7thLetter

If passion is needed to stay consistent in one's endeavors, then..

51 posts in this topic

You do not need passion, passion is dangerous to your mind if you can not see it. 

You can do just  fine without it , you do thousands of things a day without passion. 

@Preetom When it comes to applying it to a mass population, I’ve always thought of it as; society has been and is always moving forward subconsciously, through observation of the media, actions of other people, and use of technology. It is happening this very second, but I probably wouldn’t say it happens in an upward straight line but more like the harmonic oscillator that Leo mentioned in one of his recent videos. Or another example would be like looking at a graph in the financial markets. Evolution is moving forward, but very slowly.

So there is not much we can do right now to speed up the process, but to simply just let things be and let society sort itself out. For example, WW1 and WW2 definitely has helped us move forward as a whole, has it not?

With Leo being one of the popular leaders in the Self-Actualization community, he definitely has a huge impact on a large group of people, but its still not enough to completely change the world. I think of it as him reaching a large audience with his videos, and less than 5% of those people will actually use the knowledge they’ve learned from him to try to make a difference in the world themselves as well. Although it doesn’t even have to mean us trying to spread an ideology, but simply improving own psyche and existing in the world for others to observe our actions and move those around us forward, subconsciously.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

@purerogue When I first read your post, I thought to myself, “hmm. True.” We brush our teeth, walk, scratch our heads, use our eyes, breathe, sleep, etc. But is it true that we don’t have passion for those things? Could it be that, sure we don’t specifically have passion for those things but simply a passion for our own lives or else we wouldn’t be alive? If we had a passion to live then we would do the simple things within it.

Or I’ve also thought to myself that there are different levels of passion, levels 1-10. Brushing our teeth means good hygiene, I personally like to keep clean and have good health so my passion for good health or brushing my teeth is level 7. Biking to work, hmm that means getting my cardio in and working out my leg muscles, so that’s level 7-8. And I can go on with a huge list.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

Passion get's you out the door. Commitment and discipline is what keeps you from coming right back in.

I assure you, you can really love say cycling and have a strong passion for cycling. Not everyday you're going to excited and want to jump out the door and want to ride 50-60 miles in rain through tons of steep climbs, hard intervals, etc. 

I started making music in the recent past and at first it was a big challenge to sit down and do the work. It just seemed like a massive undertaking. But, I kept at it. Slowly but surely. Sometimes only spending 10 minutes a day, and sometimes skipping altogether. Eventually I reached a "hook" point. Now I want to sit down and make music because I see myself making progress. It's a cycle, see progress, keep going, ..., more progress, keep going. That's exactly how I see self-development work in general. You start to see changes and it's less of a chore. Where people go wrong is by trying to accomplish too much at the same time. It's a slow crawl, one goal at a time. 

49 minutes ago, kieranperez said:

Passion get's you out the door. Commitment and discipline is what keeps you from coming right back in.

@kieranperez True, but with some exceptions. Sometimes passion is all you need. A great artist loves painting or drawing, and I'm sure he doesn't have to have massive amounts of discipline to work on his paintings. He would just take his time and enjoy the process. Unless he has a goal to create 50 paintings within' a month and is pressured by some management team for money, then in that case that would require some discipline and commitment.

With your cycling example for me, I love cycling, I bike to work every day. Yup not everyday I'm excited to bike to work, it often rains where I'm from. So 70% of the time these days I'm cycling through heavy rain, water splashing in my face, showing up to work with wet socks and wet underwear. My 9-5 is a grind, I have mixed feelings about it. Sometimes I forget to appreciate the decent pay. All I can say is that its a source of income that will help me invest in other things to reach my financial goals. So I'd say there's somewhat passion there, but mainly commitment and discipline.

If you want to get lost in process sure, go for it , but remember that passion does not free you from suffering and passion does not last forever. 

@7thLetter you misunderstand discipline. Discipline is committing to and working really hard at what you love to do even when you may not feel like it. I assure you, there are days when painters and artists of all kinds (painters, athletes, directors, etc.) have days and even periods where they don't feel like doing what it is they intrinsically want to do. People have this association with discipline and commitment with something that they hate and that it's all pain and struggle. If you love to do something, that thing get's you through that pain and struggle. People just often commit themselves to things that they know deep down they don't see any value in so they're working really hard while deep down they resent it. That's not a problem with discipline and commitment. That's a problem of priorities. 

At the end of the day, commitment and discipline is one of the biggest critical components that separate most people. This cannot be avoided. Not as a "people are just too goddamn lazy." Sure, that's true in one sense but there are those people out there who cognitively, psychologically, physically, and emotionally handle more strain and work. Most basketball players in the NBA don't have it in them to have the Jordan or Kobe work ethic. Most meditators don't have the work ethic or level of discipline to go through some of the crazy shit a lot of yogis and monks go through to attain full liberation. That's not always a fault, some people are just more talented and have a greater all around psychological capacity to endure more. 

