LoveandPurpose

How do you recognize spiritual bypassing?

5 posts in this topic

How can you differenciate between the unconscious ego-mind just creating unnecessary suffering and actual problems which have to be dealt with?

Edited by LoveandPurpose

At the human level, it’s relative / subjective. You decide your values and when something strays outside of that, you might consider it a problem. You may also try to get in touch with your intuition and  what disturbs you. Yet, there is no external objective universal tool to designate something as a “problem”. 

At the absolute level, there are no problems as the ego perceives them.

@LoveandPurpose all problems are created by the ego-mind. In reality, there are no problems to be dealt with. 

If you are not convinced, give me an example of what you consider to be a real problem, and I will show you how it is created by the mind.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

It’s simple.  

If you’re using spiritual beliefs or practices to avoid dealing with a problem, then it’s probably spiritual bypassIng. 

For example, someone has an alcoholic addiction and he say to himself, “Oh, everything in the universe is in divine order. I have no free will.  So might as well keep doing what I’m doing.  After all I have no control at all.”

Another example:  A person has social anxiety. And to deal with the problem, they meditate for many many hours instead of seeking professional help.

On 1/9/2019 at 2:07 AM, LoveandPurpose said:

How can you differenciate between the unconscious ego-mind just creating unnecessary suffering and actual problems which have to be dealt with?

If your problem stands on the way of your authentic desire and you avoid dealing with the problem by suppression of the desire and stick spirituallity into that hole - that's the sign of bypass.

Edited by Privet