Jordan94

Mixing techniques during vipassana retreat

8 posts in this topic

I'm gonna do a 10 day vipassana retreat next week, it will be my 5th one

I'm thinking about doing as well some self-inquiry, during some sittings I would do vipassana and some sittings self-inquiry, what do you guys think about that ?

For me, the appeal of a retreat, solo or group, is to pile a ton of practice hours into an intensely short timeframe. If you're happy with your current practice, then there's nothing wrong with incorporating it into the retreat. I don't think you'd be cheating yourself if you do some self-inquiry during those 10 days. 

2 hours ago, Jordan94 said:

I'm gonna do a 10 day vipassana retreat next week, it will be my 5th one

I'm thinking about doing as well some self-inquiry, during some sittings I would do vipassana and some sittings self-inquiry, what do you guys think about that ?

That's absolutly terrible idea :D

But I still recommend you try out vippassana. ;)

Those you do not forgive you fear. 

As long as you dont do Chanting. Then youll get kicked out.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Thanks for the answers

7 hours ago, PsiloPutty said:

For me, the appeal of a retreat, solo or group, is to pile a ton of practice hours into an intensely short timeframe. If you're happy with your current practice, then there's nothing wrong with incorporating it into the retreat. I don't think you'd be cheating yourself if you do some self-inquiry during those 10 days. 

I kinda see it the same way now, I go there more to have a retreat setup/environement

7 hours ago, Salvijus said:

That's absolutly terrible idea :D

But I still recommend you try out vippassana. ;)

Could you devellop ?

I already tried out viapssana since i did a few vipassana retreats already and been practicing outsite of retreats as well

7 hours ago, Rilles said:

As long as you dont do Chanting. Then youll get kicked out.

Yea that's what I thoughts as well, not really possible to do a lot of kriya neither except for juste pranayama since there would be movements involved for maha mudra etc

Edited by Jordan94

I dont see a problem with this at all. I assume you are doing the Goenka retreat. A good way to structure this may be to do vipassana during the group sittings and when you have the option to sit alone do self-inquiry 

Yes goenka retreat

Yea either this or pre-planning some sittings where i would do vipassana and some other self inquiry

10 hours ago, Jordan94 said:

Could you devellop ?

I already tried out viapssana since i did a few vipassana retreats already and been practicing outsite of retreats as well

Oh. I thought this is your first time. Do as you want then. But I don't think your self enquiry is gonna be of high quality there. The energy and atmosphere in there is made specifically for vippassana.

Those you do not forgive you fear.