Also, I'm not discounting passion. You need to know what you're passionate about so you can all in on that and apply that work ethic in that rather into something you hate, resent, and can't stand. Get crystal clear on your passion and double down on it with creativity on how to execute it and also double down with the commitment and discipline. 

Edited by kieranperez

@kieranperez  But what did I say to make you think I misunderstand discipline?

I understand discipline pretty well. I've been going to the gym for around 7 years now since grade 11, I LOVE the gym. A lot of ups and downs, setbacks, phases where I was going through depression but I still showed up anyway. A LOT of days where I felt like crap, but still showed up even if its a crappy workout.

Here's how I think about it:

Passion = Creates sustainability. The strong emotions, the love for a specific thing.

Discipline = The drive that keeps you moving forward to work towards a goal. Sometimes I think of it as a way to control or to manipulate yourself into action and pushing through the pain and struggle.

I guess we can also think of it as intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. Passion being intrinsic, discipline being extrinsic.

@purerogue Who said passion lasts forever? Who said passion frees you from suffering? Please elaborate on your ideas, sorry but I find 0 value from your posts.

Also, I don't know who you are and what kind of results you have in your life thinking like that. If you have everything I'm looking for then please let me know your ways

9 minutes ago, 7thLetter said:

@purerogue Who said passion lasts forever? Who said passion frees you from suffering? Please elaborate on your ideas, sorry but I find 0 value from your posts.

Also, I don't know who you are and what kind of results you have in your life thinking like that. If you have everything I'm looking for then please let me know your ways

Why exactly are you looking for passion then , if you agree? 

My point is that passion if not seen as passion and not controlled can be damaging to you, same as being obsessed with something, having addiction , or simply having some beliefs that you are passionate about, it makes you blind , clingy, attached and make wrong decisions, you do not need passion, it is just emotion.

If you know how to use passion it can be good tool, if you do not know, it can be huge disaster, or you can not use it all together, as it is just emotion. 

Edited by purerogue

41 minutes ago, purerogue said:

Why exactly are you looking for passion then , if you agree?

@purerogue If you read the original post, in a tiny font it says "Note: I'm not talking about myself but I'm mainly just seeking more understanding around this idea." Because I know people are going to assume I'm talking about myself.

42 minutes ago, purerogue said:

My point is that passion if not seen as passion and not controlled can be damaging to you, same as being obsessed with something, having addiction , or simply having some beliefs that you are passionate about, it makes you blind , clingy, attached and make wrong decisions, you do not need passion, it is just emotion.

How can it be damaging? And how does someone not see something as passion?

It's the activity that is damaging. If someone had a smoking addiction, its the activity of smoking that is damaging. Doesn't matter if they see it as a passion or addiction, those are just words.

You mentioned passion is just an emotion. If its is just an emotion, then why are you saying its damaging?

Are you aware that Leo often talks about finding your life purpose? Do you watch his videos?

What is the benefit of acquiring your mindset around this topic? What does it help you achieve? "Oh I'm not going to find my life purpose its damaging to my health, I'm just going to sit around and work a job."

I am sorry , if you do not see how any emotion without exception can be damaging because it changes how you view things around you, then I can't help you , take your time.

Best I can tell you is that every emotion changes your perspective, perspective you can get attached to, making you blind , not seeing things as they are and act on that emotions created perspective.

I will end this conversation with simple example 

Love

You can love someone and completely ignore persons wrongdoings and jump to persons defense no matter what he/she does, blinded by love.

@purerogue Okay now I get what you're saying.

But that is only in the moment. I thought you were saying over time it damages you through the snowball effect.

Sure you want to end this conversation, but again, that is only in the moment. Emotions in the past don't have a significant change on your perspective in the future. Maybe you can argue they do, but only little to none.

12 minutes ago, 7thLetter said:

@purerogue Okay now I get what you're saying.

But that is only in the moment. I thought you were saying over time it damages you through the snowball effect.

Sure you want to end this conversation, but again, that is only in the moment. Emotions in the past don't have a significant change on your perspective in the future. Maybe you can argue they do, but only little to none.

They have quite huge effect , think about it. 

@purerogue Its your thoughts that have an affect on you, not the emotion itself.

16 hours ago, 7thLetter said:

@purerogue Its your thoughts that have an affect on you, not the emotion itself.

Other way around

@kieranperez Or maybe the thoughts create the emotion in the first place.

1 hour ago, 7thLetter said:

Emotions drive your entire life. Period. End of story. 

1 hour ago, 7thLetter said:

That’s not even true sooo

3 minutes ago, kieranperez said:

That’s not even true sooo

@kieranperez I don’t even feel like breaking it down right now.

Is that your own opinion or did you get that idea from a reputable source