Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DocHoliday

Karma and the Subconscious Mind

10 posts in this topic

Since there is such a great misunderstanding of what karma actually is, what it represents, and how it is understood, this thread is basically just me trying to get my understanding right and wondering if anybody else could give me his/her perspective on the matter whether or not what can be regarded as "karmic memory" is basically equivalent or synonymous with what Westerners typically understand as the "subconscious mind" (?).

Edited by DocHoliday
Reason for edit: typos and stuff

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

In a sense yes. 

Karma means memory or data. 

There is physical memory like your DNA, genetics, etc.. It descides how you look and everything basicly about your physicality. Or for example your muscle memory. That's also karma, that's the memory that your physical body is carring. Without this memory you couldn't even climb a stairway. It seems like a simple process but it takes enourmous memory to walk the stairs. Only because your body remembers how to climb the stairs it looks so simple. 

Similary, there's a mental memory that is made out of subconsious and conscious data that has been put into you. It include also all the emotions, feelings, cravings and aversions, likes and dislikes. It. Includes your personality/ego also because your personality is just data that has been put into you. It's just a bundle of likes and dislikes actually. Remove all cravings and aversions inside you and there will be zero mental acticity going on in you. No ego aswell because ego is just a movement in the mind caused by a craving or aversion. 

And also there's energy memory. The way energy functions within each of us is diferent also. 

So all this memory, physical, mental, pranic is karma that descides everything about you. It's your software. It's your tendencies, your programming. 

Edited by Salvijus

@Salvijus Okay, a very short answer with a long explanation that has heavy Sadhguru-influences all over it? But thanks a lot anyways:) I appreciate it.

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

32 minutes ago, DocHoliday said:

@Salvijus  has heavy Sadhguru-influences all over it?

That's my karma you can say :D

@Salvijus Btw, I just noticed... you actually explained karma slightly wrong. Karma does not literally mean "memory" or "data". This is not true. It actually means "action" or "doing", along other similar words. So, for example, when you say "that's my karma", that just means that it's your action or your doing and that you are ultimately responsible for whatever you say, do, think and so on. 

And all this action (that can be split up in the 4 categories) leaves/builds up memory. That's where the conection between karma and memory comes from, but karma doen't have anything to do with memory inherently. 

I thought this might be something worth pointing out.

6 hours ago, DocHoliday said:

Since there is such a great misunderstanding of what karma actually is, what it represents, and how it is understood, this thread is basically just me trying to get my understanding right and wondering if anybody else could give me his/her perspective on the matter whether or not what can be regarded as "karmic memory" is basically equivalent or synonymous with what Westerners typically understand as the "subconscious mind" (?).

Karma = attachment

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@Hellspeed Yes, that is correct. If you have no attachment, you have no karma I.e enlightenment 

@DocHoliday word karma means both action and memory. 

Action is a consiquence of what kind of memomy or data you have. They go together very nicely. 

It's like a software. Software is both a action/function and a certain conditioning/programing. The way a software is programed that's the way the software will function. Same way the kind of memory or data you carry determines everything about you how you feel, think, experience, perceive life, what you do and not do, what you like and dislike etc. 

Edited by Salvijus

@Salvijus Yeah, seems like you're right. I guess I got the hang of it now.