Ninie

Let it be or let it go?

10 posts in this topic

I have accumulated pretty much content about enlightenment, although one of them - being in the present moment - seems to outweigh and annihilate all of the others. 

Everyone says, detach from the mind and observe without thinking and analyzing, but if you realize that any thought, any suffering, frustration, burden, etc. comes from the mind being concerned about the past or the future, and as soon as you ground yourself in the present moment, what is there left to observe? 

It seems to me that nothing can survive the present moment. Where is 'the path'? What should I question? Why meditate, what to observe? What's there to work on? This really  frustrates me because I think of myself as being on a some kind of spiritual journey, but all of that, all the teaching, practice, anything just disappears as soon as I ground myself in the Now.

I also think that my inability to observe my thoughts and emotions comes from the lack of disciplined spiritual practice. I don't meditate on a daily basis and when I get a tip like "look without thinking", my mind gets triggered and suffers even more because I don't seem to know how to do that. 

So.. letting it be and letting it go seem contradictory to me. Should I trust my intuition and just follow what resonates with me(letting go, being in the present moment, which kills anything else) or should I work on observing, meditating and find out what "letting be" actually is by myself?  

Edited by Ninie

8 minutes ago, Ninie said:

"look without thinking", 

This is your mistake.

Try to observe the activity of the mind next time.

What is it doing. And observe. See what's happening in your mind

8 minutes ago, Ninie said:

I also think that my inability to observe my thoughts and emotions comes from the lack of disciplined spiritual practice. I don't meditate on a daily basis and when I get a tip like "look without thinking", my mind gets triggered and suffers even more because I don't seem to know how to do that. 

So you are capable of observing your emotions after all. Frustration is also an emotion.

Edited by Salvijus

@Salvijus I mean the exact same thing with different words when I say "looking without thinking" and "observing the mind". 

Look with thinking then. Allows the thoughts to flow and only observe them. See how they behave. What they do. What they talk about. What feelings they create.

@RichardY the mind, thoughts, suffering, story, life, "path", spiritual teachings, resistance, everything 

@Ninie the problem is the mind is an illusion; the mind is an accumulation of thoughts technically. so letting the thoughts be is letting them pop up in your head and then just staying still not reacting to it by coming up with another thoughts

example of these thoughts would be 

"ohh no i shouldn't have thought those thoughts"

" i shouldn't be thinking, mind be quiet" 

"no mind , no mind , no mind , no mind mmmm" 

letting them be, is finding a space or gap in your thought stream where the thoughts on that category stop and you just remain in silence, after a while of attempting to do this you will get better at it. 

@Ninie There is a timeline that appears within Now. Human minds are conditioned to spend 99.9% of it’s existence within a timeline and interpret everything in the context of a timeline, so it can be quite odd getting to know Now. 

During first exposure of Now, it is tempting to try and get rid of the timeline. Yet, I don’t think this is fruitful. The timeline exists within Now. Everything is occuring Now, including thoughts related to a timeline. It’s not that the timeline vanishes. It appears and disappears in Now. It’s the relationship with the timeline that changes. The attachment and identification to the timeline dissolves. It doesn’t have the same “realness” as it once did.