8Ball

Finally found the strength to quit my job

14 posts in this topic

A brief summary. 26 years old, been working as a claims handler for three years now, salary at 35k a year, own a Mercedes CLA 250, model 2015 which is paid in full and own my very own apartment which I've fully renovated. Not saying this to boast or anything, explanation will follow below.

According to my contract, I still need to work there for three more months after quitting, but man oh, my man, does it feel good! It took every strength I had, all the willpower and conviction to have the guts to tell my boss that I'm quitting! Been wanting to quit for a while now because I want to support myself with something that fulfills me and adds value in my life. I want to escape wage slavery as in Leo's video.

Now, it's usually best not to quit your job if you don't find another job or some other means of supporting yourself. I don't plan to ever get a regular job, so I quit cold turkey I guess.  However, I've decided to sell my car, about 25k right there, and I'm soon about to sell my apartment which is completely renovated, at least 50k there. Been flipping real estate since 22, my fourth apartment this time around. So I'm going to do OK money wise after quitting my job, but now I can't seem to choose what path to go.

I will still look for new jobs the coming three months because you never know how all of this might turn out.

I will sell my car and apartment and use a part of the capital to start my own business. Not sure what kind of value my business can give the world. 

Take the money and travel the world and I'm fairly sure that this will be the most exciting time of my life. Exploring, travelling to remote places, trying new things, hiking, mountainclimbing etc. The problem here is when my long journey is over, I come home to nothing.

Focus full-time on my YouTube channel. I have around 3k subscribers which I hope to increase to 30k in a year if I put out good content, promote the videos via adwords etc.

Finish writing my book. I came in contact with a writer who had over 10 books published kn the 90s, and he really belives that my book has a chance of being published. Not just something he says, he's the most honest man ever, way to honest. 

I don't know what to prioritize! I want to do it all but in order to support myself I should find my purpose and pursue that thing and that thing alone.

Anyone else with experience of quitting your job, just like that, without a plan B or C? Please tell me everything about how your life turned out. Success stories, failures, things you learned from mistakes, the struggles you had to face. Tell me everything!

Edited by 8Ball

I paint abstract art. Check out my website and let me know what you think.

https://www.galleriabstrakt.se/collections/all

(I only ship within Sweden so forgive me if you see a painting you'd like but can't order)

@8Ball congratulations!

i did it in 2015 to start my master's on artificial intelligence in 2016. but the academic aspect wasn't the most important part.

i used the free time to work on myself. i dedicated my life to meditation and Truth seeking. i was thirsty for healing... wanted to clean up all of my old vices and toxic mental patterns. BEST IDEA EVER. totally worth it.

my advice is: you can work on your career or study something new, but the most important part is to work on yourself. learn to open your heart. learn to be tranquil and learn how to spend energy more efficiently. there is a lot of things to learn on the field of personal development.

unborn Truth

Thanks man. Quitting my job meant going against almost every instinct. My job is a security, it pays for my home, gas, food and lots of other things. With the money I'll have after selling my car and apartment will allow me to support myself for quite a while but in the long run I need to come up with something. Not in six months, or a year, I nedd to come up with something soon.

Yes, there's a lot of work to do about myself and there will be time for that for sure, so that's more like a daily routine I need to implement. My number one priority right now is not to reach enlightenment or self-actualizing, I first hope to establish a solid foundation for a means to support myself. I don't particularly strive to become successful and make tons of money. More like just living a life on my own terms by doing something I love.

@ajasatya How did friends and family react to your decision and how do you support yourself nowadays?

Edited by 8Ball

(I only ship within Sweden so forgive me if you see a painting you'd like but can't order)

@Elia Thanks, I know I had to quit because I wasn't getting anything out of my life from a 9 - 5 office job. Especially when it comes to the insurance business. To every now and then have to reject a customer, sometimes huge sums of money in compensation, just because some small detail in the terms allows us to decline a customer. Breaks me apart sometimes.

