Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intuition

Weed and self-loathing

10 posts in this topic

A few minutes after smoking, my mind goes into a whirlwind of self-hatred, shame and guilt. Every mistake from past to present is brought up. It seems like just below the conscious surface is a war zone of self loathing, and weed brings it all up. I was raised in a Midwestern religious shaming culture, and I was a black sheep. Any way, my questions:

1. Why is this happening?

2. Can I use weed to treat this, since it forces me to face the issue so directly? How would I approach this?

Any insight would be much appreciated, thank you!!

To me it seems like this whirlwind is constantly inside your head, you just learned to suppress it and not notice it. The weed "loosens up" your brain and there are less boundaries, some thoughts from the subconscious mind can become conscious. As you may know, some artists use that to lose their inhibitions and create beautiful art. Not a scientific answer but I'm not a psychiatrist.

I'd be careful with using drugs to treat anything. You should only try that if you're guided by a professional, who actually knows what he's talking about. I think weed could potentially even make this condition worse for you in the long run. Instead, try finding that whirlwind in your everyday life. Does it ever really go away or does it stay? In which situations do you notice it in your everyday life? Don't numb your mind, don't hide from it, experience it fully, then you can start to heal.

Edited by Damir Elezi

@Intuition Perhaps the weed has done it’s job. It revealed some sibconscious stuff. Now you can work through it consciously. 

Religious guilt/shame can take a while to deconstruct. 

How often do you smoke?

If I smoke weed once and a while it's fun and yields insight. If I smoke it often it makes me feel depressed, anxious, and self-conscious. Weed is an interesting drug because it can serve as a depressant for some people and serve as a stimulant for others. Google it. Weed can magnify and illuminate your emotions. I personally believe it can be used in a spiritual context for that reason. It lets you know what you need to work on.

You mentioned self-hatred, shame and guilt. Those are characteristics of depression.

Weed helped me feel and deal with anxiety that I got really good at suppressing. But after awhile I had to give it up too (at least habitually, I still smoke casually with friends), in order to continue progressing.

Thanks for all your responses. I rarely smoke, but I bought it this time specifically for this purpose, to mindfully observe the subconscious programming. I'd love to find ways to overcome this, it's hindering my self development progress to say the least.

It's bringing out things that are already in your mind. The only way out is to face them.

@Intuition Youre smoking to much and working to little on yourself

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?