become true, doesn't prove my model though, since other models can predict the same thing, even such things as the saying: FEAR = False Evidence Appearing Real. The practical use of the model regarding removal of fear is then more as a catalyst.

Is consciousness a result of the binary string observing itself? No, instead consciousness is a result of the string of information in relation to all other possible strings of information. So consciousness is a result of a trinity: 1) the information of reality, 2) all other possible information and 3) the relation between 1 and 2.

With positions in the string as individual souls it also means that consciousness can be on for some people while consciousness is off for other people. For example when one person is in a deep dreamless sleep state (consciousness off) other people can be in the awaken state (consciousness on).

Notice here that consciousness is an on/off state. With evolution we reach higher and higher levels of mind, not higher level of consciousness. Consciousness is always only either on or off and is a state that is a relation. Mind is the information experienced in consciousness.

The really hardcore nonduality teachings like that of Ramesh Balsekar and Tony Parsons may seem nihilistic. One good thing with my evolutionary nonduality model is that the integration of the evolutionary aspect and Ray Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns bring meaning and purpose to basic nonduality.

As I mentioned earlier, the evolutionary feedback principle produces meaning as a growing complexity of manifested reality. It may be tricky to define exactly what meaning means and what purpose is, but it's kind of self-evident that each evolutionary stage building on previous evolutionary stages adds both meaning and purpose to reality.

As a side note: It's impossible it seems to me to formally define a model completely. Why? Because what is the definition of definition? It becomes circular!

How to explain that we happen to live in a universe capable of life? And why now? And how come earth is in its current stage of evolution?

To explain that I need to expand my model. Don't worry! Occam will not start spinning in his grave; he is sitting on a cloud in heaven, smiling and waiting for his resurrection on the new earth.

The expansion of the model is that our universe is just a recent white hole of a black hole in a parent universe in a whole multiverse tree of black/white hole universes. Our parent universe is a white hole of a black hole in a grandparent universe and so on all the way down to an ancestor root universe. And the black holes in our universe (and in the other universes) lead to white hole offspring universes.

In this way the number of universes in the multiverse tree increases exponentially. So probabilistically the chance that we live in a more recent universe (our Big Bang billions of years ago) is larger than the chance that we live in one of the older universes. And since the process of evolution is exponential (see previous posts) the probability that we are at the current stage of development here on earth is high. Other than that, there is nothing particularly special about our universe and there are zillions and zillions of other universes in the multiverse tree, all capable of producing life.

Is my model consistent with today's mainstream science theories? Not with Einstein's relativity which my model predicts is a false theory (my model has a single universal now), but I think my model is consistent with quantum mechanics. Not consistent with the randomness of most interpretations of quantum mechanics (see one of my previous posts) but with the idea of the collapse of the wavefunction.

We are a SINGLE collapse of the multiversal wavefunction of the entire infinite string of information. Just like the string itself, the collapse just timelessly is. The wavefunction and the collapse are one. There is no time outside our universe or start of time starting from timelessness or time going on since an infinite number of years into the past. Instead the collapse and the wavefunction are timeless. From the collapse of the wavefunction time appears as a result of the collapse never ending.

I'm not an expert on physics so it could be that the wavefunction needs to be modified to include all of time in it, but anyway.