OrpheusNovum

What I realized about enlightenment today

33 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

@Joseph Maynor Super cool! I love live classic jazz. Can you play All Blues? Or Flamenco Sketches? My two favorite jazz trumpet songs.  

I can play 'All Blues' but not Flamenco Sketches yet.  What's cool about all blues is it's in 6/8 time -- basically 3/4 time or what we call a Jazz Waltz.  Most jazz tunes are in 4/4 time so it was hard for me to learn how to improvise over 3/4 time to get the right feel.  That was the tune I learned when I graduated from like intermediate to advanced.  In fact, my first teacher had the chart for 'All Blues' sitting on the table when I came to my first meeting/lesson with him.  

I used to play with some of these guys:

You can actually see me in the front left playing trumpet in the dark jacket and khaki pants: the tune is "Freddie Freeloader"

Edited by Joseph Maynor

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all."

-Aristotle 

@Serotoninluv Yeah, the only think with Jim Carrey though is he has to please his audience, he can't be dis-likeable. A lot of tragedy behind the scenes. As Leo said, comedy and tragedy are dualities. Heard as much as well in "Rhetoric and Poetics" Aristotle.

Heath Ledger though, best Joker character ever.

Edited by RichardY

Is this what self-deception looks like?

-Aristotle 

@RichardY I think Jim goes to deep zones on his own. He has amazing art studies in his house. With like platforms so he can lie on his belly and paint. 

I think he tones it down to n public. Yet, most of us do. Turquoise can be nice unsettling and threatening to some. I’ve gotten pushback at my work as well and need to tone it down.

4 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

@RichardY I think Jim goes to deep zones on his own. He has amazing art studies in his house. With like platforms so he can lie on his belly and paint. 

I think he tones it down to n public. Yet, most of us do. Turquoise can be nice unsettling and threatening to some. I’ve gotten pushback at my work as well and need to tone it down.

What kind of pushback?

-Aristotle 

5 minutes ago, OrpheusNovum said:

What kind of pushback?

Turquoise level stuff makes my colleagues uncomfotable. They like green and yellow though.  

For example, I was doing zenner cards in my office with a couple of students to explore paranormal abilities. A couple of my colleagues caught wind and questioned me about it. 

Zenner cards?

-Aristotle 

1 minute ago, OrpheusNovum said:

Zenner cards?

Cards to test and practice ESP.

@Joseph Maynor That is so cool! I didn’t know you’ve got a right brain thing going on.

You know, I've had really powerful empathic experiences before, but I've always explained it through psychology. It freaks me out, and then I feel ashamed because I feel like I'm violating people's space for something I can't control.

-Aristotle 

11 minutes ago, Serotoninluv said:

@Joseph Maynor That is so cool! I didn’t know you’ve got a right brain thing going on.

One of the beautiful moments of my life was when I was learning how to play jazz around that time 2010-2011.  Those guys taught me initially.  I was just a dude who showed up with a trumpet every jam session, and then they all started to teach me stuff.  The bass player with the long hair was the guy I met with who had the chart for "All Blues" on his table when I arrived at his house for a lesson.  The other trumpet player is very good as you can see.  They tolerated me initially haha.  But I eventually got very good.  Jazz is weird because it requires an equal amount of left-brain and right-brain to play.  Your creativity can let loose, but it's gotta make sense with everything else that's happening from a kind of logical level too.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor