Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OrpheusNovum

Weight loss stagnation

5 posts in this topic

So, I used to be 450 pounds, and I dropped 150 over the last 2-3 years, but I'm at a plateau. Can anyone share their tips, tricks and tools?

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all."

-Aristotle 

1. Exercise 

2. Eat less calories

put everything that you eat/drink into a calorie counter app to help. I use this, its free and has Macro/Micro nutrient breakdowns 

https://cronometer.com/

Decrease your eating window— Whatever works, 12 hours or less eating window is usually effective

Raise your food standards— ex: no processed foods, sugars, fast foods, etc.

Get more sleep (super under-estimated)

Make it more interesting. You’re probably bored with your food/exercise or something so workout longer or shorter & more intense

Make a higher goal— not just weight loss. For example:

• run your first 5k
  • Do a pull-up
  • Increase your energy 
  • Learn a sport/active hobby/ or skill like dancing

23 hours ago, OrpheusNovum said:

So, I used to be 450 pounds, and I dropped 150 over the last 2-3 years, but I'm at a plateau. Can anyone share their tips, tricks and tools?

That's phenomenal, good job. But you're right, you need to keep going. @Karla's advice is great, although I can't imagine doing a pull-up will be on your horizon until you drop another 100.

Never ever drink soda or juice. Just water. Eat lots of vegetables and fruits, especially green vegetables.

Lots of easy cardio, it's a very effective way to burn a lot of calories quickly. Swimming and spin would be good low impact angles. Running is great but it might be too high impact at first if your bodyweight is high, injury risk.

Good luck!

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@OrpheusNovum

Congratulations - that's a huge achievement.  

Weight training changed my physique and I recommend it over cardio. I exercise 3x a week for about 80 minutes each and while I was doing cardio for years (jogging outdoors, elliptical machines, bikes), my weight loss wasn't as dramatic as when I switched to  weight training (3x/week about 80 minutes a session, full body workout each time).  

You build muscle, improve posture, physique  etc. 

The key trio for improvement is :

1. Consistency - gym is a habit for me, non-negotiable. 3x a week. Also you MUST do progressive overload. Each week aim to do it just a bit heavier, faster, less rest etc. Pushing yourself a bit is where you gains come from. 

Track your measurements and weights (if you don't measure it, you can't improve it)

2. Diet - breakfast is a smoothie, I count calories, generally otherwise. Forget cheat days/meals. Built a habit of eating healthy or less than you're used  to. Cut down  alcohol, it dramatically slows your recovery and metabolism.

3. Sleep - get your good 6-7 hours a night. Otherwise your body doesn't have time to recuperate.

When you slack, just get back up and continue where you left of. 

Don't give up!