Yeah well, the videos I have on my channel are embarassing, or rather terribly made. I've been an amateur videographer for years now but the videos uploaded on my channel... I'm terribly dissatisfied with them and haven't deleted them yet since they bring me about 100 extra bucks a month. I'll soon delete the videos and make quality content, then I might reveal my channel :D

@8Ball family did not like it. friends? i didn't have real friends back then.

but yeah, you need a solid plan to stay alive. and here's my advice: choose a simple and economic life. small apartment, take buses, eat wisely, don't waste money on alcohol or any other drugs. don't allow the money on your bank account to deceive you. i'd avoid "traveling the world" or any other expensive move without having a good source of income.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya Yeah, I'll raise hell when I tell my family about this. I am definitely striving for a more minimalistic lifestyle. There'a a part om me inside telling me that "why of course you can support yourself, you set your own limitations for how to live your life." A part of me says that it makes sense to start my own business, and intuitively it does indeed mighr be exactly what I should strive for. But what value can I bring to the world? Hmm, it's gonna be looong three months now trying to organize all my thoughts.

Did you took the life purpose course? Why not to spend this time studying the LP course and doing good habits!?

@nahtanoj I've heard good things about his course and if there's one person I would trust my money with by purchasing something like that, it would be Leo. His youtube videos changed my inner mechanics so to speak and a lot of my limitings beliefs are now distant memories and I think completely different now... in a good way.

My problem is if I should pursue success or just live out my passion. I've been thinking a lot these past few days and combining both seems to be my best option

I'm currently writing down a three month plan (last day at work is May 21st) I am beginning to renovate the final remaining things in my home and will contact a real estate agent within three weeks. Hopefully at least 40k profit. I'll sell my car within two weeks so money won't be an issue, at least not at first. When my money run out and I haven't progressed anything, that's when I've failed.

My passion is very simple. I love mountain climbing, hiking and doing all sorts of adrenaline-laced activities like skydiving. In August 2018 I skydived from 220 m and a few weeks earlier I climed the highest mountain in Sweden. I'm thinking I should pursue a career in Youtube and upload my adventures to, hopefully, inspire other people. Starting with 3k subscribers is good, but the problem with all of this is that it will take A LOT more than 3k subscribers to live off of youtube.

@Emptystickfigure I wouldn't say it was my intuition. I think it had more to do with that I wasn't spending my life the way I should, the way I want. The last 16 - 18 months or so I've had a strong desire to live life on my own terms. My ego fought me to hell over this decision. "What will my family think?" "What if I fail miserably?" All these what ifs circulated in me. I knew 100% that I wanted to live a different life so the first step was basically quitting my job. I wanted to take that first step, to ACT for once in my life.

@Iksander Thanks man.

Last night I had a very vivid dream of being shot and trying hard to stay alive. It's like in real life, like I'm aiming at rock bottom but really struggling and working hard to get up on my feet again.

Word of advice to anyone here wanting to quit your jobs. Make sure you're covered financially for a while after quitting or have some other source of income when you quit. If I had quit without selling my car and making a profit off of selling my apartment I would surely be completely miserable right now.

If you want to quit wage slavery why do you say youll still look for new jobs? You got the guts to quit the slavery, dont come back, and dont lose time procrastinating your goal, start your business now you got the motivation. If you spend like a sabatic year traveling youll become lazy.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:45 AM, 8Ball said:

@Emptystickfigure I wouldn't say it was my intuition. I think it had more to do with that I wasn't spending my life the way I should, the way I want. The last 16 - 18 months or so I've had a strong desire to live life on my own terms. My ego fought me to hell over this decision. "What will my family think?" "What if I fail miserably?" All these what ifs circulated in me. I knew 100% that I wanted to live a different life so the first step was basically quitting my job. I wanted to take that first step, to ACT for once in my life.

@Iksander Thanks man.

Last night I had a very vivid dream of being shot and trying hard to stay alive. It's like in real life, like I'm aiming at rock bottom but really struggling and working hard to get up on my feet again.

Word of advice to anyone here wanting to quit your jobs. Make sure you're covered financially for a while after quitting or have some other source of income when you quit. If I had quit without selling my car and making a profit off of selling my apartment I would surely be completely miserable right now.

Good luck!