Truth Addict

Excessively long retreats, not good

9 posts in this topic

I'm not talking about a 30-day or a even full-year retreats.
I'm talking about complete isolation, like living in a cave for the rest of one's life.
I thought about this idea of isolating myself forever, and here's my conclusion:
Don't do it with the intent of doing it forever.
If you're stubborn, and you won't back up on this idea, then at least just consider returning back to normal life.
Why am I saying this?
Because it might give you happiness to live by yourself, but it certainly will not be as much as the happiness you get while still interacting with others.
The problem with this cave thing is that it builds up tolerance to seeing the beauty of life, and numbs down your ability to feel happy because of the lack of contrast.
We need the illusion to see the Truth, full Truth all the time won't be of value to us at all.
After coming to this conclusion, I started to think that people who live in caves are more deluded than those who come back (whether they preach to others or not), or at least very afraid to face reality and start from ground zero.
So, before you commit to something like that, make sure you have a back-up plan to save your ass if you ever wanted to come back.
After all, when we die we will completely be with Truth. So, why die early?
The reason I'm saying this is because I've seen some people on here talking about doing such endeavours, and I support them, but I want them to be well as well.

And I know it's just my perspective, but I think one should take it into account before making such decisions.

Thank you.

Edited by Truth Addict

I agree.  All this forcing yourself to do stuff is neurotic.  Just take things more organically.

2 minutes ago, Girzo said:

But what if seclusion is someone's organic urge? @Joseph Maynor

Oh yeah, then go for it.  At the end of the day you gotta do what you think is best on the Path.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

2 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

I'm not talking about a 30-day or a even full-year retreats.
I'm talking about complete isolation, like living in a cave for the rest of one's life.
I thought about this idea of isolating myself forever, and here's my conclusion:
Don't do it with the intent of doing it forever.
If you're stubborn, and you won't back up on this idea, then at least just consider returning back to normal life.
Why am I saying this?
Because it might give you happiness to live by yourself, but it certainly will not be as much as the happiness you get while still interacting with others.
The problem with this cave thing is that it builds up tolerance to seeing the beauty of life, and numbs down your ability to feel happy because of the lack of contrast.
We need the illusion to see the Truth, full Truth all the time won't be of value to us at all.
After coming to this conclusion, I started to think that people who live in caves are more deluded than those who come back (whether they preach to others or not), or at least very afraid to face reality and start from ground zero.
So, before you commit to something like that, make sure you have a back-up plan to save your ass if you ever wanted to come back.
After all, when we die we will completely be with Truth. So, why die early?
The reason I'm saying this is because I've seen some people on here talking about doing such endeavours, and I support them, but I want them to be well as well.

And I know it's just my perspective, but I think one should take it into account before making such decisions.

Thank you.

Have you met someone that went to live in a cave and it failed?

58 minutes ago, SerpaeTetra said:

Have you met someone that went to live in a cave and it failed?

Nope.

Have you read the whole post? I said I think people who live in caves are deluded.

I don't know, but I think so.

The more conscious I become the more I feel like my introverted nature is a huge part of my ego, and was formed as a reaction to childhood. People are a huge challenge and I've noticed that I keep having unconscious expectations that other people aren't as wise as me so they can't offer me any value, but then when I interact with people with openness and without judgement I am humbled and find that that's not the case. Or if people make me angry or disappoint me it's almost always because I don't like a part of myself I see reflected in them.

I do wonder if people who are extroverts would benefit from long solo retreats though. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

The other thing I've noticed in this community, is that there is a 20 something male tendency to take the "badass" road to enlightenment. I love Leo and I love Wim Hoff and others, but don't limit yourself to taking very masculine or extreme approaches to awakening. If you can balance this stuff with the small and simple things, it can lead to major realizations and the underlying sense of joy and peace, flexibility and fluidity that is the whole point of this work. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

1 hour ago, mandyjw said:

I do wonder if people who are extroverts would benefit from long solo retreats though. 

I don't know, I'm not even sure they can last a short one.

I myself am an introvert, and I find it extremely difficult to commit to a 7-days retreat.

I like your YouTube channel!

You seem full of love and light and so at peace. Keep it up.