Revenant

I need advice from wise folks here.

11 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I am one of the subscribers to Leos channel before he started this forum. And i had the chance to learn too much from the channel and this forum as well.

I have simple problem and i decided to bring it here because i believe people here are wiser and more enlighten that other social media users (no offense ).

I wrote a book on overcoming social anxiety and it's very great, i got very positive feed back from people who read it (i gave them pdf copies by email), some of them claim that my book changed there lives forever. The problem is that i can't find a good title for the book that will attract readers. I really hated when i see that there are many people will stay stuck in social anxiety disorder because i have failed to come up with good title, i feel like i let them down.

I have some ideas like:

The Complete Social Anxiety Treatment Program: A Step-by-Step Guide to Eliminate Excessive Shyness and Enjoy Being Open and Outgoing

The Complete Social Anxiety Treatment Program: Eliminate Shyness Step by Step and Enjoy Being Open and Outgoing

The Complete Social Anxiety Treatment Program: Beat Shyness That Holds You Back and Thrive In Your Mental, Social and Professional Life.

The Complete Social Anxiety Treatment Program: Eliminate Shyness and Enjoy Being Center of Attention

Which one of those title is the best: I mean which one would you pay money for (if you suffer from social anxiety), if none of them are good, do you have any suggestions?  i am asking because i know some of you has experience in marketing and business management and know how to grab people's attention.  

Please help i will really appreciated

Thanks

I think those names are too long and have too much discription. 

Also some people might hesitate to buy this book because they don't want to have something laying around that explicitly shows they have an issue. 

Consider something more subtle like "adapt and overcome, how to conquer fear in the social world" 

Edited by Alex

Thank you very much , Alex. i maybe will use the title you have suggested (if you don't mind) or a modified version of it.

I also need suggestion from people who suffer from social anxiety if there any of them in this forum.

Edited by Revenant

Some gimmicky titles you might find in an airport bookstore:

ANXIETY: How to deprogram fear and win socially

UNXIETY:  The smart way to beat anxiety (or your money back)

Beat Anxiety, Win Back Life:  the smart person's guide to social freedom

Anxious? How not too give a @!?@ in the 21st Century.

STATUS ANXIETY: the story of your anxiety and how to overcome it.

The Art of Anxiety: how to unlearn fear in 7 days (or your money back)

The Anxious Ape: the psychology of anxiety and social interaction.

I don't want money, just a brief mention in your book will do... B|

All stories and explanations are false.

Of the 4, I liked 3 the best. It sounds like it has good insights in it compared to the other ones because it points to an insight that will help with shyness in all areas of your life. 

Instead let a seed germinate and grow by not even mentioning social anxiety initially:

"Surfing the soul: A step by step guide to developing smoothness in crowds and establishing self- dignity."

But if I had to pick a title from yours it would be #2. Because you used the word "openess."

God speed.

4 hours ago, JohnnyBravo said:

"Surfing the soul: A step by step guide to developing smoothness in crowds and establishing self- dignity."

"Soul" in the title will turn away every single ateist in the world, and will bug agnostics.

Take time to name your book. Make it something personal and expressing. Do your best to make the name neutral in terms of race, gender and faith. Think of your core audience, when they see your book are they more attracted to a title that mentions social anxiety on the broad scale, or are they attracted to a book that promises help for a specific problem like self-esteem? Even though self-esteem has become the meme of self-help in recent years it could still help to mention it in the cover, because people generally dont know where their problems come from, and they focus on these simple solutions that only focus on self-esteem, changing appereance etc.

Good luck with the title!

@Revenant

Marketing is highly dependent on your targeted market.

You must know exactly how the people you're aiming to help think about anxiety.

I'm sure you did write your book from your own experience, and that's why I'm sure you know how people feel from there. So, you know exactly what are the words they're looking for, try not to oversell your book with the title though, overselling might give opposite results.

You must also expect that people who actually suffer from anxiety are mostly desperate for a solution, so a simple confident-looking title I think will be great, like: "The Illusion Of Anxiety", or "The Other Side Of Fear", etc...

Another important point, how are you planning to publish your book? You need good advertisement, and a lot of acquaintances and friends. The more the better.

These in my opinion are the most important factors in marketing, especially when there are a lot of competitors.

Other miscellaneous factors: good cover, high quality paper, well written language, clear communication, good structure, reliable references.

But mainly it's about your acquaintances and advertisement.

Good luck!

Edited by Truth Addict

Tim Ferris from the 4 hour workweek simply recomends you to split test your headlines.

I was thinking of something like this:

Title: SHY (with a blue background) or: FUCK SHYNESS 

Description: Eliminate social anxiety and talk to people. or: Play the social game like a master

don't think about what YOU want the title to be!!! You're not the one buying it remember? 

As an earlier shy person, these headlines would grab my attention. Best of luck to you with your book.

I want to thank you all LastThursday, d0ornokey, JohnnyBravo, Winter, Hansu, Truth Addict and ThomasT for your great advices.

I felt lost before you gave me directions for what to do. i am now more confident that my book will be successful

I will keep you updated after I publish  

Regards