Shan

How did you fix MBTI "Turbulence" or "Neuroticism" from Big-5 ?

10 posts in this topic

We know that there is really no good or bad MBTI except each of the 16 types have different interests and passions. However, there is a 5th character which only one site (that I know) offers in its test and this is ASSERTIVE (A) VS. TURBULENT(T).  This compares well with Neuroticism from Big-5.

Anyone with high Turbulence traits basically are living a compromised life. You could tell to yourself you are OK but you can't imagine how amazing life is on the other side. If you are a ENTP or INTP the blow it is even lethal for the extreme thinking traits we have. Could lead to substance abuse, bad relations etc if one is very high on T.

Question and TL:DR : Has any of you realised the effect Turbulence / Neurotism is having on you life ? Is there a cure for this? I am specifically interested in people with high scores who realised this and then objectively worked on it to get their score to less than 10. Please share your story.

Yeah. I am INFP-T.

I think that is the part of my personality that makes for moodswings and bi-polar tendencies. 

I just started to meditate daily since a week. And I think that helps some. 

It helps in the moment to line up my thoughts and gives leverage to be more productive that day. 

Diet is important as well. Too much sugar, too much caffeine, cigarettes, and too much processed food for a prolonged time paired with a lot of stress can really set me off. 

The irony being that when I am stressed and in a hyper state I do crace sugar, caffeine, cigarettes, and hamburgers. 

14 minutes ago, SFRL said:

The irony being that when I am stressed and in a hyper state I do crace sugar, caffeine, cigarettes, and hamburgers. 

@SFRL Exactly ! 

The other irony is that until you sort out the "T" its hard to have a meditation and workout habits cultivated. Even when I was on a 1 hour practice streak for a year, I found my Neuroticism was hard to cope with. I suspect Neuroticism is the biggest obstacle to self-actualization and general success in life.

I tried sitting with the Emotions as suggested by Leo in one of his videos but that's not as easy for a high T. The next step left is to try medication but again as suggested by Leo its better to try natural / nootropics first. However, the combinations, side-effects, trial-and-error create such confusion, its hard to have a certain list.

I am really hoping to find one real-life success story and how-to on this topic. 

@Shan

What I find also creates a lot of stress and neuroticism and turbulence is being stuck low on Maslows Hierarchy of needs. 

I used to go broke every month. Bad living situation. Things like that. Now I got that handled it's already a lot better. 

Also I am 100% sold on the idea that T is all that bad. 

It can be enjoyable too. Plus kinda chaotic but also creative. 

@SFRL

I also think most people are Assertive than Turbulent. Therefore they can't relate to us. There is so far no story of anyone who was very turbulent who got systematically getting better.  (Maybe all of them couldn't cope up and died. Just kidding

I tried using big 5 for a while to inspire myself into action. I noticed I have mostly feminine traits except for very low orderliness. I imagined myself the ideal feminine archetype if I could complete that last characteristic. It worked for awhile. If you're mostly masculine you could try it and see if it works since low neuroticism is a masculine trait. 

Edited by Artaemis

I am also INFP-T. Turbulence is 67 percent.

I have experienced emotional truma recently and it was overwhelming. I felt like i have to withdraw from the outside world and live with myself. At that time, i was smoking heavily,  troubled with sleeping and thinking excessively. I had very difficult times.  Still the person who caused trauma hangs out in front of me (we live in same university). It slowly starts to drain my energy and lead me to anxiety and depression. 

@Shan I myself score high on conscientiousness and secondly neuroticism. I worry a lot about the future, health, happiness, wasting stuff (food, energy like room heat, etc.)  and I'm very anxious all the time and alert to danger. 

There are a couple of things that help to deal with it: more confidence/expanding your comfortzone, looking objectively to the facts, being aware and most importantly putting your problem in perspective. 

Because everyone is different, the big 5 combinations can create different effects. For example high neuroticism and low conscientiousness result in an physically aggressive person whom will fight. 

In my case I worry a lot about the future and I create multiple worst case scenarios to deal with the future. 

Both are high on neuroticism, but still very different. 

@SFRL people that score high on neuroticism are more critical and often play the devil's advocate. They also are the most accurate  in predicting risks, so in high risky jobs, like safety testers this is very useful.