CreamCat

How shall I plan my solo retreats?

10 posts in this topic

1. Place // Home solo retreat was doable. It would be better if I set a few ground rules because I found myself distracted on the internet for 1~2 hours.
  2. Duration
    • My recent one-day home solo retreat was mediocre, yet it was far more potent than a 20-minute meditation. It made me directly experience how good slowing down is. Being mindful and slow is far faster than losing my life to a sea of distractions.
    • How long should it become over time?
  3. Frequency
    • When and how often shall I do it?
  4. Types of solo retreat
    • During my recent one-day solo retreat, I basically meditated randomly, loitered aimlessly, and wrote down insights. I think it can be better. What types of solo retreat do I need? Perhaps, should the next solo retreat be a mix of do-nothing meditation and journaling about my life problems?
Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat Hmm perhaps place all your electronics and even your journal in another room.

Set aside 3-5 hours of time and have a stack of meditation techniques ready that you would like to cycle (use a blanket and get comfy, while keeping your back straight.) This is what i prefer to do.

Journaling can become a distraction if your intent was to deepen your meditation practice. 

@Sahil Pandit So, I should plan ahead the next retreat. Set aside hours of time for meditation. Plan ahead.

@CreamCat Leave the house and go to a cheap motel room or camp outdoors.

The house has too many distractions.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

@CreamCat Leave the house and go to a cheap motel room or camp outdoors.

The house has too many distractions.

I think 99% of distractions of the house come from my computer. In particular, the internet accounts for 99% of all distractions that come from my computer. I rarely use my smartphone. I rarely get phone calls. I don't use smartphone for the internet because it's too slow and painful to type letters on the small touchscreen. I guess I will be fine as long as

• My computer is turned off, and optionally my keyboard and mouse are stored away from my computer.
  • Or, my computer is not connected to the internet if the computer is turned on for electronic journaling. I journal on my computer.

What did you find distracting in your house other than your computer? Or, will I succumb to the temptation of the internet if it's not too inconvenient(e.g. I'm too far away from my computer.) to use it?

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat None of that can be trusted. The ego will circumvent all your lofty ideas.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

@CreamCat None of that can be trusted. The ego will circumvent all your lofty ideas.

Are you saying that even if I stored my keyboard, my mouse, and my smartphone in a distant building, my ego will find a way to distract myself with some uninteresting objects such as a university textbook in my house? Or, will I just go out and enjoy reconnaissance in my neighborhood for hours if there is nothing interesting in my house?

Even if I was in a cabin in the woods, would my ego just give up and drive home before the end of a 10-day solo retreat?

If I remembered correctly, you were doing 30-day solo retreat at home in May 2018. What really happened to your 30-day solo retreat last year?

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat Try it and see what happens.

You can try to rent a scout house near your place, they should have all the equipment needed, while being cheaper than cabins in the woods in my opinion :) I will probably try this myself one day... 

Damn, you're tantalizing me. I'm going to set up a 2-day weekend home solo retreat without my electronic devices and see what happens.

Edited by CreamCat