Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZZZZ

seasonal mood

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys, just thought I'd share an idea and see if anyone experiences similar, or what your thoughts are.

Basically, I like the summer so much more than the winter. I'm just happier and find myself in a better mood. I love being outside, and being cold just really takes away from the experience for me. Eating outside, going to the beach, swimming at the pool, barbequing, wearing less clothes (open toed shoes) etc. I also just generally prefer warm weather and sunshine to cooler weather. My ideal temperature range is somewhere around 62-78 F, but I'd much rather have 90-100 degree weather over 15-25 degree. I'm in a place where I experience both of these extremes, but my 5 year plan involves moving somewhere warmer and sunnier year round. I even dislike late fall and prefer spring for the anticipation of both winter and summer respectively. 

I'm well aware of seasonal affective disorder, but I don't really feel like I experience an extreme enough swing to classify (nor would I necessarily like to put the label on it). I try to take a vitamin D supplement routinely, so I'm not sure that that is as much of a factor as I'd like it to be. I'm a lighter weight individual, so maybe my body type lends itself to warmer weather vs cold. 

I know everyone has their preferences, but this is very distinct for me. I even based my applications to professional schools off of this (didn't apply anywhere north of where I grew up). Any idea why this might be other than what I've already thought through? Do you experience similar, or maybe you're the opposite?

I call it SAD . . . and I am profoundly influenced by it!

But I live in a state where we have extreme weather fluctuations. HOT and FREEZING. Hardly ever in between.

I want to move but our lives are rooted here and my needs are pretty low on the list. Kids school first, husbands job second. My business can operate anywhere.

6 hours ago, Yellow_Girl said:

I call it SAD . . . and I am profoundly influenced by it!

But I live in a state where we have extreme weather fluctuations. HOT and FREEZING. Hardly ever in between.

I want to move but our lives are rooted here and my needs are pretty low on the list. Kids school first, husbands job second. My business can operate anywhere.

Hmm, maybe I qualify to call it that. I'm trying to lay down some roots somewhere and then taker on some other responsibilities so I can avoid being stuck in that situation. We have to make compromises in life though I guess. Sounds like husband's job is the only one there that isn't semi-flexible. 

@ZZZZ

I love warmth and hate cold too!

When the weather is great, I work/do.

When the weather sucks, I think/contemplate.

It's not like I only work during summer or only think during winter, but I shift most of my time into one end of the spectrum according to the seasonal changes. And I find that to be very beneficial.

@Truth Addict Hmm, that's an interesting thought. Could kind of go in line with one of @Leo Guras last episodes about the different phases in life. Maybe we go through microphases with the seasons. I would be interested to see if a more moderate/constant climate affected me negatively for different reasons. 

@ZZZZ

I'm not sure about this, but it seems like you have a victim's mentality, that you think the climate really has real effects on you.

I mean it certainly does, but be careful not to play the victim here, and then create stories and justifications for failures. 

Edited by Truth Addict

@ZZZZ good boy should smoke some weed and it should make you happier during the off season.

@Truth Addict Yeah, you choose to be happy etc. etc. etc. It's not really a matter of success or failure at anything, just general mood and perceived well being for me. 

1 hour ago, ZZZZ said:

@Truth Addict Yeah, you choose to be happy etc. etc. etc. It's not really a matter of success or failure at anything, just general mood and perceived well being for me. 

Ahhh, now I see.

For me, that was the case in my early years in life, when I was a child, I used to get depressed in winters I think because it was linked to school and I hated school.

Nowadays, I don't have a preference, my mood is quite stable throughout the year.