Enlightenment

Here is the most effective method to get enlightened

6 posts in this topic

I will just quote the most important part. If you want to read more: https://s3.amazonaws.com/kajabi-storefronts-production/sites/18817/themes/689414/downloads/ydwsuMgSQKXGZVoj1utb_How-To-Reach-Fundamental-Wellbeing-by-Dr-Jeffery-Martin.pdf

The research focus had always been on trying to understand the psychology, cognitive science, and neuroscience of Fundamental Wellbeing. Very little thought had been given to which techniques were more effective, or why. A decision was made to dive into the data and see what could be learned. The following four-part formula on how to increase the likelihood of reaching Fundamental Wellbeing emerged:

Try multiple, proven methods and pick the one that you notice the most effects from. Make this your primary method, but don’t stop exploring new ones. Be ready to discard any technique when it stops working or you find a better one.

Although there doesn’t seem to be a ‘one size fits all’ method, some have worked for many more people than others. Among the research population, the most successful methods were (not in alphabetical order):

• Awareness-centered practices: Directly placing attention on awareness itself using verbal and non-verbal techniques, during individual or group practice.

• Direct inquiry: Using the mind, emotions, and sensations to actively dig into and seek the truth of one’s self. This is done by constant attention to what the Narrative-Self feels like, or actively trying to deconstruct it through ongoing probing and questioning.

• Mantra-based practices: Using specific words or sounds as an object of concentration for meditative purposes. They may or may not have a meaning, and can be recited aloud or silently. Found across all major religions and spiritual traditions, their most common purpose is to quiet the mind.

• Mindfulness-based practices: Contemplative and meditative techniques for focusing on the present moment in a non-reactive way. Generally, the goal is to obtain a stable, non-judgmental awareness of arising thoughts, emotions, and sensations.

• Noting-based practices: Awareness and mental labeling of ongoing experience. Noting can be done silently or aloud. Both internal (thoughts, emotions, and sensations) and external events can be noted. Traditionally, an individual practice in recent years forms of ‘social noting’ has become popular that involves noting out-loud with one or more others.

As previously discussed, fi nding a proven method isn’t enough. It’s also critical to fi nd the method that will work best for you

So, how do you find the optimum method or methods? The best bet is to try one technique from each of the categories and see where you get. By practicing one method at a time you can be more certain that any effect you feel come only from it. Based on the research, one week of practicing a minimum of an hour a day should be enough time to determine if a method has something to offer you. If you are fortunate enough to have the fi rst technique seem to be working, don’t stop there. Trying some other techniques from the same category may lead to fi nding one that works even better. Alternatively, you can shift to a different category. You might fi nd that the fi rst method was ideal, or surprise yourself by uncovering that you were just experiencing a deep state of relaxation. Relaxation is great, but you’re looking for a method that takes you in the direction of one or more of the things talked about in my core book on this topic, The Finders, such as: higher wellbeing, deeper peace, a reduction in self-referential thought, distance from thoughts and/or emotions, a marked reduction in emotional duration or reactivity, a signifi cant shift in your sense of who you are and what it feels like to be you, and so on. Look for changes that you notice outside of, not just as a part of meditation. If you see positive effects in the rest of your life, not just during your meditation period, it’s a good sign that you’re on the right path.

A method can stop working at any time. Methods that work produce change and, ironically, that change can make the method that produced it less effective for you. It is important to pay careful attention to the effectiveness of each one being used. When a technique stops working or seems to be getting less effective, move on and try some others. The research has shown that people often get attached to methods that have worked, and can have diffi culty letting go of them. Don’t let that happen to you. 16 17 Often, seekers practice many different methods before finding one that works. This makes it hard to give up a cherished technique, even if it doesn’t seem to be working anymore. They usually believe its effectiveness will return if they just keep trying. In a situation like this, the research has shown that it is fine to give the practice another week or two. But, if it doesn’t come back within that time frame you should move on. Techniques shouldn’t be permanently discarded. Just because a method isn’t working right now, it doesn’t mean that it never will. Sometimes research participants reported key practices that worked off and on over the years. Others reported that methods suddenly started working that had been tried previously with no results.

It’s important to spend time your time on the most well vetted and proven methods you can find.

At any given time, only one or a few methods are likely to match up to where you’re at and work optimally for you.

A working method can transition you in a matter of days when earnestly done for at least an hour each day. It doesn’t take years or decades to reach Fundamental Wellbeing.

Methods can work synergistically with each other. Sometimes a method that doesn’t work on its own will do wonders when one or more other methods are used during the same period of time.

Even if a whole method doesn’t work, part of it might. It’s important to pay careful attention to the effects different aspects of methods have. Combining parts of several methods into a new method that works optimally for you might be the best strategy.

Always experiment. Even if you have a working method, it’s a good idea to devote some time to experimenting and trying to find one that works even better or trying to mix up pieces and parts into a custom one that does.

If you’ve used a method for an hour day for more than a week and haven’t seen results, it’s probably best to move on and try to find one that fits you better.

When evaluating a method, it’s best to look for results in your life, not during your meditation time. Positive changes in your reactions to daily events can be a great indicator of meditative effectiveness.

Methods run their course and stop working. Methods that work produce results change you and changes because you to fall out of step with the method that produced them. It’s important to know if a method is just in a lull or if it is no longer effective for you and needs to be swapped out.

Your level of wellbeing matters a great deal. A powerful method can easily cause a “Dark Night of the Soul” experience in someone whose wellbeing is low. It’s important to do everything possible to raise your psychological wellbeing prior to using highly effective methods.

Often it’s impossible to understand why a method works because it is working ‘on the mind’ not ‘in the mind.’ Generally speaking, the more effective a method is at working ‘on the mind,’ the more the method is tuned to help you reach Fundamental Wellbeing.

It’s important not to engage the mind. Consuming more information about Fundamental Wellbeing can be detrimental. It allows the mind to turn it into an object, which makes it increasingly difficult if not impossible to actually reach. The best strategy is diligent and systematic experimentation with known methods.

Edited by Enlightenment

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

That’s really stuff, puts into words much of my own awakening process. Almost to the T. I’ll have to give the book a read. 

My only hesitation is that this type of organic testing and finding what works best requires a degree awareness trust and openness already to I imagine use it effectively but maybe I’m wrong. Kinda hope I am. 

Gonna have to mull this over more but the more I feel my own experience and see what he’s saying there is a simple method that I can see building trust in oneself from the get go. 

Edited by Mu_

Thanks loads for this. Looks excellent and I've downloaded the full file. 

20 hours ago, Mu_ said:

My only hesitation is that this type of organic testing and finding what works best requires a degree awareness trust and openness already to I imagine use it effectively but maybe I’m wrong. Kinda hope I am. 

From my own experience, in the finding and testing what works process, it's best to look for: the number of self-referential thoughts, feeling of being 'you' looking out the world behind eyes (if it has changed), reactivity/emotions, being in the moment (more flow)

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

1 hour ago, Enlightenment said:

From my own experience, in the finding and testing what works process, it's best to look for: the number of self-referential thoughts, feeling of being 'you' looking out the world behind eyes (if it has changed), reactivity/emotions, being in the moment (more flow)

I have similar findings, then dropping it all and realizing there is no moment that could be in.