Sahil Pandit

Hero's Journey Mega Thread

7 posts in this topic

I didn't really grow into any adversity, had it pretty easy growing up. The only adversities I have in life are the challenges I make for myself and the actions I make towards my life purpose and the challenges associated with that. It's almost a dangerous state to be in, because even though you're passionate about your purpose and it gets naturally fueled that way, it's also dangerous because it's counter intuitive for someone to actively give themselves a challenge. I sometimes think I would be further ahead in my purpose if I did grow up under tougher conditions because then I would have more of a go getter mindset and have more of an incentive to "get out" and to make something of myself. I'm not doing bad right now, I am making progress little by little but I also know I'm definitely not as far as I could be, not by a long shot.

u ask the deepest question Sahil..why are they so slept on??

Mind going first? Share your story.

Mine is a bit dense cause i love detail. my most recent hero's journey was letting go of the love of my lyfe. :'P IM OK.

@K VIL When i was a junior in high school, i was the team captain for my cross country team. 1 month away from the championship meet, i decided that i wanted to take my friends with me to the mountains to train hills, so that we could be better than the competition.

So, on September 27th, 2014 at 9:45am (this moment is engraved into my brain..) i took two friends with me to the mountains. We had to hop fences in order to get passed private property. The gates were barbed wired, but we jumped anyways. WE WANTED TO WIN no matter what.

During the run, about two miles in, we were running uphill and this is where things wen't horribly wrong. As i was running up the mountain with my friends my foot got caught under neath a rock and i IMMEDIATELY fell straight toward the Earth with zero chance to brace myself for the impact.

As i fell, instinctively, i put my hands out.. EXCEPT i put my hand out the wrong way, with my palms FACE UP :o.. so when i fell i hyper extended my elbow and it snapped out of the socket.. yep, you heard that right.

Dazed and confused, i lay on the ground with adrenaline from the fall coursing through my body. I tried to get up on my own but i literally didn't have the strength. I had to have my friend help me. I wanted to keep running, i was addicted, but my friends said we should head back. So we walked 2 miles back to the beginning of the trail.

(I'm going to leave out a lot of detail, DM if you want to hear the details)

Fast forward. The doctor said i might need bolts in my elbow to re attach it. I said hell no. 

Instead, i decided to keep training. I ran for the next month and i held my elbow above my head for miles and miles. Also, i trained on my stationary bike with my hand above my head. My whole elbow to my wrist was completely dark purple.

Come race day, we race. 

2 miles into the race, I feel divine inspiration wash over me and i run a personal record race. I ended up running 18:03 for 3 miles with a broken elbow...

Not only that, but i placed well along with my teammates, and we won the championship.

As soon as i heard we won, i ran to our school bus far away from everyone and i just stood there crying and crying. I couldn't believe we did it...  

Biggest obstacle?  Learning how to use my cerebral nature in ways that help me instead of hinder me.

Challenging situation?  Getting off the Enlightenment theory and all my pet theories.  That's hard because when you have a strong need to know your ideas are like your babies.

How did I overcome this adversity?  I started to realize the limitations of theory.  I realized and saw that theory is like an over-perfect matrix that doesn't really quite apply to reality. 

How does this affect my life?  Now one of my projects in my Projects Binder is "get off theory" almost with the same tone as if theory is an addiction.  Also, I don't let theory and conceptual issues distract me and limit me as much anymore.

What's the key lesson learned?  You gotta be really careful with beliefs and theories -- they have pros but they also have cons.  It's tricky to figure out how to interpret theory and best use theory in your life.  This is basically what Conceptual Understanding Work as a branch of Personal Development Work addresses.

Edited by Joseph Maynor