lmfao

Lessons from stages purple + red to be integrated. Your thoughts?

9 posts in this topic

Within Spiral Dynamics, each stage has valuable lessons to learn from even after you've surpassed that stage. In the video linked above, Leo essentially states that a good way to understand what lessons you can take from each stage is to examine a historical and/or currently living figure who is a healthy embodiment of that stage. 

I'm finding this slightly difficult so I'll just share my thoughts. I finding it difficult to understand what role models can be used for beige, purple and red although I have some current speculations. The role models won't be healthy per see they'll just be visibly clear manifestations of their stage and you can see some very good qualities about them

Beige is such basically ground zero and understanding what constitutes beige is so incredibly deep because it underlies everything above it. Beige basically just shows us what's at the very essence of all living organisms which are animals. "Understanding and integrating" doesn't really have to be done (it's already done) because beige is extremely qualitavely different from the other stages in how you conceptualise it. No role models are needed. 

Next is purple. Purple is basically just joining/forming a tribe in order to acquire more fundamental biological resources: food, sex, water, shelter and etc. Purple is still quite centered around beige in that your actions have very little other motive than acquisition of fundamental physical needs. But it is at this stage that psychological needs of bonding and connection start to be met. What is the lesson to be integrated here? That co-operation is extremely useful for getting shit done and also sometimes having a sense of belonging? That seems like a legit lesson although anybody who's above stage red would have most likely fully integrated purple. Maybe a purple role model could be a mother in a hunter gathering society who cares very deeply about her tribe/family? 

And now for red. People in red realise that they don't need to keep sacrificing for the clan to meet their needs, they can exercise their own will on the world and get whatever the fuck they want. A red person will act impulsively (it is the word impulsive that is key to understanding a difference between red and orange) to meet his needs irregardless of the severe pain and distress he may inflict upon others. I think a healthy lesson from red is that sometimes you just need to look out for yourself and ruthlessly act. It is in red that you can get people with enormously big egos but there are still aspects of a big ego which you can integrate. People with big egos understand that if they want shit to change in the world, they have to take action and use force sometimes.

Maybe a callous hit man who'll feel no remorse when killing for money can be your "role model" in the sense that you can respect the fact that there is an aspect of this man which has guts and wants to manipulate the world around him. Maybe your role model for Red can just be anyone who feels little empathy and will actively hurt others on an impulse to get what they want? As morally repugnant as that sounds, there are still qualities about red (and purple mentioned previously) to be integrated. 

What lessons do you believe are to be integrated from purple and red? Do you agree with what I've said are the healthy aspects of these stages? Pushovers and wimps with low self esteem perhaps have a thing or two to learn from red. By integrating red, you can have a burning desire to achieve success. If Leo ever makes a video on assertiveness I think he'll mention stage red. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Here is a video of examples of healthy and unhealthy embodiment of Red. My favourite is still the Monkey :) (and probably the only real one).

Edited by Wyze

The sort of attitude here, if you can feel it,

I have a bare bones understanding of Spiral Dynamics, only drawing from Leo's videos and TJ Reeves video regarding it.

"Red can just be anyone who feels little empathy and will actively hurt others on an impulse to get what they want as morally repugnant as that sounds, there are still qualities about red (and purple mentioned previously) to be integrated."

It is not necessarily morally repugnant, it depends on what one wants. 

The lesson to be learned is to be Aggressive, not passive. By being to passive, you let all kind of evil to run rampant in this reality, and I suppose being to Aggressive is what creates all sorts of evil in the first place. Power comes from a place of dominance which is attained through being Aggressive, not by being passive. Passivity has it's own place. 

Red needs to be fully integrated. Red is the fuel of Hero's. People think Aggressiveness is bad, I would say it depends where that aggressiveness is directed and to what extent. If it is directed to the right fight you have a powerful force.

Edited by Lorcan

2 hours ago, Lorcan said:

The sort of attitude here, if you can feel it,

I have a bare bones understanding of Spiral Dynamics, only drawing from Leo's videos and TJ Reeves video regarding it.

"Red can just be anyone who feels little empathy and will actively hurt others on an impulse to get what they want as morally repugnant as that sounds, there are still qualities about red (and purple mentioned previously) to be integrated."

It is not necessarily morally repugnant, it depends on what one wants. 

The lesson to be learned is to be Aggressive, not passive. By being to passive, you let all kind of evil to run rampant in this reality, and I suppose being to Aggressive is what creates all sorts of evil in the first place. Power comes from a place of dominance which is attained through being Aggressive, not by being passive. Passivity has it's own place. 

Red needs to be fully integrated. Red is the fuel of Hero's. People think Aggressiveness is bad, I would say it depends where that aggressiveness is directed and to what extent. If it is directed to the right fight you have a powerful force.

Interesting. I need this Red fuel again. I had it a lot when I was a teen, but lost it with Blue, Orange and even Green teachings. I think a lot of problems that Green people have is that they don't want to embody Red, Blue and Orange lessons.

@brugluiz i think it depends on the upbringing and society the individual lives in. its not so much they "dont want to" but rather there was no opportunity. eg some women are less likely allowed to express their red due to their culture

15 hours ago, brugluiz said:

Interesting. I need this Red fuel again. I had it a lot when I was a teen, but lost it with Blue, Orange and even Green teachings. I think a lot of problems that Green people have is that they don't want to embody Red, Blue and Orange lessons.

Take what I said lightly. I am not sure of it , and I do not embody it. Not yet. It takes work which I have not put in.

What TJ Reeves says about integrating stage red.

Red is NOT an unhealthy stage. NO stages are inherently unhealthy. YOU choose whether or not to integrate a stage in a Healthy or unhealthy manor.

Red is about power. Red is about not being a coward. What makes a coward is making the wrong choice in the face of fear, and fear is falsehood. Falsehood must be OBLITERATED. Red HAS A CLEAR purpose with his life. Red is not afraid to be gritty and aggressive in the face of fear. Red gets out there and gets after it, his goal, which SHOULD involve being more loving.

A Red exercises willpower to be excellent in order to dominate in order to win. This is an ACTIVE thing, NOT a passive thing.

Red is about picking something and sticking with it. Red is about fighting. NOT constantly surrendering and being passive. 

Take this with a pinch of salt. I do not really know. Nor do I embody it. (Which I should embody it, it's fucking hard.)

Edited by Lorcan

9 hours ago, Lorcan said:

Take what I said lightly. I am not sure of it , and I do not embody it. Not yet. It takes work which I have not put in.

Thank ypu, @Lorcan! I didn't know that guy from the video.

When a teen, I was a Sanshou athlete and I would have fierce in my eyes. I don't know if I integrated it healthly, but sometimes I'm very hard to give up.