Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cepzeu

Helpful pointer for meditation

7 posts in this topic

Meditation can be difficult, uncomfortable, tedious, and feel like a waste of time. 

I recently got back into meditation and committed to meditating for at least 20 min every day for the rest of my life. 

I had an insight the other day which greatly improved my meditation sessions:

-It reduced my monkey mind greatly

-It helped me stay focused and not indulge in the thoughts that arise

-My meditation sessions have become much more pleasant and enjoyable, I look forward to meditating now

Essentially, what I do is I give up control.

I set the intention that I will meditate for 20 minutes, I sit down, and briefly focus on the breath.  Aside from that I don't 'try' and focus when thoughts arise, I don't will myself to avoid the temptation of thoughts, etc. 

'Wanting' the meditation to go right only makes it more difficult because you think that you are lacking control when thoughts arise or you lose focus. 

There is no one in control. Surrender perceived control and let the body be as it will. Counter-intuitively you will notice how awareness shifts from an egoic point of view ("I'm thinking too much, there are so many thoughts, why can't I concentrate for more than 10 seconds straight" )  into itself.

Let me repeat. By trying to control the session, your awareness gets stuck in the limited point of view of the (non-existent) controller, or ego. By letting go of control, awareness is free to be aware of what is, which is things like bodily sensations, thoughts, sights and sounds, etc. WITHOUT being wrapped up in it, so to say.

(ok, finer distinction time:)

This takes 'you' from thinking that  'your' awareness is 'your' mind and 'your' thoughts,  to You experiencing all as awareness. :) 

There is no need to control the mind or body, there was never anyone in control. Let reality flow on its own and just be aware of it, not via mind, but via awareness of all, including mind. A deep sense of release and flow will be felt, the body will be relaxed, and the mind will quite down like a singing person who thought they were alone but found out they weren't :) 

@Cepzeu I agree, I had one of the most comfortable and easy meditation sessions (45 minutes) of my life yesterday when I just sat down, focused on breath, and then let go.

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

7 hours ago, VictorB02 said:

@Cepzeu I agree, I had one of the most comfortable and easy meditation sessions (45 minutes) of my life yesterday when I just sat down, focused on breath, and then let go.

@VictorB02 I had the exact same experience. In the past I would struggle a lot to get 20 minutes in, but letting go helped my meditation and strong determination sits go (surprisingly) smoothly.

I feel as though my body gets to a very relaxed state, where I almost melt into the couch/chair or someone puts a heavy blanket over me when I decide to let go of control. And when the body is still, the mind tends to follow.

Edited by Cepzeu

@Cepzeu Yes! Great way to put it... I feel very grounded and very relaxed, its as if the tension in my body just completely releases and I melt into my chair as well!

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.” ― Meister Eckhart,

@Cepzeu Totally agree. my best sessions are the ones where I literally do nothing, do no technique, stop trying to block thoughts, stop trying to keep perfect posture, stop trying at all. And those sessions are so insightful and enjoyable that I wish they could never end, I could sit for hours in this way.

But the minute I start focusing too hard, wondering if I'm doing it "right", looking at the clock, those sessions are the most fruitless.