Lise

Do you want to help a 19-year-old?

7 posts in this topic

Hello world!

Currently I'm studying computer science (freshman), and I find it extremely unfulfilling and boring. I want to quit. Now. Should I, or should I power on until september? 

Background info:

- I've been thinking about this for a few weeks already. Heart says: "PURSUE YOUR PASSIONS" but mind says "finish this year because of money".

- If I finish this year, I will be done in september because I failed one of my exams (and will probably fail more this year).

- I had much better work ethics in high school, and graduated with good enough grades to get into all "programmes" in Norway (where I live). Fun fact: so good grades that if you don't pick certain subjects in norwegian high school, it would be "impossible" for you to get.

- If I finish I'll have 60 000 NOK / 7000 USD / 6200 euros in debt.

- If I don't finish I'll be having 110 000 NOK / 11400 euros / 13 000 USD in debt.

- I will probably work my ass of if I decide to actually pass everything, because of quality. That means no time to experiment with life. Which I will if I quit. I've never been more productive, or inspired this semester, than when I'm in one of my LPC-crams.

Do you have any advice? ANY at all will be much appreciated. 

Edited by Lise

Did you finish the LPC? I used to be a programmer now I am a Massage Therapist I wasted money and time pursuing technology even when I don't liked it. The only good thing is that I know a lot about computers and technology but If I could go back I would not get in debt for going to college. I would go to a community College and study there. Community colleges here in the states are cheap and they are very good to Kickstart your career and to study the basics. Finish the LPC! Find your purpuse don't waste time. Good luck! 

It's difficult to say whether or not to quit or whether this advice will work from someone who isn't actually in your situation, nor do i know your passion.

If there's a way to align your current skills from school with your passion it may ease the process having a practical skill and an ability to find out the best routines that fit for you to embody that in your daily life.

Post-Graduation there's never 100% guarantee you'll find a job, or one that's well paying. But it does give opportunity for growth if you do work your ass off, but it takes a lot to come up with a vivid and convincing goal to see be able to keep up at a constant pace even when things start to get rough.

That I'd imagine goes either which path you take, with that said I'd go with my gut decision because either way you decide to go mistakes will be made and learnt from, and "positive outcomes" are completely subjective and I don't know what's good for you - the question is do you?

@nahtanoj @Omni So refreshing to hear your opinions. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot.

This massage therapy thing really amazes me. And Omni, I think you're very right. Your outlook on life matters a lot. "Maybe it's good luck, maybe it's bad luck" huh?

Find what invigorates you! If you want more options to choose from to find whatever you want to do, talk to a school advisor! They can give you other options within the academic sector that others may not be able to! If you find you want to look outside the academic sector, the internet has just about every option available to you! The key here is figuring out what you want to do and what excites you when you learn about it! When you find that thing, do that! Good luck and Congratulations!

As someone who is 20, I feel your struggles.

Do you see what you are doing now as a means to reaching your life purpose? Your passion?

Are you doing this to run away from poorhood or because you want to pursue what makes you happy?

Being scared of being poor can create a lot of neurotic behaviors. 

But even if you don't enjoy it and the money paves way towards your passion, that could benefit you in the long run, because then the money becomes less about fear and more about being used as a tool to achieve a goal.

Does it HAVE to be either or? Or would you be able to find/follow your passion on the side for the next 6 months and then move on? (What's the point of getting good grades if you quit anyways, just make sure you're "good" enough to pass the exams ;-) )

To one person 50'000 NOK is a lot of money, to others it's peanuts.

You're still young, you've got plenty of time and 6 months is nothing. But then again, why continue doing something you hate? Life's too short for that!

Just don't make the same mistake again, getting in debt for a degree you probably don't even need (unless you really DO need to get that degree or title to pursue your passion, but about 80% of the time you don't and would be better off learning the skills on your own).

But that's just my opinion, and I bet you already know what feels right for you. :)