SageModeAustin

Why isn't physical exercise emphasized in this forum more?

28 posts in this topic

I see, thanks for the comments everyone. I'm definitely going to implement more exercise into my life now.

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

10 hours ago, kieranperez said:

For the most part I agree with this because I get what you're saying but I notice a lot from the other side of the coin the toxicity of this alpha male egotistical drive to exert 1000% where they take their hard work in sport too seriously and thus take themselves too seriously. It's a balance. You'd be surprised how easy professional athletes even will go certain days. They make their easy super easy. A lot of athletes I know who've really "made it" really could benefit from a pure stage green transition from orange where their productivity and work ethic suffers a bit but in backing off they really connect with something deeper

Be detached to your extraordinary hard work. 

No I totally agree; you don't need to go balls to the wall all the time. You need to push the needle into the red from time to time, but mostly not. Kenyan endurance runners for example, as you know, spend most of their running time at a very light easy pace that probably any average runner could keep up with. 

I just mean that a lot of people feel like they're doing really well by going to the gym twice a week, and they ARE doing well because by comparison to the average lump they're actually doing something with their bodies. But we're really built and optimized to be *much* more active than that.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

hatha yoga. I think i need to do more of it. Aming for 2 times a week now. Will start swimming to.

The road to God is paved with bliss.

5 hours ago, outlandish said:

Kenyan endurance runners for example, as you know, spend most of their running time at a very light easy pace that probably any average runner could keep up with. 

My first thought when I read this: I LIKE THIS GUY!!! 

Hahahaha YEP! You'd be shocked at how slow they go. However, they (along with most East Africans) also have a genetic advantage so I wouldn't attribute their success just to that but as far as that example, you're on point. 

Weightlifting 5 days a week, having a specific day for each muscle part. Chest day, shoulder day, leg day, etc. Saturday is full body for me so I usually include ab workouts and cardio in there. Also I bike to work mon to fri for the rat race 9-5 grind.

Most importantly, get enough calories in and your protein as well.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

19 hours ago, kieranperez said:

they (along with most East Africans) also have a genetic advantage so I wouldn't attribute their success just to that but as far as that example, you're on point. 

I think the culture is important too. They have a culture in a lot of these villages where everyone runs, it's *the* sport in these areas, whereas in a lot of euro/american culture running is often seen as a punishment! I think that environment makes a big difference.

Genetics must play a big role too for sure. These east africans probably have persistence hunters more direct in their ancestry than the average european does for example. 

But none of that is any good without the training :D

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

1 hour ago, outlandish said:

I think the culture is important too. They have a culture in a lot of these villages where everyone runs, it's *the* sport in these areas, whereas in a lot of euro/american culture running is often seen as a punishment! I think that environment makes a big difference.

Genetics must play a big role too for sure. These east africans probably have persistence hunters more direct in their ancestry than the average european does for example. 

But none of that is any good without the training :D

It's not even the running thing every day from and to school and all that stuff. You can take Kenyans, Ethiopians, and those from those dominant East African countries who haven't run that much in their life and start training them and they'll still develop quick enough and eventually be dominant. Happens all the time. Particularly these days since Kenya for example is slowly but surely becoming more developed. You have athletes in the US who are training INCREDIBLY hard and get great results early on in middle and high school but then are fried and always getting hurt in college and post collegiately. That's why I don't take standout high school runners that seriously anymore. 

East Africans also, very interestingly are more dominant in more "shorter long distance stuff" up to say the marathon/50K. Put them in a stacked 100 miler with 20,000+ feet of vertical gain and loss at elevation and they'll get served on a platter. It's a much more even playing field in a certain sense the longer you go. 

It's really a combination of persistence hunting for hundreds of thousands of years at elevation for thousands of generations throughout human history if we're talking about genetics. I mean, runners from there to a very shocking extent have horrendous form and mechanics. You'd NEVER see say an American woman run with the form of a runner like Mary Keitany and be even sub 2:22 in the marathon. 

It's also hard to talk about this in running circles because it's so PC because we can't call out the reality of this whole thing. We have to pretend that it's just because of hard work and make a whole inspiring marketing campaign about it and turn it into this Stage Red/Orange mentality of "I'm the best because I train harder than you. Talent doesn't exist." People don't want to acknowledge their gifts... and then they go thanking Christ and God as though Christ was some figure who died so we can all be success chasers... that's a tangent though LOL

Same thing in spiritual circles too though with people who meditation or contemplating for hours and hours and hours and hours and it comes more naturally to them and have better concentration than most people and stuff. 

I lift three times a week

Made a ton of progress this year and it feels amazing. took my squat up to 90kg from 50kg.