Wyze

Racism

12 posts in this topic

Which level of Spiral Dynamics would the issue of Racism be on? How does a person/group get over the issue?

Edited by Wyze

Mostly Blue and below, and some Orange.

Green transcends identification with one's race, realizing that all races have equal merit.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Thanks Leo

I can see how the unhealthy group identity of Blue can be cause of the manifestation. Why would Orange also be involved in Racism? I thought on Orange it would be more about personal merit as well?

In practice Orange is still not far enough out of Blue. Orange will have a sense of superiority and insensitivity.

For example, the US Constitution was a stage Orange document crafted by stage Orange elites, but it still tolerated slavery.

Folks like Sam Harris or JP still hold a sort of sense of "Western culture and values are superior" which is not quite racism, but it is still a subtle sense of superiority and self-bias.

Orange still doesn't grasp the full extent of relativity. Orange still believes in objective external truths. As if there is one way the world is.

@Leo GuraTo play devils advocate wouldn’t Western values be superior according to the Spiral Dynamics metric? It is higher up in the spiral than purple/blue societies. I have family members who are really into the whole Western Civ thing and I struggle to effectively talk them out of it. 

Edited by Joel3102

Western values aren't superior. You can reach high stages of the Spiral under different value systems.

There can be stage Turquoise Islam or Hinduism or Japanese values.

To think that Western culture is superior to Hindu culture is brazenly ignorant and self-biased. A person could only hold that position because they have not studied Hindu culture. Hindu culture is extremely advanced in certain ways, like spiritually.

A 6th grader is not superior to a 2nd grader. They are just at different levels of growth. One had a head start. Don't mistake that for superiority.

All superiority is relative anyways. Superior according to who? Superior towards what end?

You can't really talk someone out of ignorance. They must outgrow it by experiencing new perspectives and experiences which shatter their limited enthocentric worldview.

A great way to become Green is through travel to exotic non-Western countries. Watch some Anthony Bourdain.

@Leo Gura This is brilliant. That Anthony Bourdain line gave me the chuckles, it's quite the comedic seller.

I also love what you said about not being able to convince someone out of ignorance. Thank you. Because you know, there are people in my life who I care for deeply but they also have one-dimensional thinking and just aren't willing to look at things from an aerial perspective, no matter what, they just aren't willing to step out and see all of the colors, the mosaic of life and all of its beautiful eccentricity. They won't invite anyone else's perspective in aside from their own. Personal evolution and self-improvement is marginalized.

They can be cynical and patriotic and stuck in the order of traditional mediocre values. They are racist. They are shallow materialists, rehashing over historical division and pride, trapped inside the Industrial Revolution. It's a personal challenge for me, still to this day, to not allow my immense worldview disagreements I have with my family clutter my energy. Because observing their viewpoints and behaviors has only helped me recognize my own values growing up, so I am grateful for their values in that sense. Because I learned a lot about myself and about what I truly care about in life, about my own path, what I don't want to become and what I do want to pursue, and that's to live life as spiritually, passionately and authentically as possible, and totally from the heart and soul.

But here's where things are messed up. Regardless of all the things I strongly disagree with them about and all the things that have made me cringe, the total different wavelengths we are on, I still accept them and do not abandon them, out of unconditional love. But I know for a fact if I ever dated someone of a different race or culture, I would be disowned. So the sanctimony and hypocrisy is painful indeed, and beyond comprehension. But I am finally realizing now that they are the only ones that can change, and they have to actually want to first and foremost, but it seems hard for most people to even acquire this desire.

I guess this is where Bob Ross and happy emerald Green trees must come in. 

Edited by VioletFlame

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

@VioletFlame Look, sometimes you just have toxic family which you must distance yourself from.

Don't try to be too cozy with your family. Go create your own life.

If your family will disown you for dating someone you love, fuck them. They don't really love you then.

You don't have to hate them. Just create some distance. You have the right to live however you want.

@Leo Gura Oh trust me I was long gone by 18 haha. I actually had the opportunity to move to Ireland for a few years at that age, which was a blessed life changing experience for me. My parents tend to throw a cheap guilt trip on me every now and then however when they bring up who is supposed to be taking care of them when they get older, which is something I worry about sometimes.

Edited by VioletFlame

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

Hehe thanks Leo.

I must say working in mysterious metaphysical shops and reading Tarot for a living was quite the liberating occupation to bring into their robotic consciousness.

Racism and Ethnocentrism are losing strategys. 

If only for people's world-wide increased ability to travel and mass media. 

FB contributes to that for exame, for all the bad things you can say about it. 

200 years from now we will all have a nice Mocha color ?

That above statement sounds awefully politically correct but there is some truth to that. 

If you want to read a book of where the human race might be going read the original Sci-fi novel "Mass effect". 

It was written to promote the videogame but it paints a picture where the future could be going. 

The joke is that ofcourse once the human race unites we will just start to be racist and ethnocentic towards Aliens. And the whole cycle continues. 

If think you can draw parallels between the times of world exploration, when Western Europe started to explore the world by ships and space exploration. 

Those people back then went on a ship and started to explore the big unknown world. Then they encountedred people with other habits and that looked sort of like them but different. Most Europeans back then never had seen an Asian, or a Black person, or an Indian.  And if they felt like they had the advantage they would exploit them.

The same thing will happen if we go out in space and let's say there are Aliens. Same thing will happen. 

In the end we are an aggressive species scared of the  unknown. Ego I guess. 

* How do you become less racist? Make friends with people of other races. 

Consuming other races culture and music doesn't hurt either.