newmeditator

Need guidance and suggestions for meditation

16 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member of this community and happy to be associated with you all. I would need a small help in regards to meditation. So here  goes my case:

I fell in love with the idea of meditation around 2 years back and decided to try it. My technique was simple. I used sit with my spinal straight, close my eyes and use earplugs to cut off the external sound. I breathe slowly and deeply. I focus on my breath and if any thoughts come up then I try my best to pass them without any judgment.  And then again divert my focus back on my breath.

I used to do this daily for 10 minutes. 

And here is the problem: 

No problem with discipline or commitment. But after few days my head started feeling extremely heavy and it used to pain in center right between my eyebrows - right above the tip of my nose, near Glabella. Moreover, I was not able to sleep. I used to hardly sleep for 2-3 hours a day. Apart from that, I used to feel extremely groggy throughout the time when I was awake and used to also feel less energetic. The lousiness used to also impact my food habits and I was not able to eat much. Initial days were awesome but later such stuff started happening.

However, the moment I stop meditating everything turns OK. In 2 days life is back to normal. No sleep issues, no pain issues, nothing. But if I try again then the same cycle repeats.

Then I decided to change my technique and started following a Japanese technique that can help to relieve stress. Here is what I used to do:

https://upliftconnect.com/japanese-technique-stress-relief/

Again all OK initially however after a couple of weeks it started paining and sleep issues. I decided to drop it and everything came back to normal

Now in the span of 2 years, I have tried meditating multiple times, however, every time I try all goes OK for few days and then the issue starts. I have tried around 5-6 times in the last 2 years and failed every time.

Cause?

I would like to know the cause of this?

Can the technique be wrong? If so then what is the best and simple technique I should follow. An article or a video link or a simple explanation in your words will be helpful.

Also, I do night shifts and sleep during the day. Can this be the reason? If so then does it mean that people who work in night are not allowed to meditate?

The breathing exercise I tried was at 6 am in the morning before I go to sleep but I failed and the Japanese technique I tried at 6 pm in the evening before I go to my work and I failed again. What should be the best time to meditate for people who work in night shifts?

What should be the ultimate reason for such things and how should I overcome it. Has anyone else experienced such stuff? 

Most of the people face discipline and commitment issues while meditating, however, I don't have such issues. 10-20 minutes a day is something I would love to give willingly initially. I am open to exploring the world of meditation but this is the only issue I have. And looking forward to solving it. 

I have tried my best to be as precise as possible however if I have missed out of anything then feel free to ask me and I will answer your questions. I would also request to make the answer as simple as possible so the people who are facing the same issues can get help from you people without taking any extra efforts. Any positive contribution from your end will surely make my day. Thanks in advance.

Your meditation is working in my opinion i had that pain in center of the eyebrow aswell....it suppose to be like that like when you had strong leg workout you cant walk and feel groggy 2 days after...but im not that experienced meditator i find self inquiry works best for me hope someone tells you more about it..

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

I think you're doing everything okay, you just need to stick with it. It sounds to me like your ego is being sneaky and trying to make you think that your issues are directly related to the meditating, when they are actually with your ego itself, which fears meditation because it's a direct threat to its existence. If you stick with it long enough, there's a hump in there somewhere that you will get over, and your ego will acquiesce to the meditation and things will be smooth sailing for you. Also, after two or three weeks of doing it every day, I would see if you can raise your sit time to 20 minutes a day. It doubles the time, but it will likely quadruple your benefits.

When you get an sensation anywhere in the body or in mind, make a mental note to you self, example " pain in forhead" then let it go

After some time you do not need to make mental notes then you sit with no thoughts in mind, you become observer.

In meditation you dont look for an answer the outcome of the meditation is the answer, ultimat bliss.

But there is nothing in meditation :) only silent

It depends what you want to achieve, Enlightenment is pretty straight forward, but mediation is not just about it.

Hmmm this is a complex matter... I don't think you'll find a decent answer to your questions here but I have some thoughts that could help you.

It's likely that this is because of night work. I have some experience on this. I couldn't sleep either. But good thing was that I used to work only 2days like that then rest. So i didn't care that much.

It depends on the techneque a little. Some techneques that were done after night shift would give me horrable experiences but the same techneque done in a day would be very beautiful 

This night work thing really messes up meny things.

Maybe try a different techneque. The one that energizes the whole system. 

These two meditations that you mention. Japanese relaxation and breathing are both of calming nature. You see different practices produce different results. I did something of that nature witch I call - practices that put you to sleep (so it's like self-enquiry, vipassana, some kriyas, some chants, brething exercises, relaxation stuff, etc.), and it turned out very unpleasent and very unsuitable for such life style. But other practices that were of rejuvinating, harmonizing, energizing nature worked fine. 

These rejuvinating, harmonizing, energizing practices are usually either kriya or kundalini stuff or Yoga.

So you can try to look for that if you care.

Here's a set of practices I can suggest that are more of a energizing, activating, preparing for the day. Very good in the morning to start your day. You can try it. Probably after you wake up would be the best time to do it.

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

@PsiloPutty Thanks a lot for your reply. This is helpful. Its just that when the energy goes down I feel down. I cant even take care of my basic work. The pain is mostly heavy. I don't mind putting 20 mins. Discipline has never been an issue in this case. So should I continue with breathing technique? And that too in morning? Any other ways to curb ego if any?

@Nahm Thanks for your reply. Yes, already in the process to start day shift. The application is in processing and should be done in next 4-6 months. Till then no other option :-)

@Amanaki - Super thanks for your answer. This mental note things is something I will love for sure.

@purerogue - Thanks for your comments - No goals with meditation for now. Only want to fall in love with the process of doing it consistently for next 1 year. 

@Salvijus - Thanks for your comment and video. I am watching it. And thanks for sharing your experience. This is helpful.

2 minutes ago, newmeditator said:

@Amanaki - Super thanks for your answer. This mental note things is something I will love for sure.

You are very welcome :)

Good to hear. Working nights is rough. That “blockage” you have with meditation.....notice that resistant thought about working nights, is just a thought, and let it go (awareness of breathing from your stomach). It’s just a thought, it is not actually ‘working nights’ preventing meditation - just a thought about working nights, reoccurring, triggering, etc, that is the point of meditation, so consider not giving up on it.  See this difference and meditation would be renewed. Relief! With a catalyst like being out of whack with the circadian nature, you could really empty your mind in 4-6 months. Try meditating twice a day for a week.  

“I focus on my breath and if any thoughts come up then I try my best to pass them without any judgment.  And then again divert my focus back on my breath”.

(There’s no effort in breath awareness) 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Sure, you're very welcome. I would stick with it, maybe just do 15 mins/day until things start to smooth out and it gets incorporated into your life, then move it up to 20 mins, and even 30+ mins gradually over time. Don't focus on that future stuff, though. 

@Nahm Thanks again. This is really motivating. Yes. night work is rough however I never wanted that to be the reason for not meditating, Your words, explanation and technique is truly helpful. Thanks for the same. I don't mind jumping to it twice a week :-)

@PsiloPutty Thanks again. Everyone here has given me the best advice and I don't mind mixing them for the best results. So I have decided to jump into it for 15 mins/day before I sleep (that is 5 am in the morning) and will keep a check on the progress :-)